MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 12-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Best shampoo to use?

I am trying to figure out what's a good shampoo to use on my baby? He has flully thick fur and looks i guess perm press when I wash him and blow dry it out. I been using some whitening shampoo i got from walmart but I been reading using whitening shampoo every week is not good for his fur. And I like to wash him every week usually Fridays. But anyways what's a good shampoo to get for him?
Montrell25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

I have been using Nature's Specialties plum silky shampoo with conditioner and LOVE it!
And using the whitening shampoo every week will damage the coat!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Okay i will look that brand up. I also been reading alot of people using Spectrum-10 so I might give that a try also
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

I wash with Prell and follow up with the shampoo that Carol named. Prell does not break the hair. I use conditioners depending if they need it.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Alright. I will look that brand up and do a little research. I am thinking about "Nature's Specialties plum" i read some good reviews on that. But I also read about spectrum-10 so old witch one.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell25 View Post
Alright. I will look that brand up and do a little research. I am thinking about "Nature's Specialties plum" i read some good reviews on that. But I also read about spectrum-10 so old witch one.
I have used both and alternate between the two. Both are great products!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

My local pet boutique sells TropiClean Spa Color White Coat Shampoo. I might give that a try because I been reading good stuff about it and a lot of people use it on maltese. And its also is safe because its not a whitening shampoo.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
My local pet boutique sells TropiClean Spa Color White Coat Shampoo. I might give that a try because I been reading good stuff about it and a lot of people use it on maltese. And its also is safe because its not a whitening shampoo.
I just replied on another thread that this is exactly what I use on my Emma! I've had great luck with it and have used it since she was a puppy (she's almost 8 now). I also use conditioner with it. I only bathe her every 7-8 weeks unless she happens to get extra messy in between, so I've had no issues with over-drying. I also use this: The Stuff
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Mama View Post
I just replied on another thread that this is exactly what I use on my Emma! I've had great luck with it and have used it since she was a puppy (she's almost 8 now). I also use conditioner with it. I only bathe her every 7-8 weeks unless she happens to get extra messy in between, so I've had no issues with over-drying. I also use this: The Stuff
Awesome
I didn't get a conditioner or a detangler because she didnt have none. I might order that stuff you posted
Old 12-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

I usually try to bath him every Friday because he goes outside to use the bathroom and sometimes the ground is wet so of course it gets on his paws. And just rather do it weekly to make sure he smells and is clean. I bathe him and clean his ears weekly
Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
I usually try to bath him every Friday because he goes outside to use the bathroom and sometimes the ground is wet so of course it gets on his paws. And just rather do it weekly to make sure he smells and is clean. I bathe him and clean his ears weekly
Emma is puppy pad trained so she stays clean a lot longer by not having to go outside during bad weather. You might find that you want to at least try to switch to bathing every two weeks during the winter months to avoid drying out your baby's skin. (I know that my skin sure doesn't like winter weather!) Maybe "spot clean" the paws/legs in between baths...
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Yeah i might try that if I start to notice him scratching from the dry skin.