MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
ms virgo
Maltese Talker

Exclamation Human Foods that are Poisonous

We all love giving our furbabies treats and some like to give human food as i do. So, i was thinking like a nurse today as I was making dinner. Skittles love to eat carrots and cumbers. I know a lot you may already know this but some of ou may not. Here is a list of human foods that we all love to eat or have around the house tat our lil furbabies can get into.
•Avocado: are toxic
•Chocolate: Contains Theobromine, a cardiac stimulant which can be fatal
•Fruit Pits and Seeds: Most contain cyanide
•Garlic: Contains Thiosulphate, small amount, a lot would have to be ingestedto be toxic. Keep in mind, it builds up in the system

•Onions: same as garlic,in much larger amounts
•Grapesand Raisins : Affects the kidneys
•Macadamia Nuts: Affects the nervous system
•Mushrooms: Affect the nervous system, kidneys and heart
•Nutmeg: Can cause seizures and central nervous system damage
•Sugar-Free Foods: These contain Xylitol, which can cause liver failure
•Tomatoes, Potatoes and Rhubarb: Parts of these contain oxalates, whichcan be toxic

I wouldn't be a nurse if I didn't give you the S/s:

•Abdominal Pain (your dog may cry and his stomach will be tender to thetouch)
•Coma
•Convulsions
•Diarrhea
•Drooling
•Irregular Heartbeat
•Labored Breathing (SOB)
•Lethargy (sleepy)
•Swollen Limbs
•Vomiting

If your furbaby have any of these S/s or if you are in doult please call your local ASPCA @ 1-888-426-4435 or pet poison hotline @1-800-213-6180
Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Thanks for the information; we will add it to the MT Library!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
JesBred
Inactive Account

Always good to know!!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
mia's mom
Donating MT 7000 Club Member

Good list! One correction on the following:

•Tomatoes, Potatoes and Rhubarb: Parts of these contain oxalates, whichcan be toxic

The toxic part of the tomato is only the stem and the leaves not the actual tomato. The toxic part of a potato is any part that is green. I'm sure it's the same for the Rhubarb.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
ms virgo
Maltese Talker

Thank you for the correction, I didn't know that. See am glad i posted it. I wasn't sure if I should because I know that you all are so well informed. But I couldn't help my self that nurse in me keep coming out I have this list on my frig so that my friends and family won't feed them something they can't have and to have quick access to the hot line numbers.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
mia's mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms virgo View Post
I have this list on my frig so that my friends and family won't feed them something they can't have and to have quick access to the hot line numbers.

You gave me a great idea to post it next to my hubby's beside since he loves to feed them a late night snack when he has one! Thanks again for the list.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Zanadu'sMom
Donating MT 14,000 Club Member

Thanks for the info, it's so important .
Zanadu'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
mia's mom

Just received an email to a vet blog I subscribe to and thought it would be a nice supplement to Ms. Vigo's list:

Alcoholic beverages

It is often sweet - attracting dogs and cats, but can cause serious and fatal intoxication. Don't ever offer this to your pets.

Here are some of the signs and side effects:
- Incoordination/ataxia
- Excitement
- Depression
- Excessive urination
- Breathing rate is slowed
- Cardiac arrest and death

Avocado

Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety is most toxic - but all have toxic potential. They cause vomiting/diarrhea - primarily gastrointestinal distress.

Chocolate (all forms)

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

Signs:
Initial excitation.
Increased drinking and urinating.
Vomiting and Diarrhea.
Theobromine causes an increased heart rate and arrhythmia -.
Seizures can then be seen.
Death is then possible.
ACTION PLAN: Induce vomiting, give activated charcoal, and go to the Vet if depression and seizures begin. Baker's chocolate and high cocoa content chocolate is the most toxic; the toxic dose is 2 baking squares for a 10lb dog. Regular chocolate bars have little real chocolate and are seldom toxic.

Coffee (all forms)

Coffee contains dangerous components called xanthines, which cause nervous system or urinary system damage and heart muscle stimulation

Fatty foods

The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- and in some cases Pancreatitis. This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggered by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon.

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscles of dogs. This has lead to paralysis. A small number of nuts and even the butter can cause this.

Moldy or spoiled foods
Many molds contain a type of toxin called an Aflatoxin. This is thought to be a common cause of "compost toxicity". Signs include GI (Vomiting/Diarrhea), muscle tremors, in-coordination, elevated temperature, excessive salivation, and liver damage. Avoid feeding ANYTHING moldy to your dog or cat.

Onions, onion powder

Onions contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop anemia. 1 Onion can cause this. Fortunately ALL dogs recover once they are stopped from ingesting onions.

Raisins and grapes

As few as 6 grapes and raisins have caused acute kidney failure in some dogs. The toxic ingredient is not yet known. There is no treatement. AVOID feeding ANY grapes or raisins to your dogs.

Yeast dough

The yeast dough/uncooked bread dough will rise in your pet's stomach causing severe gastrointestinal distress (vomiting/diarrhea), bloating, and signs of alcohol toxicity.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a artificial sweeter found in "SUGAR FREE" Products, such as gum, candy etc.

Signs relate to a sudden drop in glucose (blood sugar), in-coordination, collapse and seizures.

Avoid feeding any gum/candy to your pets.

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums.

Ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic.

They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity include apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation and shock.

Note - it's the seeds and stems that contain the toxic component, not the fruit itself.

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Potatoes and other Solanum species, including the tomato, are members of the nightshade family of plants.

These plants contain solanine and other toxic alkaloids which, if eaten in large enough amounts, can produce drooling, severe gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, drowsiness, central nervous system depression, confusion, behavioral changes, weakness, dilated pupils and slowed heart rate.

Nutmeg

High levels of nutmeg can be toxic, even fatal.

The toxic component is unknown.

Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or death.

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects.

Last edited by mia's mom; 01-15-2010 at 06:06 AM.
mia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
swan128
Maltese Talker

Question cheese

A women wrote to Dr. Michael Fox (newspaper vet)....yellow and orange cheese (I guess what we call American Cheese) is a no no. can cause seizures.

Anyone ever hear of that one before??
swan128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Question- on the fatty section it say's bacon

I give my girls some bacon is that a BIG no-no? I do soak as much oil in a paper towel. I never give them bacon as a meal but a treat.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
JesBred
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan128 View Post
A women wrote to Dr. Michael Fox (newspaper vet)....yellow and orange cheese (I guess what we call American Cheese) is a no no. can cause seizures.

Anyone ever hear of that one before??
My vet gives all pills in cheese... So I would think it would be ok but I'm honestly not sure. I'd like to know also becuase anytime my dogs need pills I give them in cheese and sometimes just as a treat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
Question- on the fatty section it say's bacon

I give my girls some bacon is that a BIG no-no? I do soak as much oil in a paper towel. I never give them bacon as a meal but a treat.
"The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- and in some cases Pancreatitis. This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggered by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon."

Jess most anything that has alot of fat/grease in it is bad for dogs. It can upset their tummys and also make them obese, so I would try to ease the girls off the bacon and find something like carrots or green beans to give them instead!! My two FLIP for green beans
Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesBred View Post
My vet gives all pills in cheese... So I would think it would be ok but I'm honestly not sure. I'd like to know also becuase anytime my dogs need pills I give them in cheese and sometimes just as a treat!!

"The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- and in some cases Pancreatitis. This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggered by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon."

Jess most anything that has alot of fat/grease in it is bad for dogs. It can upset their tummys and also make them obese, so I would try to ease the girls off the bacon and find something like carrots or green beans to give them instead!! My two FLIP for green beans
My mom's Yorkie LOVES green beans! She smells them cooking and runs into the kitchen looking for them. It's hilarious - probably her favorite people food after cheese. She has to take pills daily and they're always wrapped in a little piece of cheese - the vet actually suggested it.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
mia's mom

The far and few times I have given them bacon it is only a small bit and only of the meat never the white part. Mine love cold snap peas, green beans & peas.

Pancreatitis is extremely painful in humans (this is from experience) and can be fatal in animals.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Ok, I understand now. I don't feed it to them every morning, it's more like every three weeks. I gave JiJi one and JiJa half of one, poor babies they love it so much.
I do give them veggies as treats but they go wild with the bacon. Thanks for letting me know about just the meat and not the fat, they will have to do with a few crumbs.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Zuly4034
Donating MT 2,000 Club Member

Is it ok to give her banana and strawberries?
Zuly4034 is offline   Reply With Quote