MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Container Garden

I'm trying container gardening again. I did it a couple of years ago with not so wonderful results. But I learned a couple of things. BIG pot - 1 plant per pot. I'd love to have a real garden but that would require a structure to be built. The deer would have everything eaten in one night. At least they don't climb up the steps to the deck. I have 2 cherry tomato plants, 1 yellow pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 jalepeno pepper and 2 zucchini plants. We'll see how this goes. I figure if I get 3 peppers per plant, I break even on the peppers.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I wonder if it is really worth it. I had to put up on a table my pot with parsley in it so the rabbits won't eat it. Had to put a wire around the tomato plant to keep them away. All this to harvest 3 tomatoes. I have jalapenos and peppers in a container. Harvested 2 peppers. One year we had the jalapenos eaten by huge caterpillars ; they ate everything, the jalapenos and the leaves. All that was left was empty stems.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I wonder if it is really worth it. I had to put up on a table my pot with parsley in it so the rabbits won't eat it. Had to put a wire around the tomato plant to keep them away. All this to harvest 3 tomatoes. I have jalapenos and peppers in a container. Harvested 2 peppers. One year we had the jalapenos eaten by huge caterpillars ; they ate everything, the jalapenos and the leaves. All that was left was empty stems.
That's some rotten luck! I have a cage around the tomato plants to help support the leaves. Most of my plants are up on the deck so that helps. The bunnies and deer have never climbed the steps. You have a lot of heat. Maybe your tomatoes need more water. I've got aqua globes water sticks in the pots with the tomatoes to help them from drying out. My daughter put some in her porch plants and likes them. We've had a lot of rain the last few days, so haven't got a good gauge on how much they are drinking and if it helps. Not sure how many tomatoes it takes to break even on the cost but only 3 peppers per plant will cover the pepper plant cost. i'm hoping to get good at this to help defray some of the cost of buying organic veggies at the store.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

You probably can do better in NC, you don't have the heat we have. It's already up to 107 in the afternoon. My container plants have water every day now. The tomato plant had water every other day. The geraniums are starting to die even watered every day. I will be lucky if one makes it through the summer. If they make it through the summer, they come back in fall and will be beautiful again during winter and spring. I don't replace them with something else during the summer when they die. It is just not worth it. Only costing water.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
You probably can do better in NC, you don't have the heat we have. It's already up to 107 in the afternoon. My container plants have water every day now. The tomato plant had water every other day. The geraniums are starting to die even watered every day. I will be lucky if one makes it through the summer. If they make it through the summer, they come back in fall and will be beautiful again during winter and spring. I don't replace them with something else during the summer when they die. It is just not worth it. Only costing water.
Could you just do what we call a summer garden in the fall? Those are some high temps. I think I would shrivel up too.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

It depends what I plant in a container. In Texas herbs do good in containers.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom

Containers take a whole lot more water than an in ground garden! Going away for a few days is what used to do my plants in. So this year I bough some self watering aids. I have aqua water globe self watering sticks in some of the plants and plant nanny in some others. I'll have to take a picture of the plant nanny for everyone. It's a clay spike and you fill up a wine bottle and turn it upside down in the spike. Didn't have any wine bottles handy so 2 pepper plants are having a fiesta. Their water bottle is a Dos Equi beer bottle. The plants are drinking the water. We've had a good bit of rain during the last week so I'll be interested to see how it goes when we have a few days of no rain.