MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
MarthaBT
Maltese Talker

Cushings and Diabetes

Have any of you had a Maltese with Cushings and Diabetes? If so, can you share your experience? My Sugar was diagnosed a couple of months ago and the vets are having a hard time getting the medications right. I'd appreciate your input so much!!! Thanks - Martha and Sugar
MarthaBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

The cushings effects the sugar level. I hope all works out for you.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I have heard of the those diseases but have not had any experience with them. I hope and pray the vet can get things under control.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
JanG
Maltese Authority

Our CiCi was tested for Cushings but the tests came back negative. I don't know much about the disease but wish you all the best with Sugar and managing the diseases.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Angels4
Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaBT View Post
Have any of you had a Maltese with Cushings and Diabetes? If so, can you share your experience? My Sugar was diagnosed a couple of months ago and the vets are having a hard time getting the medications right. I'd appreciate your input so much!!! Thanks - Martha and Sugar

Hi Martha...my little one has cushings but not diabetes...it would take time for the vet to try to get both under control with the meds. What meds is Sugar on. With Cushing's it makes them feel hungry all the time. Plus my little one is prone to stones and regular dog foods contain ingredients that can aid in producing stones so I have been home cooking for him.

Here is a link/Forum that may be helpful in answering your questions.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum

Did they check on Sugar's thryoid? Does it look like Sugar's coat is thinning on her back? Did your vet explain what causes cushings? Let us know how Sugar is doing.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
eillo
Maltese Talker

Cushings

My little Oliver had a number of medical issues throughout his life.
First he had an autoimmune clotting problem at the age of 5, then bladder stones, after which he was diagnosed with Cushings (age of 7). They treated the cushings and it became Addison's disease. He was treated with prednisone. At 10, he developed Bladder cancer, had surgery and chemo and I finally lost him at the grand old age of 15.5 years. This was the little dog no one ever thought would grow into old age. Miracles can happen. He was my miracle dog.

So, do not lose hope. Just love the little one.

My vet, however, kept telling me next dog Pet Insurance. Thus my Sherlock today is insured.

Last edited by eillo; 06-23-2017 at 07:54 AM.
eillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
eillo
Maltese Talker

best wishes to you & your little one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaBT View Post
Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillo View Post
My little Oliver had a number of medical issues throughout his life.
First he had an autoimmune clotting problem at the age of 5, then bladder stones, after which he was diagnosed with Cushings (age of 7). They treated the cushings and it became Addison's disease. He was treated with prednisone. At 10, he developed Bladder cancer, had surgery and chemo and I finally lost him at the grand old age of 15.5 years. This was the little dog no one ever thought would grow into old age. Miracles can happen. He was my miracle dog.

So, do not lose hope. Just love the little one.

My vet, however, kept telling me next dog Pet Insurance. Thus my Sherlock today is insured.
My goodness your little one went through a lot of problems and still made it to 15 years old. But at what price ! And he made it because of you.

My first Maltese had 2 surgeries (each leg) for luxating patella and cruciate ligament. He was a jumper and this did not help. He also came down with thrombocetopenia (idiotic because they did not know where it came from). We treated it with prednisone and he did not have another recurrence. Then at age 10 he was diagnosed with a heart murmur. With the medicine he made it to age 14.

Now with Charlie I have pet insurance too. Used it twice already for his teeth. He has really bad teeth and at age 7 he already lost 10 teeth. The funny thing is that the more teeth he loses the more he eats. So I hope he is not going to lose more teeth. Lol.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
eillo
Maltese Talker

Pet insurance

I have used the pet insurance so far basically just for his annual vaccinations and physicals. My little guy has so far been healthy.

Are you happy with your insurance thus far?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillo View Post
I have used the pet insurance so far basically just for his annual vaccinations and physicals. My little guy has so far been healthy.

Are you happy with your insurance thus far?
I am very happy with having the insurance for Jack. He has to have a shot every 10 days for allergies, so the serum and needles are covered. We get reimbursed for his yearly visits, his dermatology visits and thank goodness we got almost half back on Jack's big spinal surgery last August. That was a huge bill.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
eillo
Maltese Talker

Thanks it is good to know

Its great that the insurance actually comes through for you.
Always worry that they might try to deny too many claims.