MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Vylula
Donating MT 1000 Club Member

Congratulate me ...I think......

Okay, I will try to make this short. I have been with my employer for very close to 4 years. I haven't had the same position in this company for the whole time I have been there. I started in a fairly important position but a very large company bought this company and I seemed to have been "demoted" several times since. It is very humiliating. I now have the worst supervisor that has the same credential and experience as me.

I now report to her instead of the Director of Development and the Executvie VP like I was originally hired. All of this has nothing to do with my work ethic. I have tons and tons of professional references from every place I work. It all has to do with politics and the "good ole boys' club. You grails in the sout would understan that.

I hate this supervisor like crazy. I know hate is a strong word so maybe I shouldn't use it but she is a micro-managing maniac who talks to me and my co-workers like we are 5. Some people think she should be a freakin kindergarten teacher. I went from having a prominent position to basically being the relief for the receptionist in the last 4 years. How is that for office politics. In the last few months due to several lay offs, I basically have job security for now because the receptionist needs a backup.

Now there is nothing wrong with being a receptionist but I have been there and have worked my ass off to move up in the world and to have to go back to that is just plain wrong. Now granted, I am just her relief for breaks and lunch but this girl takes full advantage of me and is out all the time, late all the time, has generally one doctor appt. a week and I am over it.

Well in this bad economy, I decided to start looking for other employment anyway. I should have done this sooner but didn't think there was a thing I could find.

Well, I did and I start on Dec. 29th. My last day at the old job is the 19th. I get more money, free insurance for hubby and I and my own office.

It gave me great pleasure to tell that monstrous, unqualified, micro-managing, spastic nervebag my resignation. What felt even better is that my last day is the 19th. She if off the following week. Get this, she takes off every Christmas for a week and that means the rest of us can't because there always has to be two Exec admins in the office at all times.

Now my exec admin job is really different then most. I am actually assigend to the Project Office and I do a lot of technical work. My idiot supervisor knows nothing of what I do but she does my evaluations!

She was okay nice when I gave her the resignation but took a few nasty jobs at me just like she did the last three people in our department that quit (because of her)! I will have an exit interview and I can't wait to lay it all out. I am going to tell everything I think is wrong with that horrible place.

I know in future jobs, I will have to put down that I work there but no one can call that office for a reference for me. They have to call our corporate office in CA and can only be told how long I worked there and how much money I made. My my two favorite Directors I worked for (in the beginning) have already quit, as most of the good employees. It is a sinking ship and I am not staying around.

Now, I am excited to be leaving there but very nervous to start this new position. It will be lots of work and lots of new things to learn so I am shakin in my boots.

I just need to vent that and get that out so you all can take this journey with me......LOL. You will hear me laugh, bitch, groan, etc.

Hope you don't mind.....LOL

Lisa
Vylula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Tcarnagie
Donating MT 3000 Club Member

Well Congrats on the new job. Sometimes companies go through changes and they are not always good ones. I have been there many times in the past and hated it. I am so glad that you have found a job and I hope it turns out to be a great step toward a wonderful future.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
plumie

Congrats Lisa!!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
JesBred
Inactive Account

I thought you said you would it short haha just kidding

I'm thrilled you found an awesome job Lisa!! That's so great!! I too, have my quitting scene all planned out lol hubby thinks I'm nuts. But I've been at my job for almost 2 years (not a "real" job like yours lol but a job) and am still working minimum wage. My boss is a jerk and gave me a .50 cent raise 2 WEEKS before the minmum wage went again in GA. So now I'm still working min. wage and I do the SAME things my manager gets paid to do for 2$ more an hour... Makes me so mad. I got a job at Bath & Body but refused it cause I'd only get 10 hours a week plus they won't give me time off to spend with my husband before he deploys.

Anyways.. I'm so glad you got of that job.. I think jobs we hate can be very unhealthy. I know it stresses me and hubby out. That's why I can't wait to finish school and get a good 40 hour job that pays well.

CONGRATULATIONS!! (sorry my rambling + venting as well)
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
Morkie4
Donating Member

CONGRATULATIONS LISA ON THE NEW JOB

Sounds like you are leaving at just the right time. I think even though you are nervous about the "new" job and the new things to learn, getting out of that place will improve your outlook about going to work every morning and also helping your stress level. Working in a place like where you are has to be very nerve wrecking and stressful. I bet you have had to bite your tongue on more than one occasion. So I'm glad you were brave enough to make the step to a new job. I hope it is a great job that you will enjoy and MAKE $$$$$$$
Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Vylula

Thank you all for the kind words...and sorry it wasn't that short....LMAO.

And Jess, hang in there....greater things are coming your way!

I am here at work right now and my supervisor sits near me and I just want to go over there and smack her......

L~
Vylula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
JesBred
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylula View Post
I am here at work right now and my supervisor sits near me and I just want to go over there and smack her......
DO IT!! What are they gonna do fire you?! ok I'm kidding that could get you in jail
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
BellaRose

Congratulations Lisa!

That's wonderful and I'm so excited for you! Change is always hard but it sounds like you made the right decision and I'm sure you'll be adjusted and happy in no time! I look forward to going on this journey with you!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Miss Melanie
Donating MT 2000 Club Member

Lisa, I feel that the hard part is over, FINDING and getting the job.

GOOD FOR YOU! Congrats on getting the job. I wish you all the strength you need to have great days there.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
LilPosh

CONGRATS!!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Vylula

There's more.

My last day is next Friday at 3 pm. Well they told me today, that I have to train a girl named Kim to do my entire job by next Thursday (she is off next Friday).

Um.....there is already someone that knows most of what I do and I trained her on the rest and all of a sudden she can't take it on. Well in her defense, she is very busy. Since they laid off so many people, everyone is doing gobs of work.

But this is insane. The girl I am training is a software developer. I can't believe how much money they are paying her to do my work. And well, there is another problem. Her schedule is so different then mine and she has a lot of appointments during the day and is in and out and I have to give the receptionist her breaks.

My job is somewhat technical and how the heck am I supposed to train her by next Thursday??? Why didn't they ask me to do this last Friday when I gave my resignation???

Then I was told later in the day by my immediate supervisor who knows nothing of what I do that my job was going to an admin working in our Canada office. Yeah....that isn't going to work. The time difference for one thing! And this job literally has to be done in the office where all the developers and DBA people work.

I know this all confusing to you guys and makes no sense but trust me when I say that company is circling the drain the quick. The management there is so bad. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians now and NO ONE communicates.

Okay, I promise I will quit griping about this soon.....:-)

Thanks so much for listening. It just feels good to get it off my chest since I can't really gripe at work.

L~
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Miss Melanie
Donating MT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylula View Post
There's more.

My last day is next Friday at 3 pm. Well they told me today, that I have to train a girl named Kim to do my entire job by next Thursday (she is off next Friday).

Um.....there is already someone that knows most of what I do and I trained her on the rest and all of a sudden she can't take it on. Well in her defense, she is very busy. Since they laid off so many people, everyone is doing gobs of work.

But this is insane. The girl I am training is a software developer. I can't believe how much money they are paying her to do my work. And well, there is another problem. Her schedule is so different then mine and she has a lot of appointments during the day and is in and out and I have to give the receptionist her breaks.

My job is somewhat technical and how the heck am I supposed to train her by next Thursday??? Why didn't they ask me to do this last Friday when I gave my resignation???

Then I was told later in the day by my immediate supervisor who knows nothing of what I do that my job was going to an admin working in our Canada office. Yeah....that isn't going to work. The time difference for one thing! And this job literally has to be done in the office where all the developers and DBA people work.

I know this all confusing to you guys and makes no sense but trust me when I say that company is circling the drain the quick. The management there is so bad. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians now and NO ONE communicates.

Okay, I promise I will quit griping about this soon.....:-)

Thanks so much for listening. It just feels good to get it off my chest since I can't really gripe at work.

L~
That IS nuts! What are they going to do to you? Lock you in the offices if you don't train her by Friday? Goodness, this really is all wrong, the way they are treating you.

I hope your week flies by!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Vylula

Okay gang, I have been on my new job for a week and a half and things are going well. I am working my butt off and I love it! I was worried at first to have 'another' female boss but she is so much better than my last one. I see her maybe once a day. We are both so busy and she treats me like an adult unlike the other boss who treated me like a kindergartner.

I don't however have my own office like I thought. I will be getting that when the new 100,000 sq.ft. building is finished in November. I sit in a fairly private area and the admin in the workstation next to me is great! She and I hit it off right away and have so much in common. Every one I have met has been so nice to me.

I did notice that most everyone there is ....older.....I know, it doesn't make sense but a lot of these people are retired from the government and decided to keep working so they went to work for a govt. contract service.....LOL....

On a more sad note, the lady that lives across the street from me just now got her car repo'd (it is 9:45 pm here!). I feel so bad for her. She is in her 50's and works two jobs and has no family that comes to see her. She literally has NO visitors come to her home. But I guess she doesn't have time since she works so much.

I just wanted to go over and give her a hug but I am sure she was embarrassed and wouldn't appreciate the neighbors peering out their window at her. I may check on her this weekend and see if she needs anything. I don't know her that well but we make small talk when we are both outside and she adores my fluffs and she has a cat I am crazy about and that I feed on occasion when she works.

There was an article in our local paper today about all these local companies closing and so many people I know have lost their jobs. I sure hope things get better soon.