MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
ilovemysnow
Donating MT 500 Club Member

thank you all so much for this info!! I'm new to this forum as I just adopted a Maltese (Snow, 1 yr & 3 months old now) over 2 months ago and I am sooooooo inlove with him! I want to make sure I don't drop any bad food on the floor by accident or make sure to keep in mind to put them away.. You all could have potentially just saved a life. =)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
ZoZo
Maltese Talker

Mine like cashews - I only give them one or two and they haven't experienced any distress...
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
MallyMaltese
Maltese Talker

Can lawn grass be toxic to dogs? My dog is eating lawn grass but fortunately she vomits after eating it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Sami
Maltese Admirer

New list that Yahoo put out today!

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/keep-you...al-toxins.html
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
TeddyBahrMom
Donating Maltese Expert

Please review this thread - IMPORTANT!

We just returned from camping for 5 days. We went to the beach and took our Teddy Bahr with us. He absolutely LOVED this trip and had the best time until this happened...

We were sitting around the camp fire - my husband had Teddy on the ground next to him while I was finishing up the dinner dishes. When I sat down, I put Teddy on my lap (like usual) and saw that he was chewing on a stick or something. I removed it and threw it away from the area. As we were sitting all of a sudden, Teddy just fell over and off my lap to the ground and started "paddling" his legs, shaking. Horror-struck, I picked him up and he let out piercing screams then went completely limp in my arms. He thoroughly lost his bowels and my husband and I were covered in diahhrea. I ran into our RV and turned on all the lights and saw that Teddy was staring off into space and not hearing me when I talked to him. He was completely limp, not moving his legs or head - just staring. I craddled him in my arms screaming for my husband to try to get cell phone service so we could call for a taxi or something out in the middle of no-where when Teddy started to come to. He moved very little but started whining then cuddling into my arms very confused. I tried to put some water on my fingers to see if I could get him hydrated but for about 3 minutes he was completely out of it, not knowing where he was. He finally came out of it and began acting more normal but we couldn't find cell phone service anywhere and we had no other transportation other than our RV which we would have had to break down and pack before moving it so by the time we got going, Teddy started acting more normal, walking around then actually began drinking by himself, then jumping up on my leg like usual. We decided that, since we had no idea where a vet hospital was and Teddy was acting okay, we stayed where we were so I could concentrate on him. I never took my eyes off him the rest of the time we were there.

So, be mindful of your surroundings. All we can think is that Teddy chewed something toxic which sent him into a seizure while we were camping. We're home now and the Vet will see him today. He hasn't had another seizure in 48 hours and has acted completely normal, eating and drinking like usual and being very playful and active but I want to find out what happened. I've searched the internet and this site and came upon this post. Any of you Fluff owners who are active outside, please learn the things that are poisonous and what to do for them if they eat/chew something. Don't be as ignorant as I have been - I should have known this stuff but I didn't. There is also an Animal Poison Hotline that you can call (I don't have it next to me right now - I'll post it later) that we should all keep with us at all times when we're traveling.

Right now, I'm praying that this was the cause. If not, I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks all!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Im so glad hes okay! I would have been freaking out. Please keep us updated with your vet visit.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Morkie4
Donating Member

Oh dear me! That must have been horrible!! I can only assume that it must have been something toxic or some "thing" that he ate or chewed on. I sure hope they can figure it out and he is fine! Poor guy sure had an awful experience! Sending positive thoughts and well wishes to the little guy! AND to you!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Nikki's Mom
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Kandi - I am just shocked. You must have been scared out of your mind. What a terrifying experience. I am so very sorry this happened. Please know we are all here for you. Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way. xoxo
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
angeleyes
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Kandi, just seeing this now and I'm so sorry for everything that you and Teddy have been going through lately. It's so hard when something happens to these little guys. Please don't blame yourself for thinking you should have know what he could or could not chew on. We mommies can't know everything that could be of harm to our babies. I have spent over 4 years since we lost our Abby blaming myself for not knowing she should'nt have grapes. She loved them and I gave her some for treats when we had them. She died of total kidney failure and I didn't sleep for weeks blaming myself. My vet said it was'nt my fault but I should have read about it. I still get tears when I think about it. Especially when our babies are outside we can't see everything they come across and it's not fair to not let them play. I read the other post first and I'm so hoping that it's a one time thing and he will be fine.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
angeleyes

Kandi, just to let you and others know that the animal poison control number
is a great help BUT they are no longer free. If you call for help you have to have a credit card number to get ahold of anyone. Just thought everyone should know. I called when Sammy ate the fabric softener sheet and had to give them my number.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
TeddyBahrMom
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
Kandi, just to let you and others know that the animal poison control number
is a great help BUT they are no longer free. If you call for help you have to have a credit card number to get ahold of anyone. Just thought everyone should know. I called when Sammy ate the fabric softener sheet and had to give them my number.
Oh Sue! I didn't know that! I found the number during one of my searches on "seizures in dogs" right after we came home that night and saw it on the internet. I had no idea you had to pay for it! But, at these times, I guess we'd have paid ANYTHING just to know what to do! Sadly, they probably don't have the funding to stay in business as a public service is my guess. So sad...
Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
TeddyBahrMom
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
I have spent over 4 years since we lost our Abby blaming myself for not knowing she should'nt have grapes. She loved them and I gave her some for treats when we had them. She died of total kidney failure and I didn't sleep for weeks blaming myself.
Your Vet is right to tell you not to blame yourself. This is how easy this stuff can happen: My family LOVES grapes and I've been buying bags and bags of them this summer. One time several months ago, I was putting the groceries away after shopping and I accidentally dropped a bag of grapes as I was putting it in the frig. Grapes scattered all across the floor and Teddy Bahr, of course, ran all around the kitchen grabbing them. He got to 3 before I got them all picked up. He had one in his mouth and I tried to remove it but he snarled and then bit me as I pulled it away. He was INSANE for those grapes!! So, not knowing any better, I gave him one and he gobbled it up like it was the best thing on earth. My daughter came into the room and said "what is Teddy eating?" I said I'd given him a grape. She looked at me and yelled "MOM!!! Grapes and raisins are POISONOUS to dogs!!! Didn't you KNOW that?!?" I didn't. A couple hours later, Teddy developed "explosive" diahhrea - I mean the worst he's ever had and he's had A LOT! Thankfully, he didn't show any other side effects from it and now we keep the grapes far away from him but he begs and begs for them. So dogs don't understand what's good or bad for them and they don't learn from having a bad experience like humans do. So Sue, you're not the only one who didn't know that and I, too, would have continued to give Teddy grapes had my daughter not screamed at me.

I think this list here should be mandatory reading for all new owners of Maltese, Morkies and all other breeds out there. Some of these things are obvious but some are definitely NOT. I think it's important to be aware so others don't suffer the same guilt and heartbreak that some of us have experienced just because we didn't know.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
TeddyBahrMom
Donating Maltese Expert

If a Mod could please add a couple of items to the two lists of poisonous foods, I think it would be helpful.

These items should be INSECTS and MUSHROOMS. Spiders, bees, but mostly any insect that could also cause a reaction in humans if stung/bitten. Any type of mold/mushroom that grows in the wild or on our lawns/yards.

My reason to add these are because my Vet, his colleagues and the Veterinary Medicine professors at our local colleges suspect that my Maltese Teddy Bahr suffered a grand mal seizure after injesting an insect of some sort or mold spores/mushrooms while we were camping recently. He could have been poisoned by several other food or plant items, but usually food poisons cause vomiting prior or after ingesting (which Teddy Bahr didn't have), as well as some kidney damage (again, tests were negative).

I thought members should also be aware of these, especially if you have curious puppies, who eat/mouth everything (like mine does).
Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
angeleyes

Thank you for understanding what I was going through Kandi. I always hesitate to give mine any kind of fruit but I know some use fruit as treats. I'm just not sure about them, guess I'll stick to Cheerios. I think adding those things to the list is a great idea. Sammy is like Teddy and has to pick up everything.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Cyndietoney
Maltese Talker

My vet uses that canned squirt cheese to give shots while he is occupied.
Cyndietoney is offline   Reply With Quote