MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Minor Surgery

Jack had minor surgery today on his right leg. He had a wart that was getting bigger and he would lick it and bite at it all the time. So, under local anesthetic, they removed it. He has 3 stitches.

Also, on Tuesday he had a cyst on his right eye, so he's got an ointment that I put in his eye twice daily.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Oh Jack. Tebow, Ollie and Bentley send hugs. Glad it was minor but it's always a little scary when they use anesthesia on the babies. How's the eye doing?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Poor Jack but glad they can give you something to use to bring a little comfort to him. Last time I had Krissie in, she had some type of tag on the edge of her upper eyelid that causes her eye to be irritated but said it was too small to do anything about at this point. If it grows, then they can remove it. And Brandy has lesions in both eyes and will eventually be blind but for now, she can see. I am starting to train her by slapping my leg when we want her to come or follow us so she can become accustomed to the sound when she does lose her sight.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Poor Jack. Charlie had 2 tiny growths removed when he was under anesthesia for his dental. One we knew about it and they found another one. Hope the ointment will take care of the cyst on his eye.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
MaxJack'sMom

The cyst is almost gone. It wasn't very big, we only noticed it when my son saw what looked blood by his lower eye lid Monday night. It wasn't blood but some kind of red gel from the cyst. The the vet squeezed the sack and the red gel came out. Since we caught it right away, the ointment is going its job.

Tomorrow Jack gets his bandage changed at the vet's office. Keeps it on for another week and then the following Monday he'll get the stitches out.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Poor Jack but glad they can give you something to use to bring a little comfort to him. Last time I had Krissie in, she had some type of tag on the edge of her upper eyelid that causes her eye to be irritated but said it was too small to do anything about at this point. If it grows, then they can remove it. And Brandy has lesions in both eyes and will eventually be blind but for now, she can see. I am starting to train her by slapping my leg when we want her to come or follow us so she can become accustomed to the sound when she does lose her sight.
That's a great idea to start the sound training now. Is a lesion different from a tag?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
The cyst is almost gone. It wasn't very big, we only noticed it when my son saw what looked blood by his lower eye lid Monday night. It wasn't blood but some kind of red gel from the cyst. The the vet squeezed the sack and the red gel came out. Since we caught it right away, the ointment is going its job.

Tomorrow Jack gets his bandage changed at the vet's office. Keeps it on for another week and then the following Monday he'll get the stitches out.
Is the bandage driving Jack crazy? It would drive me crazy. Hugs to Jack.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
MaxJack'sMom

They spray the bandage with a deterrent that taste nasty. He still goes at it, giving it licks and us telling him to stop.
He got a new bandage today and will get a new one on Wed, and then the stitches out next Monday.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
That's a great idea to start the sound training now. Is a lesion different from a tag?
Yes. A tag can be removed but a lesion is internal and nothing can be done.......sort of a waiting game until she becomes blind.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Yes. A tag can be removed but a lesion is internal and nothing can be done.......sort of a waiting game until she becomes blind.
Ohhhh. I hope that is a very long time from now.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
MaxJack'sMom

Quote:
Do they prescribe any kind of drops or is there nothing at all that can help it?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
Do they prescribe any kind of drops or is there nothing at all that can help it?
Unfortunately nothing can be done to help or prevent the progression. But I clean her eyes daily, usually twice a day. Helps to prevent a build-up.