MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Morkie4
Donating Member

Unhappy Kallie Not Doing Well

Well it has been a rough couple of weeks. Kallie, out of the blue, started to pant without let up and became very very needy which she is usually not needy or affectionate. She just likes to do her own thing and never goes with the flow but that all changed and now she is like my shadow needing to be held or touching me. But the real issue is that she has heart disease (murmur and enlarged heart). We started her on medicine about a week and a half ago and it didn't seem like it was going to work so we were planning a trip to an diagnostic animal hospital. But low and behold we saw some improvement and she is doing better. She doesn't pant as much but is still very needy which makes getting things done very hard. The vet said she is in no pain and that has always been my biggest concern with any of my animals......I will not let them be in pain. So for now, we are keeping her on medicine and hoping that with each passing day that she improves........she'll not get better but her quality of life will be one that "I" can live with and one she can live with.

The old girl is going to be 14 in a couple of months and I know that as they age, things start going south but we are not giving up on her. We are going to do everything we can to keep her happy, free of pain and a good quality of life.

I have lost a lot of sleep trying to console her when she was at her worse and so haven't replied maybe to everyone's posts and I'm sorry but "SHE" was my priority and I know "ALL OF YOU" would do the same.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

At 14 you can expect anything. She knows something is wrong and looks to you for comfort.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
JanG
Maltese Authority

Awww, it's so hard when they don't feel well and there's nothing you can do to make them feel better.

Of course we understand that she's your priority right now. Keep us posted on her!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Carol, Jack and I send hugs and kisses to sweet Kallie and hope she improves every day.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Hugs to Kallie and to you.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

How is Kallie doing?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Zeus has a heart murmur and he is 16. He coughs sometimes. I have found over the years when they are needy they don't feel good. If they pant, they are usually in discomfort. Perhaps the medicine is not agreeing with her. My sister's pug had heart disease and the pill did not make him pant. He did like Zeus, could not breathe or cough. Have they done an x ray to rule out a tumor. Sending hugs.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
How is Kallie doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphslp View Post
Zeus has a heart murmur and he is 16. He coughs sometimes. I have found over the years when they are needy they don't feel good. If they pant, they are usually in discomfort. Perhaps the medicine is not agreeing with her. My sister's pug had heart disease and the pill did not make him pant. He did like Zeus, could not breathe or cough. Have they done an x ray to rule out a tumor. Sending hugs.
Kallie may have improved a little with the meds, but only a little......but I can see in her eyes that she is not herself and seems confused (so hard to watch). She just sleeps for short periods of time and her breathing pattern is very brisk but no deep breaths. Then she wakes up in a sort of panic mode and goes into a very rapid and loud panting but not quite a gasping. She won't leave my side and sometimes seems so restless like she just can't relax or get comfortable. I try to pet, pat and console her and finally she settles. She seems very agitated with the other fluffs and bedtime became a battle keeping her from going after the others so she and I have taken up residency at night in the guest room and that has helped her rest better but I toss and turn all night checking on her all throughout the night.....and I am a very light sleeper so whenever she moves I wake up. I am borderline exhausted. It rips my heart out when she gets in those panic moments and throws her head backwards and looks at me with those beautiful brown eyes....not sure if she is looking at me with thankful eyes for being there for her or with eyes looking for help. It's very scarey sometimes when she stops breathing for several seconds and lays there with staring unfocused eyes.....last evening was the worse as it happened more than usual. I am a complete basket case.

Yes, Jenelle, they did x-rays right away on the first visit and found the enlarged heart but no tumors. Thank goodness.

The vet said she was not in pain at this point but she is sooooo tired and restless when she is awake. She has started this backing up thing lately. When I am standing like in the kitchen or doing laundry, she stands in front of me and begins backing up until she hits something or runs into my leg. Just very odd for her. She is just not herself.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #9
JanG
Maltese Authority

I'm so sorry that Kallie isn't feeling well. I wish there was some magic pill we could give her that would help her.

All you can do is love her and do all you know to do for her and that's what rips out your heart - knowing it's not enough to cure her.

Hugs to you and Kallie both.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

It is hard to see them that way and you cannot help them. We made the decision to put Alex down when the medicine stopped working. The coughing was so bad. I did not want to watch him suffocate.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
bphslp

Carol, it might not be her heart making her panic. From what you described, she might have lost most of her sight. Zeus cannot see very good. He has a panic attack over things like me picking him up to go outside. He use to stand to be groomed and now he does this running in place. It took Ben and I to groom him. He did enjoy the bath. He does the back up thing, but I believe it is because he gets confused at times. I am so sorry and hope she gets better. They do sleep a lot as they age. You have to go with your gut when having a senior. If things don't seem right, they aren't. I can't tell you how many times we rushed Mickey to the vet. When she has an episode, film it on your phone and show it to your vet. I pray she is just getting use to her medication and will settle down.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
It is hard to see them that way and you cannot help them. We made the decision to put Alex down when the medicine stopped working. The coughing was so bad. I did not want to watch him suffocate.
That's why we put our little Kelsey down in 2004....coughing got bad even with two meds and we did not want her to get to the point she was suffering and her quality of life was no longer there. It was just time to let her go and she was only 12 1/2 years old.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
bphslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
That's why we put our little Kelsey down in 2004....coughing got bad even with two meds and we did not want her to get to the point she was suffering and her quality of life was no longer there. It was just time to let her go and she was only 12 1/2 years old.
Hugs. Hopefully things will turn around for her.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Carol, it might not be her heart making her panic. From what you described, she might have lost most of her sight. Zeus cannot see very good. He has a panic attack over things like me picking him up to go outside. He use to stand to be groomed and now he does this running in place. It took Ben and I to groom him. He did enjoy the bath. He does the back up thing, but I believe it is because he gets confused at times. I am so sorry and hope she gets better. They do sleep a lot as they age. You have to go with your gut when having a senior. If things don't seem right, they aren't. I can't tell you how many times we rushed Mickey to the vet. When she has an episode, film it on your phone and show it to your vet. I pray she is just getting use to her medication and will settle down.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think her sight is fine as she can maneuver around things as good as ever and follows me everywhere either with her eyes or physically like a shadow. The other thing is her sleeping is only brief times so I know she is tired. And before all this "heavy panting" started, see slept a lot. If I move a muscle, she awakens and starts panting. Today her tongue turned more blue than pink but it's been pink for most of the past week. It has been a really couple of rough weeks......just wish I was seeing something that gave me some encouagement.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Hugs. Hopefully things will turn around for her.
I hope so but I'm not feeling very positive. I don't want to hold on to false hopes and have her suffer even a little but I don't want to give up on her either.