MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Battling the Microfiber

I hate microfiber couches. They weren't cheap but I can't wait for a few more years to go by so I can feel justified getting a new couch and love seat. They just do not stay clean. The alcohol solutions on youtube don't work. Hubby paid to have them "professionally cleaned" and I was not impressed at all. Plus they used some type of chemical that really really smelled. Great. So a few years ago in desperation I took the carpet shampooer to them even though it is not recommended. They were so bad I actually didn't care if it ruined them. It works. But it's a PAIN. I did the love seat 2 nights ago and it's good. I did the sofa last night before bed and I'm going to have to hit some spots on it again. Ugh - first up on the To Do List today. I vacuum them once a week but they still get yucky. So I just put up with it until I can't stand it any longer and then take the carpet shampooer to them (once or twice a year). Anyone have any better luck or suggestions. I will never buy microfiber furniture again.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Never had microfiber fabric so no ideas on how to clean them, what's safe and what's not safe. We have leather furniture and when we are not home, Krissie has scratched the leather and I have yet to find something that will hide the scratches. And leather is no cheap either.

Can you call the place you purchased the furniture from and see if they have any suggestions or if they can give you the manufacturers phone number to call?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
JanG
Maltese Authority

We have a microfiber sofa & loveseat which needs to be replaced. The part I hate is that the Labs we had would lay right up against the bottom and it looks like worn fabric. I've always cleaned ours with Resolve Upholstery cleaner and it looked like new afterward.

DH & I are having strong discussions about replacing the carpet with tile or hardwood (don't really want hardwood with the dogs though) and it will depend on that outcome as to the kind of furniture we get! I wanted leather but that may not be a good option if it scratches! Maybe you can Google for a product that will hide them & you can Google cleaning microfiber furniture, Diane! lol
Old 02-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

I've done lots of googling on microfiber couches. Same problem for everyone. Wish I'd known then what I know now! Jan - did you have to clean the entire couch or just spots? Good to know about the Resolve - I'm going to get some because there are frequently some spots that need to be cleaned. Plus the dogs like to lick the couch. Yuck. If I don't see that they've done it - it will leave like a water ring. Why do they want to lick the couch. Especially when it's dirty. The couch and love seat look good right now. If only they would stay that way. My shampoo even has stain guard in it but that doesn't even stop them from eventually getting yucky.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Jan - just thought of something. Sometimes after I've cleaned the couches I've had to take a clean scrub brush and brush back and forth to bring the fabric back up so it didn't look worn. You might try that. (Didn't have to do that this time)

We have all hardwoods downstairs. Hasn't been a problem for the dogs except for the one time Tebow decided to freak out about them for a couple of weeks. I used a different cleaner and it had more of a shine to it. We do have area rugs and runners which covers some of the hardwood.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

I have a microfiber couch and love seat that are ten years old and look brand new! It's just the pup and me, though, so they don't get the use that a lot of people's would. The pup stays on her blanket, and I don't take food into the living room, so those things have probably helped as well...

Emma did pee on the couch once and I freaked out! I cleaned it though and it didn't leave even the slightest bit of a circle. I was lucky, for sure!
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Mama View Post
I have a microfiber couch and love seat that are ten years old and look brand new! It's just the pup and me, though, so they don't get the use that a lot of people's would. The pup stays on her blanket, and I don't take food into the living room, so those things have probably helped as well...

Emma did pee on the couch once and I freaked out! I cleaned it though and it didn't leave even the slightest bit of a circle. I was lucky, for sure!
You must have better microfiber than me. Plus it's me, hubby, 3 fluffs, and 2 grandsons on a regular basis. The fluffs do like their throws on the couch but I think the whole couch needs throws because they don't always stay on "their spot". However, these are Lazy Boy furniture which is supposed to be good. Haha. If you are a little bit sweaty don't sit or it will leave a mark. If you spill anything (even water) it will leave a mark. if the boys decide to lick the couch there will be a mark (still haven't figured out why they want to do that) Geez. They look beautiful right now but the amount of cleaning every 6 to 9 months is crazy. Not to mention how they look before I can't stand it anymore.

The boys have been annoyed the last 2 days as I kept kicking them off the couch while it was still wet. They like the big couch better than the loveseat (prob because that is where we sit)