MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 11-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Fleas

Well I've been loving the warm weather but it has extended the flea season here! Normally I don't have to treat the boys from Oct through March. Well when I gave the boys a bath last week, I found about 3 fleas on each of them. So of course I immediately treated them. But poor Tebow. He had a bad reaction to the fleas. He had been biting himself and scratching. I had been putting his PJs on him so he couldn't and putting some ointment on him. Well, he had a check-up and the dr said allergic reaction. So poor baby is on antibiotics and steroids. (he's not scratching or biting anymore) Boy do I feel guilty. It has been exceptionally warm. It's going to be in mid/high 70s tomorrow again. Love the weather. Hate the fleas.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Poor Tebow! We had great weather, but today it took a drastic turn. We might get some 'snow' tomorrow
Hope he feels better.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
Poor Tebow! We had great weather, but today it took a drastic turn. We might get some 'snow' tomorrow
Hope he feels better.
Thanks! He does feel better. He still has several more day of medicine but the Vet cut them into the needed small pieces. They are so small that I can put them in with dinner and when I add the little bit of wet food that they get at dinner, Tebow doesn't even notice and wolfs it down. Thank goodness! We've had other pills in the past that had to be given more than once a day and were bigger and he would lick off the peanut butter or eat around the pill pocket and leave the medicine. At least these are so small that he doesn't notice! His hair is starting to grow back thank goodness. Even my boys were commenting about his hair loss.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:22 AM   #4
Morkie4
Donating Member

WOW..........can't imagine fleas up your way. So far so good. I don't treat the kids because two had an allergic reaction to the med but we do treat the yard with a granular pesticide on a regular bases (not the potty area we have fenced off). We haven't had any flea issues in over 12 years.......counting my blessings. Hope Tebow gets to feeling better soon.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

Well, I don't think you're gonna have to worry about fleas now! Brrrrr. But we're like Carol and treat the yard so didn't have many, if any.

How is our baby doing now? Is he feeling better?
Old 11-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Well, I don't think you're gonna have to worry about fleas now! Brrrrr. But we're like Carol and treat the yard so didn't have many, if any.

How is our baby doing now? Is he feeling better?
Doing much better. No more scratching, no more biting. Only a few more meds left. He's been taking them mixed into his dinner with no complaints. His hair is growing back so the affected area looks much better. Right now Tebow (and brothers) along with Mommy are vegging on the couch because it's yucky outside (don't like the "cold" after all the nice weather we've had)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

Glad to hear the boy is doing better!!!! It was 49 here.........burrrrrr!