MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Purina pro plan

I just got a boy maltese that's about 5 months old. The breeder had him on purina pro plan focus food. I currently am still feeding him this food and he eats it. But i been looking at reviews on the food and it doesn't seem that have good reviews. I am wondering is this pro plan purina food good for my puppy? He eats it and has a lot of energy
Montrell25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Hi, and welcome to MT. I too have read some articles on purina pro plan, we have never used it, and I don't think we ever would, but that is just my opinion.
A lot of our members can give really good advice on their choices, some use home cooked food, I have used Orijen for quite some time and he really likes it.
I'm sure you will get some good advice from the other ladies.
Please tell all about your puppy! And about you too
Old 12-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Well i am in the US and we dont have that kind here. I was thinking about switching to blue Buffalo sense i can find that at my local Tractor supply. Well he is 5 months old and i bought it from a breeder who gave of the ckc papers. He is a very sweet puppy. He has bad tear stains well not too bad i think it is because he is teething but i am really thinking about switching toe Blue Buffalo.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

I fed every food on the planet for two years trying to find a food that didn't bother their stomachs. I feed weight management Organix. I order it from chewy.com. I order two bags so I can get free shipping. Years ago, some show people fed Pro Plan, mixed with their cooked stuff. At that time, there weren't that many brands to pick. However, now there are some good foods. If what you are feeding bothers their eyes or stomach's don't feed it.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

I have a girlfriend who researches dog food to the nth degree and she says any Purina food is very low-grade. (BTW-I understand that Merrick, one of the top foods was recently sold to Purina & the recipe has changed for the worst). The Pro-Plan may be causing your dog's tear-staining.

Blue Buffalo is not much better but at least doesn't have a lot of corn. My friend says it's not only what ingredients but the quality of ingredients that makes a difference. For instance, some dog foods list 'chicken' or other meats but that meat may have come from animals that died of some disease instead of being used specifically for dog food.

We're feeding Acana and also mail order it because we're rural and can't get a lot of quality dog foods locally. We order small bags but feed so little that we divide it up and store the portions in our large freezer.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #6
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Alright. So what's a good brand I can get local from the pet store or tractor supply? Because that I been trying to find a good brand but can't find it local.

So is Acana a real good brand to feed? And I didn't know the purina was a low grade food guess it would best to switch while he is still young
Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 AM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

Hello and welcome to Maltesetalk!!

I have four dogs and several have allergies. An allergy to chicken, beef venison, flaxseed, brown rice flour, etc.

Soooo it is really hard to find a dog food that "fits" my pack. Even the best of the best dog food would not work as most of your premium dog foods add flaxseed because it is a great supplement for MOST dogs.......just not mine!

With that said, I would, if I were you, switch from proplan to a better quality dog food . Do you know the old saying, " You are what you eat?" I think it is the same with our furry family members.

I have researched and tried a lot of dog foods over the years including home cooking for two years. I now feed "Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient" Duck, as well as the Limited Ingredient Lamb and Peas." They like it and it fits all of their special diet needs.

I also order from www.chewy.com because I always order at least $49.99 worth of products for the free shipping and my order "always arrives " within two business days. Can't beat their prices and speed of delivery.

If you decide to switch to another product be sure to add it to his diet gradually or it will cause stomach upset and diarrhea.

Again, welcome to Maltesetalk!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:46 AM   #8
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Well what he eats now is chicken and rice so he likes the chicken and rice food. I want to stick with chicken and rice but find a food that is better quality chicken and rice but not sure in what to get. I want something good but not too expensive
Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 AM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell25 View Post
Well what he eats now is chicken and rice so he likes the chicken and rice food. I want to stick with chicken and rice but find a food that is better quality chicken and rice but not sure in what to get. I want something good but not too expensive
If you go to Nature's Variety Web site, you should be able to find a chicken product and most likely purchase it from chewy.com

Here is some very interesting reading about dog food made with chicken:

https://blueseal.com/tech-talks/chic...e-differences/
Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 AM   #10
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Okay I will see if I can find a Nature's Variety chicken food for him. So Nature's Variety is a good brand to get?

Nature's Variety is very expensive though. Is there anything a little cheaper but still good quailty food?

Last edited by Montrell25; 12-05-2016 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #11
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Is there any good food at tractor supply I can get? I want to change him to something more healthier as soon as possible
Old 12-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #12
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Is there any good food at tractor supply I can get? I want to change him to something more healthier as soon as possible
The dog food at Tractor Supply is mainly made at the Diamond dog food company. I know the Tractor Supply's own label '4Health' is made at Diamond and Diamond has the absolute worst recall record of any dog food manufacturer. While private labels like Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc. can specify the types of ingredients, Diamond does the sourcing of these ingredients as cheaply as possible and the same equipment is used for all dog food brands. There have been more pet deaths from food made at Diamond facilities than probably any other factory. Metal shavings, glass, rat poison and more gross stuff goes into Diamond pet food than you can imagine.

The truth is, you can either feed your dog cheaply or feed it so it has the best chance of growing up and living out it's life as healthily as possible.

The local chain stores (like WalMart, Tractor Supply, Southern States, etc) simply do not carry quality dog food.

You can and should research dog foods online. One place to start is:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

They even have a page telling you tips on choosing a dog food.

There are other sites that give the inside scoop on dog foods too. Please do your homework and buy the best food you possibly can for your new little one!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #13
Morkie4
Donating Member

Great Web site , Jan!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #14
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Alright i will do my research and yes I used that site before to read up on different foods thats how I found out purina wasn't so good.

So let me ask this then. What are some good brands to get? I will just have to order it online from chewy like you guys recommended but what's a good brand to get for him.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #15
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Alright i will do my research and yes I used that site before to read up on different foods thats how I found out purina wasn't so good.

So let me ask this then. What are some good brands to get? I will just have to order it online from chewy like you guys recommended but what's a good brand to get for him.
Since my dogs have varying allergies, I am pretty much stuck with Nature's Variety. All the suggestions mentioned by myself or other members are good products but pricey. Chewy's website has a big variety and you can research product contents from that site as well. There are just no cheap products that are healthy or good for a dog.