MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Grrrrrr

I HATE TECHNOLOGY!!! "Oh it's a simple swap." Lies, lies, lies. Spectrum bought out Time Warner. My internet modem was outdated and we kept getting kicked off, slow times etc etc. So of course to get it updated required a switch to Spectrum equipment. The downstairs cable set top box/DVR was fine, the upstairs box needed a change and the internet modem/router needed a change. My son-in-law came over to help. A "30 minute" swap out took 3 hours. OMG. Bless my son-in-law, he was on the phone with the help desk almost the entire time. We now have TV and we have internet. The internet is secure. However, we can't change the network name/access code which we should be able to do. He will tackle that another day for us. Then one of my sons had to mess with the wireless connection to the printer to get that up and running. It's working. But OMG! Technology is supposed to make life easier. hahaha! I think my blood pressure was through the roof and I was just the gopher for them.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

It is frustrating sometimes. It's nice when it works.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Our switch to Spectrum was in name only. All of our Bright house equipment worked the same without a hitch. Your stuff must have been antiques......
Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Our switch to Spectrum was in name only. All of our Bright house equipment worked the same without a hitch. Your stuff must have been antiques......
They were!!! The internet signal is much better now!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

I know it's a pain, but just be glad you even have cable! I salivate at the Spectrum ads on tv as here it's only telephone dsl or satellite, neither of which are anything to brag about! I get about 5.5 mbps at most to your 200 or at least 100! And friends who had satellite got locked out frequently for using more bandwidth than the satellite company thought they should!

Does that make you feel better? lol

Oh, & I pay what you pay for the 100 mpbs! It's such a rip-off! You'd think with all the smart people & the large tech industry here, they'd find a way to get decent internet to rural areas!!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I know it's a pain, but just be glad you even have cable! I salivate at the Spectrum ads on tv as here it's only telephone dsl or satellite, neither of which are anything to brag about! I get about 5.5 mbps at most to your 200 or at least 100! And friends who had satellite got locked out frequently for using more bandwidth than the satellite company thought they should!

Oh, & I pay what you pay for the 100 mpbs! It's such a rip-off! You'd think with all the smart people & the large tech industry here, they'd find a way to get decent internet to rural areas!!!!
Our area has 200 mpbs but we weren't getting that because our equipment was too outdated. We are now. Happy Day. I guess we will now be able to actually use Face Time without it cutting out or freezing. The grandsons always want to Face Time instead of just talk and it was awful. Our house had become a black hole even for receiving phone calls when we were using the home wireless for the Verizon phones. Verizon service is great but if you use Face Time it eats data like crazy so you need to be using your wireless internet connection. (we have just gotten rid of the land line phone and don't miss that at all. With 2 different cell phone numbers we are just fine even if 1 phone was to crash. And land lines can crash too. We've had times when the land line was out after major storms but the cell phones worked)

I do like cable vs the other options and I'm glad we have it. Friends of ours quit cable and are just using roko. That wouldn't work for me. Most of the channels we watch are not regular network: history, smithsonian, national geographic, A&E, ESPN, Golf to name a few. They don't pay much but they don't have many channels to choose from either. I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for.

My daughter switched to satellite a couple of years ago because it was cheaper (by locking into a contract). As soon as the contract was up they switched back to cable! We were watching the boys one time when they were on vacation. It snowed and the satellite froze and hubby had to take a blow dryer to it to melt the ice. And of course it went out whenever there was a rainstorm.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:

Oh they probably have the technology and the knowhow. ......... but if they used it, they would no longer be able to rip you off!

I have my internet, cable TV and my phone landline through Spectrum for around $182.00 a month.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Oh they probably have the technology and the knowhow. ......... but if they used it, they would no longer be able to rip you off!

I have my internet, cable TV and my phone landline through Spectrum for around $182.00 a month.
That's what burns me up - we pay a little over $130 for JUST phone & internet (crappy dsl at that) - no tv. We did have another company come in who would put in lines but the houses had to be in groups of so many houses who would sign up no further than 1000 feet apart. Now doesn't that make sense for a small farming community!!!

And I know we could move to a town with such amenities but if enough of us thought like that, there would be no food in the grocery stores!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:

That's why we stick with Cox even tho we are not too happy about them lately. We have Dish Network for TV but Cox for internet and phone. We asked Dish about satellite internet but they did not recommend it. Said they install this only in areas where there is nothing else.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
That's what burns me up - we pay a little over $130 for JUST phone & internet (crappy dsl at that) - no tv. We did have another company come in who would put in lines but the houses had to be in groups of so many houses who would sign up no further than 1000 feet apart. Now doesn't that make sense for a small farming community!!!

And I know we could move to a town with such amenities but if enough of us thought like that, there would be no food in the grocery stores!
Heaven forbid it would cost a little more to lay the cable initially. Penny wise, pound foolish. They would more than make up the initial installation cost in the long run.