MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Forcast of Snow

Well they are talking snow starting late tomorrow night and most of the day Saturday. You mention the "S" word here and everyone runs to the grocery store to buy up all the milk and bread. My daughter said the store was crazy. I'm not going. I've got a freezer full of meat and frozen veggies. I don't care if we run out of bread or milk. Better than fighting the crazies.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
2Malts4Me
Donating MT 500 Club Member

It's the same way here and we're only expecting 3 inches. I got my weekly groceries at 5 am this morning, before I went to work. I knew if I waited till tonight, the store would be crazy. I absolutely hate crowds. It pushes my anxiety to the max. I order almost anything I can online.
2Malts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Tebow's Mom

All you have to do is mention a possibility of snow flurries in central North Carolina and it is instant panic. LOL. A dusting of snow will shut down the cities. The problem is, our snow typically isn't pure snow - there is a mixture of ice in it as well. This time they are talking snow - 3 to 6 inches. If we get that much it will be Tuesday before things get going again around here. It's going to stay below freezing until then and that is a long time around here. Since it doesn't happen often we don't have that much snow equipment. We rely on sunshine power. I'm bringing work home with me tomorrow as I'm thinking there will not be school Monday and I'll be working from home.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Morkie4
Donating Member

No predictions of snow here in Florida.

But our stores are crazy when a hurricane is on the horizon. Every body rns to the store mainly for water and can goods. Of course the gas stations are overrun with people getting their tanks filled up in case they have to make a run for it!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
Zanadu'sMom
Donating MT 14,000 Club Member

We just got about 2 inches, which is nothing compared to what we are used to..I am leaving for Florida , Sunday.. Have to check on my dad, he has Alzheimer's .. We got a nice lady to come in 5 hours a day 5x a week..I want to keep him home as long as I can, but it just gets worse..The meds Aricept & Namenda are helping,,I had to take away his new car, we told him it got stolen ... I need to tell him the truth Sunday..I will probably stay longer than a week, while Nick probably has to leave..I have to go to a lawyer, take my father to 2 doctors and meet the cleaning lady, she is gonna come every 2 weeks .. I was just there 1 month ago. My dad is going through that Sun-Downing associated with Alzheimer's.. It is just awful.. He was 160 and now he is 130 pds.. When people are around he eats like a wild pig, but when alone he just wont eat.. Thank God my dad has a good pension , this stuff is expensive..I wont sell his house, I want it for us and for him.. I go to Florida now every 8 weeks, it's crazy, but necessary
Zanadu'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanadu'sMom View Post
We just got about 2 inches, which is nothing compared to what we are used to..I am leaving for Florida , Sunday.. Have to check on my dad, he has Alzheimer's .. We got a nice lady to come in 5 hours a day 5x a week..I want to keep him home as long as I can, but it just gets worse..The meds Aricept & Namenda are helping,,I had to take away his new car, we told him it got stolen ... I need to tell him the truth Sunday..I will probably stay longer than a week, while Nick probably has to leave..I have to go to a lawyer, take my father to 2 doctors and meet the cleaning lady, she is gonna come every 2 weeks .. I was just there 1 month ago. My dad is going through that Sun-Downing associated with Alzheimer's.. It is just awful.. He was 160 and now he is 130 pds.. When people are around he eats like a wild pig, but when alone he just wont eat.. Thank God my dad has a good pension , this stuff is expensive..I wont sell his house, I want it for us and for him.. I go to Florida now every 8 weeks, it's crazy, but necessary
Been through this with my Dad. I might ask you, does he have Alzheimer or dementia. Aricept is great for Alzheimer but not for dementia.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
2Malts4Me

Quote:
I'm so sorry Andrea. Thank God your dad has you and your family. I know it's an awful thing to see and watch. I'm going thru the same thing. My dad is in Orlando living with a caregiver. I moved him here. He wanted his own house. Found him one 1/2 block from me. Furnished the house with what he needed. He was here from Oct until one day in April, he calls a friend in Florida, has this friend book him a flight back to FL, calls me at work, says he's going back home.

Everyday is a struggle for them and for us. I'm sorry Andrea. I know you love your dad very much. Xo
Old 01-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Malts4Me View Post
I'm so sorry Andrea. Thank God your dad has you and your family. I know it's an awful thing to see and watch. I'm going thru the same thing. My dad is in Orlando living with a caregiver. I moved him here. He wanted his own house. Found him one 1/2 block from me. Furnished the house with what he needed. He was here from Oct until one day in April, he calls a friend in Florida, has this friend book him a flight back to FL, calls me at work, says he's going back home.

Everyday is a struggle for them and for us. I'm sorry Andrea. I know you love your dad very much. Xo
Oh my!!!! I have a similar situation with my mother. She is 91 years old and lives by herself.......so far. She is a very stubborn lady and so far is not a danger to herself or anyone else. I prepare meals for her, freeze them and take them to her so I know she is getting at least one good meal a day. Her memory is a little affected but for the most part she does really well. My brother or I go every 13 days to refill her medicine containers, grocery shopping, clean, etc. I had her license revoked because she was just not "strong" enough to handle driving.

I have some real horror stories when she was sick, in and out of hospitals, rehabs and assisted living facilities. And I do mean horror stories!

So I guess everybody who has an aging parent knows how stressful and difficult it is.

I do have a question for you. Have you noticed your parent having an excessive desire for sweets? My mom buys two coffee cakes, a dozen cupcakes, a bag of caramels, 4 dozen cookies, hersey kisses and now she has added an apple pie EVERY 13 days. Soooooo much sweets!

I feel for you both......it's a really hard road to travel!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
2Malts4Me

No I can't say my dad has a passion for sweets. Some days he basically eats nothing. The next day he may eat 3 regular meals, then want nothing but pretzels and coffee for 3 days. He is a tall man and in the last 1 1/2 years has gone fron 210 lbs to 160. He is drinking Boost but its really not helping much.

Did your mom always like sweets so much? Is she really eating all of that? Do you think she gives some away to friends?

Yes it sounds like all 3 of us are dealing with aging parents in different ways.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Malts4Me View Post
No I can't say my dad has a passion for sweets. Some days he basically eats nothing. The next day he may eat 3 regular meals, then want nothing but pretzels and coffee for 3 days. He is a tall man and in the last 1 1/2 years has gone fron 210 lbs to 160. He is drinking Boost but its really not helping much.

Did your mom always like sweets so much? Is she really eating all of that? Do you think she gives some away to friends?

Yes it sounds like all 3 of us are dealing with aging parents in different ways.
She was never big on sweets. She does eat it all and she is not the sharing type. Breakfast is a cupcake, midmorning is another sweet and she munches on candy all day. Good thing she is not diabetic! She weighed 115 when she was healthy and took care of herself but weighs 95 pounds and can't gain weight. Bought boost but she won't drink it. She has issues with low sodium and takes 3 sodium pills a day. LOVES her coke! Has at least one a day. Ya know it's hard to watch them deteriorate but there is sometimes nothing you can do but try to help them.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Tebow's Mom

Andrea, been there, done that. Alzheimers is a cruel disease. Heart problems got my Dad eventually but we went through the Sundowners, the crazies, etc etc. He was so mean toward the end and that was not him but it was very hard for me. He still sorta knew who I was although half of the time he thought I was my Mom. He knew somehow my kids were related/important but he couldn't name them most of the time. He would refer to them as your boy and your girl. I have some stories now that I can actually laugh at although at the time they were devastating. Just as a sample, one day he told me the Quaker Oats man came and offered him a job to straighten out his company as they had financial problems. hee hee My Dad was a bank president so I guess you can kind of connect the dots on that one. Another time President Carter came to visit him and spent a long time talking to him while my Dad planted flowers. Those stories are from the early days of the disease. Tons of other crazy stories. As far as the car, don't tell him you sold it. If he's OK with someone stole it, just keep telling him the police are working on it. Allow him to preserve some dignity for as long as possible. My Dad drove me nuts about getting his license renewed. So "as soon as you finish PT and get your strength back...." He had been discharged from PT eons ago and there wasn't a chance in the world but it made him feel better. (and prevented a major argument.) The same story had to be repeated again and again and again as he couldn't remember. It's so hard to repeat again and again, especially in the same day but just remember they really don't know they've asked that already. After having been through it, I really feel white lies are totally fine. Give your Dad as much quality of life for as long as you can. Hang in there. It's a tough road. If you even need to vent, PM me, ask me for my phone number. Sometimes just talking to someone who's been through it helps a lot.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Oh my!!!! I have a similar situation with my mother. She is 91 years old and lives by herself.......so far. She is a very stubborn lady and so far is not a danger to herself or anyone else. I prepare meals for her, freeze them and take them to her so I know she is getting at least one good meal a day. Her memory is a little affected but for the most part she does really well. My brother or I go every 13 days to refill her medicine containers, grocery shopping, clean, etc. I had her license revoked because she was just not "strong" enough to handle driving.

I have some real horror stories when she was sick, in and out of hospitals, rehabs and assisted living facilities. And I do mean horror stories!

So I guess everybody who has an aging parent knows how stressful and difficult it is.

I do have a question for you. Have you noticed your parent having an excessive desire for sweets? My mom buys two coffee cakes, a dozen cupcakes, a bag of caramels, 4 dozen cookies, hersey kisses and now she has added an apple pie EVERY 13 days. Soooooo much sweets!

I feel for you both......it's a really hard road to travel!
When my Dad was alive, he consumed 5 gallons of ice cream every two days. He would wash the containers and built a pyramid of containers in the garage. I figured he was 91, he could eat what he wanted. As his disease progressed, we did have someone with him. He would pour his drink in his food and might not even eat. Later he was in a home and pretty much out of his mind. We fixed him tv dinners of home cooking but he would forget they were in the freezer. I also have horror stories. Even the best facilities can be a nightmare.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 AM   #13
Zanadu'sMom

Wow!! Thank you all so much for telling your stories and offering help..
I really appreciate that <3 .. When my Father In Law passed in July 2014, I noticed my dad was kind of acting a little funny, but I didn't pick up on it...

When we realized I blamed myself, saying my dad went 2 yrs without any medication, cause I knew something was off, but not that off..

My dad is only 77 so it is kind of young for it, but it runs rampant in his fathers family..He calls me all day and I have to keep repeating myself..Then he will leave messages screaming saying why have you abandoned me You don't call me back, you don't talk to me..I talk to him 100x a day, thank God I don't work and the boys are big now..

I refuse to put him in a nursing home, will not do it.. I was thinking about assisted living when it got bad, but then it was explained to me that if you have Alzheimer's - Dementia you are housed in a separate unit .. I understand that, but I am not going to give 4 to 5 thousand a month so my dad can sit there..He can't come to New York, he came 3 weeks ago and he was a mess, walking into the closet , thinking it was the bathroom, he was freezing..I just left Florida December 7 and I am leaving to go back, Sunday..

Thank God Nick understands.. We must have spent 10 grand on flying down in the last year , sometimes we just book it last minute cause my dad is in a panic , so last second is very expensive..

It is sad that this disease takes everything away from the person, slowly.. My dad is lost without his car, but I will not be responsible for him killing someone or himself..So maybe I will just keep telling him it was stolen ..

It breaks my heart, cause he keeps saying I know something is wrong with me, I worked all my life did everything right and now I feel like a baby, it is very sad.. But we will be alright, if I have to stay there I will, what can I do..He is constantly looking for me.. He thinks I live with him.. Yesterday he called me and said do me a favor , before you come home get me a vegetable bagel..LOL

Thanks Girls, XOXOXO <3 <3

Last edited by Zanadu'sMom; 01-07-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #14
Morkie4
Donating Member

I don't know how this thread went from predicted snow to our parents but glad it did. I think it helps to know how others handled and are handling similar situations with their aging parent.

My mother is still with the program but is just forgetful about already having told me something and will recall me to tell me......I just let her tell me again but at least the second time is the same as the first.

Taking her license away was devastating to her and I knew it would be but I could not bare the guilt of her hurting someone else or herself. She has a Ford Explorer SUV and it's like driving a tank. She was really mad at me for months and the tension was horrible when I had to take her places. She always reminded me if I hadn't taken her license I wouldn't have to take her. It's a two hour round trip for me so I can't really complain.

The only time she loses her mind is when her her sodium levels drop or she has a UTI. Then she becomes extremely disoriented and is in another world. Fortunately we can tell when she is having a problem and hop on it right away before it gets out of control. My life for the last four years has been one big emotional ride.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 AM   #15
Zanadu'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
I don't know how this thread went from predicted snow to our parents but glad it did. I think it helps to know how others handled and are handling similar situations with their aging parent.

My mother is still with the program but is just forgetful about already having told me something and will recall me to tell me......I just let her tell me again but at least the second time is the same as the first.

Taking her license away was devastating to her and I knew it would be but I could not bare the guilt of her hurting someone else or herself. She has a Ford Explorer SUV and it's like driving a tank. She was really mad at me for months and the tension was horrible when I had to take her places. She always reminded me if I hadn't taken her license I wouldn't have to take her. It's a two hour round trip for me so I can't really complain.

The only time she loses her mind is when her her sodium levels drop or she has a UTI. Then she becomes extremely disoriented and is in another world. Fortunately we can tell when she is having a problem and hop on it right away before it gets out of control. My life for the last four years has been one big emotional ride.
Of course it was me that went from snow to Alzheimer's .. I appreciate all the stories, it really is devastating..Carol , how is your kids and your beautiful grandchildren?