MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 05-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Anyone ever try Halo Dog Food

I am still feeding organix, but decided I wanted to try a no chicken diet. I have learned that poultry based foods effect the eyes. I have read so many testimonials that the eye stain totally disappeared feeding no chicken. I got so frustrated searching for a food. I have tried Acana, fromms, and so many more. I finally asked an advisor on chewy. I wanted no chicken, weight management 5 star food for small breed. Halo is 4.5 stars. My question to Carol, is this one of the foods you feed? I am also using Instinct can food as well as the mixers for a treat. This is the only food out of the thousands of kibble that has all that I requested. If I had big dogs, I would have more choices. ha. Don't ask me why, but it is what it is. All the reviews were positive and most said their dogs loved the food. The down side, it only comes in 10 lb. bags. Since it is a measured amount for each dog, this is not a great concern to me. Now for the bad news. Chewy has been bought out by PetSmart. Every breeder, dog owner I know used chewy with free shipping and delivered to my house. Now they are boycotting. ha. Basically because it is now HSUS backed. For the moment, I have not noticed a huge price change. The problem and hearsay at this point that some companies are backing out of Chewy. Until I find another source, I will wait for other kennel, dog owners, show breeders to comment on FB. I have popped in time to time, but no one was posting. I keep up with most on FB but miss so many of you. Texas has been having bad weather and tornado season is just gearing up in this area. The most tornados are graphed during the month of May and June. I have been busy taking care of granddaughters. My daughter and hubby got food poisoning and I had to leave during a violent storm to go help. Got home and heard from my son. Their sitter decided to take a vacation before school ends. ha. Again, I drove in storms to save the day. I am now home, the dogs have settled down. My hubby said they whined, got him up at 3:00 am, and were totally depressed. ha. Zeus, the Yorkie, turned 17 April 29th. He is blind, deaf, senile, panic attacks, takes 2 people to groom, potty's on the floor 9 times out of 10. We considered putting him down, but we just can't do it. He is not in pain to justify doing so. Ben retired in February so both of us are home. We will be there for him until his card is called by God. My daughter and hubby are coming this weekend for Tiki Fest. The VF (Vanity Fair) is giving 25 bags to the first 25 shoppers. You stuff your bag with all the clothes and get 25% off. Drawings every hour. Then to Stripes and Brew and all proceeds go for the care of homeless dogs. That is all the news from Texas and wishing all you guys the best.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

I have never tried Halo.

As you know I had been using Natures Variety Rabbit and then suddenly they stopoed making it. I was so disappointed because it was limited ingredient and no flaxseed. Perfect for ALL my babies.

But with that said, I did change to another product called "Wild Calling." It is rabbit and limited ingredient and the dogs love it. As I blended the old with the new during the changeover process, Krissie picked out all the rabbit and left the duck.

I am very disappointed to hear about the sellout of chewy. ....... I always buy from them. Such variety of items and free/quick shipping.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
bphslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
I have never tried Halo.

As you know I had been using Natures Variety Rabbit and then suddenly they stopoed making it. I was so disappointed because it was limited ingredient and no flaxseed. Perfect for ALL my babies.

But with that said, I did change to another product called "Wild Calling." It is rabbit and limited ingredient and the dogs love it. As I blended the old with the new during the changeover process, Krissie picked out all the rabbit and left the duck.

I am very disappointed to hear about the sellout of chewy. ....... I always buy from them. Such variety of items and free/quick shipping.
I did not realize they quit making rabbit. That is a bummer. I believe I saw a can food on chewy that was just rabbit. I will have to search and see because I don't remember the brand.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
bphslp

Quote:
I have never tried Halo.

They still have it on Chewy.com. Here is a link of many brands of rabbit can food. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=rabbit...submit-button=
Old 05-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphslp View Post
They still have it on Chewy.com. Here is a link of many brands of rabbit can food. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=rabbit...submit-button=
Thanks. I use Evengers rabbit wet but only to soften kibble after a dental. But finding a dry rabbit formula was hard to find that met the news of all the dogs. Can't have any chicken or flaxseed due to allergies to those things. So many manufacturers add flaxseed which is normally good for dogs. Brandy is highly allergic.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:52 AM   #6
Samantha113
MT Newbie

Hi, my Cooper suffers from a grain allergy and since we found out about it, we are also facing the challenge of finding the right food... At first I was feeding him only grain free food, but, same as bphslp, I also read some articles claiming that poultry based foods effects their eyes and since than I added poultry to our 'food no-no' list too. We chose mostly Halo wild salmon and white fish, and duck/turkey here and there... We were satisfied, no need to change, no symptoms of allergy, but I have a feeling that my pup got bored of it lately. Now I am looking for a similar solution, to bring a change into his nutrition a bit. Anyone of you tried Ivorycoat grain free?
I've heard about some positive reviews and I also see they have ocean fish, salmon, lamb... Have anyone tested it yet?
If you have any other recommendations regarding grain free and 'chicken free' food, please share! thanks
Samantha113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

I have not used or heard of the ivory coat grain free but below are the two dog foods I feed to my fluffs due to various allergies that my fluffs have.

Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Adult Salmon & Lentils Recipe Dog Food By Nutro
26 Reviews

Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Small Bites Adult Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food By Nutro
24 Reviews

I purchase both products from chewy.com.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Morkie4
Donating Member

I went to the link you provided but it was not a very thorough description of the products for dogs. Description and ingredients were not listed. I have one fluff highly allergic to flaxseed which is a very popular and common ingredient in dog foods so I have to be very careful in my selection of products but thanks for your inquiry and the link.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Samantha113
MT Newbie

Quote:
I have not used or heard of the ivory coat grain free but below are the two dog foods I feed to my fluffs due to various allergies that my fluffs have.

Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Adult Salmon & Lentils Recipe Dog Food By Nutro
26 Reviews

Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Small Bites Adult Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food By Nutro
24 Reviews

I purchase both products from chewy.com.
Hi, thank you for your reply and for mentioning reviews, I found them on the website you suggested, and I saw people said lots of good stuff about it, will definitely try it! I am just a bit surprised now when I see lentils as an ingredient in grain free food...? That's grain too right? Will get lamb & sweet potato first and the other one when I check with my vet thanks again
Samantha113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha113 View Post
Hi, thank you for your reply and for mentioning reviews, I found them on the website you suggested, and I saw people said lots of good stuff about it, will definitely try it! I am just a bit surprised now when I see lentils as an ingredient in grain free food...? That's grain too right? Will get lamb & sweet potato first and the other one when I check with my vet thanks again
I believe lentils are considered a vegetable but are also used as a protein in diets.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
I believe lentils are considered a vegetable but are also used as a protein in diets.
legumes are considered a "pulse" (whatever that is) from the legume family which is beans I think. Confusing. Lentils are good in people stews.

I do think they get tired of the same food. I try to spice up the dinner kibble. Blue has a couple of small breed cans (the cans are small, and they just get a a little for flavor so one little can lasts 4 days for 3 dogs). There is a lamb can and a no grain can. Halo used to have a Spots Stew shredded chicken for small dogs. I haven't been able to find that for a while though and that would not help Carol. I do keep a couple of the trial packets of the freeze dried Instinct packages around. I crumble the pieces up and mix it in the kibble (that way they can't just pick out the yummy pieces). 1 little bag lasts several days as an additive to kibble. We have been using Wellness small breed kibble and it's ok but I keep thinking there is probably better. Just haven't had time to research yet.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
We have been using Wellness small breed kibble and it's ok but I keep thinking there is probably better. Just haven't had time to research yet.
My mom fed her little Pomeranian Wellness as a puppy, but we've both used Fromm for the last few years and had good luck with it. I have Olivia on Fromm puppy food now.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote