MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Minniemalt
MT Newbie

When to contact a breeder

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. We lost our rescue maltese, Minnie in November to cancer. We have decided for our next furbaby we would like to get a maltese puppy. We are hoping to have the puppy by this coming fall. How far in advance would I have to contact a breeder? I don't want to wait until the end of August and then have it take another year. I have only had 2 rescues so I am unsure how it works to get a dog from a reputable breeder (which I have been researching).
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Minniemalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Go ahead and contact a breeder. However, when you get a puppy, ask to see the parents and litter mates. You might ask the trick question such as, "How long do you keep the puppies before they go to their forever homes." The correct answer would be 12 weeks with a Maltese but depending on the size, eating etc., some can leave by 10 weeks. Anything less, keep on walking. lol Have the purchase include a vet check with your vet. You want a health check and check for under or overbite. By twelve weeks, the vet can check to see if their are two ball sacks if it is a male. It is my choice and my vets choice to vaccinate with a mini dose. The breeder will know if your puppy reacted to the vaccine. I think this is important because you will want to have Benadryl on hand for the next shot. Find out if that breeder furnishes a going home package and what is included. If not, find out what she is feeding. You want to have that food so your puppy won't get sick. You can gradually switch to a new food. Ask if they will be microchipped because if not you will want to get this done. Ask if there is a full registration. If not, do you want to pay all that money and that not be your decision. Lastly, I figure you will google the breeder. Feel free to post the breeder's name on this forum and see if anyone has had a good or bad report. Good luck in your search.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Minniemalt
MT Newbie

Thank you for all the information. That is helpful. I only have experience with older dogs with health issues so I have no clue what to ask when looking for a puppy.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Ask the breeder also for a health certificate valid for one year. You should have a bile acid test done on the pup, but this test should be done at 16 weeks. This can indicate if the pup is prone to liver shunt. Some Maltese are prone to this. So to be on the safe side this is a test the breeder should do. Do some research on this. Some breeders have waiting lists so it's not too early if you want to get a pup in the fall.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I see you are located in PA. Be careful, PA is known for puppy mills. A reputable breeder will not sell you a pup who is less than 12 weeks old. Only a show breeder is considered reputable by the American Maltese Association. A show breeder will not sell you a pup without a contract that stipulates that you have to spay/neuter the pup at a certain age. I don't recommend spay/neuter before the pup is fully grown. All things you have to research on. If the pup comes with a registration other than AKC they are not from a good breeder. My first Maltese was from a Hobby breeder but had AKC registration. I saw the parents and grand parents on site. Now they are show breeders and ask 5 times the price I paid.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
2Malts4Me
Donating MT 500 Club Member

Hi Welcome to the forum. I see you are from PA. i am too! Where are you located? Be careful, there are many many puppy mills in my area. Good luck with your search for a new baby. I am so sorry for your loss of Minnie. ((Hugs))
2Malts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Minniemalt
MT Newbie

Yes I am aware of PA having so many puppy mills. I was a firm believer in rescue and never thought I would consider any other options, but after losing both my Mom and my Minnie this year I would like to have a healthy dog for a long time. Too many losses in a short time. Our first dog was a 10 year old poodle we had for 5 and 1/2 years. He was dumped by his owners and turned out to have diabetes insipidus. He passed in 2012. Still miss him terribly. Was hoping to have Minnie for a longer time, but she had at least one type of cancer and possible 2 other types. I would bet she was from a puppy mill. She was the sweetest dog though.
As far as breeders to contact I have heard good things about Josymir and Bevway. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
Minniemalt
MT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Malts4Me View Post
Hi Welcome to the forum. I see you are from PA. i am too! Where are you located? Be careful, there are many many puppy mills in my area. Good luck with your search for a new baby. I am so sorry for your loss of Minnie. ((Hugs))
We are located in Bucks county. Thanks for the condolences. I still cannot believe she is gone.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:30 AM   #9
Zanadu'sMom
Donating MT 14,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemalt View Post
Yes I am aware of PA having so many puppy mills. I was a firm believer in rescue and never thought I would consider any other options, but after losing both my Mom and my Minnie this year I would like to have a healthy dog for a long time. Too many losses in a short time. Our first dog was a 10 year old poodle we had for 5 and 1/2 years. He was dumped by his owners and turned out to have diabetes insipidus. He passed in 2012. Still miss him terribly. Was hoping to have Minnie for a longer time, but she had at least one type of cancer and possible 2 other types. I would bet she was from a puppy mill. She was the sweetest dog though.
As far as breeders to contact I have heard good things about Josymir and Bevway. Any thoughts?
Joysmir is a wonderful breeder..When I was looking I called them all... Tajon had a beautiful girl, she was only 2500, which is cheap for a girl.. Just call them all and I guarantee you will find some babies available when you are ready..If you want to stay local, Joysmir is great...You probably will have to wait for
puppies or she may have them now, I am not sure.. These are reputable Maltese breeders in Pennsylvania..
http://www.americanmaltese.org/breed...e/Pennsylvania.. Good Luck <3
Zanadu'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
Minniemalt
MT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanadu'sMom View Post
Joysmir is a wonderful breeder..When I was looking I called them all... Tajon had a beautiful girl, she was only 2500, which is cheap for a girl.. Just call them all and I guarantee you will find some babies available when you are ready..If you want to stay local, Joysmir is great...You probably will have to wait for
puppies or she may have them now, I am not sure.. These are reputable Maltese breeders in Pennsylvania..
http://www.americanmaltese.org/breed...e/Pennsylvania.. Good Luck <3
Thanks. Where did you get your fluff? I am trying to limit myself to PA, NJ or NY.