MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 11-13-2016, 02:04 AM   #1
jrgarcia
MT Newbie

Thoughts on puppy sleeping in bed with ya?

Thoughts on puppy sleeping in bed with ya?
I grew up with a Jackapoo and my mom could never resist the crying at night the first week we had her so Angel (RIP little one) would always sleep in bed with one of us. From what I remember, we never had any serious accidents with her injuring herself in bed with us. But who knows, it was so long ago.

My little man Mister Prince will likely only weigh ~2lbs when I get him. He is already potty pad trained but will only be around 10 weeks old. Also, my bed is pretty high up so I worry about him falling off, trying to jump off, etc.

Should I start him off in the crate by my bed until he is older? Or can my little munchkin start sleeping beside me right away if I plan to keep it that way?
jrgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

I allow all four of mine (this week we have five as we are dog sitting my grand doggie) to sleep in our king bed........or maybe they allow "us" to sleep with them.
But mine are not small, inexperienced puppies. It's just my opinion, but at his size and age and height of your bed, it might not be a good thing to allow him to sleep with you at first. It's really a person decision if you allow it later when he is bigger and older.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

All 3 of ours sleep in bed with us. Tebow who I got at 8 weeks did sleep for about a month in his crate beside the bed. One morning after I took him out to potty and when we came back in hubby felt sorry for him and said don't put him back in the crate - he's been in our bed ever since. The other 2 were older than 8 weeks. Bentley is a rescue and he was almost 1. Ollie was almost 4 months. Tebow and Bentley can jump off of the bed (and it is high) but they never do during the night. Only in the morning when I am getting dressed if they think I'm not getting them off fast enough. Ollie won't jump although I'm sure he could. Put Prince on your bed and read a book or watch TV and see what he does. If he tries to jump off, then there's your answer. If he doesn't its probably fine. Another idea would be to put his crate in bed with you.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
Another idea would be to put his crate in bed with you.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
jrgarcia
MT Newbie

[QUOTE=Tebow's Mom;353054 Put Prince on your bed and read a book or watch TV and see what he does. If he tries to jump off, then there's your answer. If he doesn't its probably fine. Another idea would be to put his crate in bed with you.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea. I do a lot of reading in bed in the evening anyway so I'm going to give that a shot! And I do planning on getting a small soft crate so maybe that will be my next option if he does try a rambunctious leap off the bed haha! I have a queen size bed so there is surely enough room for us both.

Thank you!!
jrgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Mine used to sleep in bed with us but.....

both girls decided to twinkle on my hubbies shoulder

so no more of that
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Sharin
Maltese Talker

My first Maltese had knee problems from jumping. I didn't know it was quite common with small breeds. Over 30 years ago cost over $2,000.00 to correct and she never ran again. I bought a doggie ramp on eBay after her surgeries. All my dogs used the ramp. Threw one treat down the ramp and one treat at top and they had no problems using it. I want to crate train my next if possible. Chelsea would not tolerate the crate, so was in my bed too.

Please don't let the puppy jump. Teach puppy to stay and let you put down on floor. Just my opinion.
Sharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharin View Post
My first Maltese had knee problems from jumping. I didn't know it was quite common with small breeds. Over 30 years ago cost over $2,000.00 to correct and she never ran again. I bought a doggie ramp on eBay after her surgeries. All my dogs used the ramp. Threw one treat down the ramp and one treat at top and they had no problems using it. I want to crate train my next if possible. Chelsea would not tolerate the crate, so was in my bed too.

Please don't let the puppy jump. Teach puppy to stay and let you put down on floor. Just my opinion.
Oh yes I know very well about the jumping. The Maltese before this one was a jumper and climber. Two knee surgeries and he still jumped even tho I put stairs up on the bed and the couch. When I got Charlie at 1 year old, he did not know how to jump and does not know til this day and I am not going to teach him. He uses the stairs or waits until I put him down.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
Sharin
Maltese Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Oh yes I know very well about the jumping. The Maltese before this one was a jumper and climber. Two knee surgeries and he still jumped even tho I put stairs up on the bed and the couch. When I got Charlie at 1 year old, he did not know how to jump and does not know til this day and I am not going to teach him. He uses the stairs or waits until I put him down.
I learned by my mistakes too. The doggie ramp was the best move I made. It's in the garage now. I love them in bed with me but when they get older I worried about them falling off. I had tried with Chelsea to crate train from the beginning but she wouldn't have it. After three times messing in the cage, in a matter of minutes, she won. She was in my bed w/o being pottied trained. Never had an accident during the night. She fought the potty training like she fought so many things. She was the hardest to train but I loved her so much. She was so smart.
Sharin is offline   Reply With Quote