MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Carrots question

Hey i try to give my baby a carrot and he ate some of it but didn't really eat the whole thing. I bought little baby carrots from Wal-Mart. He only really eats his dog food never really feed him veggies or anything. So I took the carrot and chopped it up into small pieces and mix it in with his dog food.

The reason I did this is because i was reading carrots are good to for there vision and coat. I am wondering should I do this? Is this really good for him? If so I was thinking about doing it everyday during dinner time putting some chop carrots in his food but I don't know if its really good for my little baby.
Montrell25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Some dogs love carrots. Mine don't. They do like to chew them and leave all the shredded mess on the floor. ha.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphslp View Post
Some dogs love carrots. Mine don't. They do like to chew them and leave all the shredded mess on the floor. ha.
Aha yah that's the samething he did. Just chewed on them and left the mess. So I picked them up n cut them into fine pieces and mix it in with his food. But I dont know if I should do it daily because I read there good for dogs.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

My Jack loves carrots! He also loves banana and apples. Just make sure he doesn't get the apple seeds and I peel the apple skin off. Grapes are a big NO.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
My Jack loves carrots! He also loves banana and apples. Just make sure he doesn't get the apple seeds and I peel the apple skin off. Grapes are a big NO.
Never try to feed him bananas and apples yet. That might be my next thing I try. But is it really healthy for him to eat apples and bananas?

Yah I know not grapes i did some research before giving it to hin
Old 12-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell25 View Post
Never try to feed him bananas and apples yet. That might be my next thing I try. But is it really healthy for him to eat apples and bananas?

Yah I know not grapes i did some research before giving it to hin
I looked up some more fruits and veggies and I seen apples and bananas and a few more fruits . but my question is healthy for them to eat it daily sense dogs mostly like meaty stuff?

Because I notice in carrots it helps with the hair and vision. So I was planning on giving him one carrot a day during dinner.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Yeah i am not going to feed mines people food. I want him to be healthy and not always begging for people food.
This is the answer you gave to me on one of my posts.
What do you think carrots are ? IT'S DARN PEOPLE FOOD !!!

I put vegetables in his meals, but they are cooked. Charlie will not touch raw vegetables or raw fruit. I have read years ago that raw carrots are hard for them to digest. By the way they also say that carrots are good for vision for people. Has not helped MY vision. Never heard about this joke ?
You tell people that carrots are good for the vision and when they ask why, you answer "have you ever seen a rabbit with glasses" ?

By the way, I think that dogs are more sick today because of the dog food. There have been sooo many recalls in dog foods in the last few years that I don't trust almost none of them anymore.

About the begging. My dog is fed people food and he still begs at the table. Our fault. He thinks that what we eat is better than what he gets. If you don't start giving them something from the table, they won't beg. It all comes down to training the behavior. He will start begging ONLY when he sees that we have finished eating. Sometimes he does not get anything because we think that what we had is not good for him.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post

I put vegetables in his meals, but they are cooked. Charlie will not touch raw vegetables or raw fruit. I have read years ago that raw carrots are hard for them to digest. By the way they also say that carrots are good for vision for people. Has not helped MY vision. Never heard about this joke ?
You tell people that carrots are good for the vision and when they ask why, you answer "have you ever seen a rabbit with glasses" ?

By the way, I think that dogs are more sick today because of the dog food. There have been sooo many recalls in dog foods in the last few years that I don't trust almost none of them anymore.

About the begging. My dog is fed people food and he still begs at the table. Our fault. He thinks that what we eat is better than what he gets. If you don't start giving them something from the table, they won't beg. It all comes down to training the behavior. He will start begging ONLY when he sees that we have finished eating. Sometimes he does not get anything because we think that what we had is not good for him.
I agree. I do think if you have a dog overweight, you can use cooked green beans in the food to cut calories. We had a big lab once that loved bananas. We gave her one for a special treat when she won. I think you have to use common sense when feeding your dog(s).
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
I will feed him veggies sense they are good for him but wont feed him other stuff that i eat because i dont think its healthy for him. That's what i meant. Everybody needs veggies.

But anyways sorry if you felt some type of way by that!

I will just have to experiment and see what veggies he likes the best. And no he not over weight just wanted him to be healthy and have a healthy treat.

I was reading that frozen carrots help with teething so he will have something cold on his gums but i will probably give him a carrot at dinner so i know he getting some veggies.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Did you cook the carrots?

Mine are picky and will not eat a raw veggie or fruit. None of mine like bananas.

Normally when I cook I have one pot for their food which I just throw in a portion of what I am cooking with no salt or condiments.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

veggies and fruits make good treats for dogs. They are certainly better for them than commercial treats. Dogs like different things just like people do. Mine love apples but hate bananas. A special treat for them is raw green beans. They know the sound of beans being snapped and will run from where ever they are to the kitchen to get some green beans. Carrots and beans are good for filling them up without a lot of calories. Just make sure that all the other nutrients are there daily as well. Dog food will take care of those nutrition components.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

My Emma LOVES fruits and veggies! She eats carrots, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries... I just give her a few tiny bites at a time. I feed her separately, not from my plate or the table, to avoid reinforcing the begging behavior.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Montrell25
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
Did you cook the carrots?

Mine are picky and will not eat a raw veggie or fruit. None of mine like bananas.

Normally when I cook I have one pot for their food which I just throw in a portion of what I am cooking with no salt or condiments.
No i didn't try cooking them. I notice he eats them frozen and raw. He doesnt eat the whole thing but most of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
veggies and fruits make good treats for dogs. They are certainly better for them than commercial treats. Dogs like different things just like people do. Mine love apples but hate bananas. A special treat for them is raw green beans. They know the sound of beans being snapped and will run from where ever they are to the kitchen to get some green beans. Carrots and beans are good for filling them up without a lot of calories. Just make sure that all the other nutrients are there daily as well. Dog food will take care of those nutrition components.
Yah I make sure he eats his regular dog food after I give him a carrot or a treat to make sure he gets the rest of his nutrients. I am going to try green beans seems like a lot of peoples malts love greens beans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Mama View Post
My Emma LOVES fruits and veggies! She eats carrots, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries... I just give her a few tiny bites at a time. I feed her separately, not from my plate or the table, to avoid reinforcing the begging behavior.
Sounds like Emma loves all her veggies. I have not try any other but carrots i will try some other stuff when I go back grocery shopping
Yah i don't feed at the table only his dog food is on thr floor so he won't start the begging for my food.