MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
CinttisLuke
No Longer a Member

Sounds great!!
CinttisLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Jasper's Mom
Maltese Authority

Im getting a food processor.. this sounds yummy and easy!!
Jasper's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Jasper's Mom
Maltese Authority

ahhh so Im going to do what you do and replace the wheat with brown rice flour!!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
CinttisLuke
No Longer a Member

Love peanut butter!! Yummyy
Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
CinttisLuke
No Longer a Member

Thanks Carol
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper's Mom View Post
Im getting a food processor.. this sounds yummy and easy!!
Do you have a cake decorator??? I bought one for $25 from JoAnn Fabrics but I had a 50% off an item ....... saved big bucks and I LOVE using it.

There is one thing in my kitchen, no make that two..........my Cuisnart Food Processor and my Kuerig Single Serve coffee maker.....................that I would go in debt to replace.

I just can't live without them!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinttisLuke View Post
Thanks Carol!! I'll try this one!! OOOHh I did the chicken liver this weekend!!:D

And did they like them?? Did you try them??? I tried them and so did the hubby........NOT BAD....but rather livery tasting!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
Eklectic
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Do you have a cake decorator??? I bought one for $25 from JoAnn Fabrics but I had a 50% off an item ....... saved big bucks and I LOVE using it.

There is one thing in my kitchen, no make that two..........my Cuisnart Food Processor and my Kuerig Single Serve coffee maker.....................that I would go in debt to replace.

I agree with you!!!

And THANK YOU FOR POSTING all your recipes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Mi Corazon
Maltese Talker

You can also use a pastry bag and a variety of tips to make differant shapes. Just like making cookies.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Jasper's Mom
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post

LOL I dont have a cake decorator either. I told my hubby Id like a food processor for my bday, which is in Sept!! This will be fun!!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #26
Morkie4
Donating Member

Thumbs up Cranola Treats

I made some granola/peanut butter treats the other day for the fluffs and while they didn't go over as well as the liver treats, they did eat them anyway. I used some granola, flaxseed, brown rice flour, eggs, rolled oats, peanut butter and water put through my food processor. I made it to the consisteny of a pie crust and rolled small amounts out at a time between two pieces of parchment paper. Took a cookie cutter and kept doing the process until all the batter was used. Then cooked it at 350 degrees for about 15 -25 minutes on parchment paper for easy clean up. They suggest you cut the oven off after 15 minutes and let them stay in the oven to make it crunchy but I always have so much batter that I can't wait! So I cook it a little bit longer keeping a sharp eye on it so it doesn't get too brown on the bottom and then cool it on a rack and that's all there is to it. They firm up and get crunchy after they cool.

100_4066.jpg100_4067.jpg100_4068.jpg100_4069.jpg
Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #27
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Nice

Looks so YUMMY
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #28
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
Nice

Looks so YUMMY
They are.......sometimes I sneak one when I give them one!

I mean, I have to make sure they are good, right????
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
snowflake
Maltese Talker

Just new at making food and treats for Schatze I notice a lot of meals have cornmeal in them is this okay for maltese? Tonight it is salmon patties with veggies/cottage cheese.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
Just new at making food and treats for Schatze I notice a lot of meals have cornmeal in them is this okay for maltese? Tonight it is salmon patties with veggies/cottage cheese.
I've never thought about using cornmeal but found this on the internet .........I know some fluffs are allergic to corn products and I guess that is why I haven't tried using it in the treats. I may try a batch with the cornmeal and see how the kids do with it. Thanks for the question!!!

Homemade dog treats, commercial dog treats and commercial dog food often use cornmeal as dog treat or dog food ingredients. Not only does it add crunchy texture and flavor, it improves nutrition and protein.

Although cornmeal can be an allergan, if you have a pet with gluten allergies, he probably can still eat cornmeal, because it doesn’t contain gluten.

Cornmeal is good for most dogs because it contains B vitamins, vitamin C, potassium and magnesium (helps provide energy). It is also useful for keeping blood pressure in check and for preventing strokes.

However, a word of caution. When you add cornmeal to the ingredients in a recipe, you need to be careful not to add too much. Here's why...It has a coarse texture and too much cornmeal can cause your dough to become crumbly, and make it difficult to work with!

So do a little experimenting. If you want a dough that is more elastic, then you will need to substitute unbleached white flour for some of the cornmeal. If you want a dog biscuit that is really crunchy, add more cornmeal.

In fact, you aren't limited to dog biscuits or dog cookies when you use cornmeal for homemade dog treats, you can experiment with dog cakes or dog muffins, or make a dog corn bread.

Most importantly, see what your dog likes best!

Of course for me, I would not use white flour but would use the brown rice flour.