MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #46
Punky
No Longer a Member

Low Cal & Low Fat Spicey Pecan Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup(s) pecan halves
1/4 cup(s) plain dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground chipotle pepper
1 large egg white
2 tablespoon(s) water
1 tablespoon(s) canola oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

1.Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
2.Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined. Dip each chicken breast in the egg white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.
3.Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil. Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
(per serving)

Calories 281
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 66mg
Sodium 429mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber --
Sugars --
Protein 29g
Calcium 0
Punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #47
LuvMyMalt
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinttisLuke View Post
Mmmmm!!! Did you make it today??

Where do you live?
Can I go to your home and have a piece?

I'll take coffee
LOL If it wasn't so hot out, I'd love to make it and will be soon! It's so refreshing, and yes, I will even make you some gourmet Hazelnut coffee...or maybe Vanilla!

It's really so easy - if you give it a whirl, let me know!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
LuvMyMalt
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup(s) pecan halves
1/4 cup(s) plain dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground chipotle pepper
1 large egg white
2 tablespoon(s) water
1 tablespoon(s) canola oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

1.Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
2.Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined. Dip each chicken breast in the egg white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.
3.Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil. Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
(per serving)

Calories 281
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 66mg
Sodium 429mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber --
Sugars --
Protein 29g
Calcium 0
Mmmmmm....sounds yummy! Thanks for joining in and sharing You are toooooo good with the breakdown of calories, etc. - KUDOS! Great for diabetics and everyone to know

More, more!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #49
Punky
No Longer a Member

Marinara Sauce

1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 28-ounce can no-salt added chopped tomatoes, undrained , Fire Roasted if available
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:
Heat oil in a large pan or skillet. Sauté garlic and onions on low heat until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add chopped herbs and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Makes about 3 cups

Serves 6

Per 1/2 cup serving: Calories 64, Calories from Fat 10, Total Fat 1g (Sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 25mg, Carbohydrate 11.7g, Fiber 2.3g, Protein 1.9g

You can add a cup of white wine and simmer another 15 but I am allergic to grapes so omit
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #50
ilovemysnow
Donating MT 500 Club Member

Love this thread BTW! I'm not really into cooking, since there was a phase that I absolutely wanted & was so eager to learn how to cook and when i cooked for my dad.. he had nothing but negative things to say about it (not even any advice how to do it better next time.. just all out put downs!!) which made me cry and swore never to cook again! (I was 18).. but now that I live alone and have to feed myself thought i'd start cooking my favorite food and critique MYSELF! Bare with me though i don't measure anything.. Lol this recipe, i just love love love.. finger lickin good LOVE! any questions on it let me know..

Crab with Coconut milk

Ingredients:
2 live crabs
1 whole onion (white)
1 clove of garlic
2 whole green peppers (depends how spicy you like it, i put like 4)
2 cans of coconut milk (depending how much sauce/soupy you like)

Directions:
1.) prep: cut up onions anyway you like, cut up peppers, just smash the garlic or cut, whichever you like
2.) boil the crab in a wok until it turns orange (10-15 mins on high)
3.) remove crab from water and cut in the middle and place in a separate plate, remove water in wok as well
4.) add a drizzle of olive oil in wok and throw the garlic in, once it becomes a little golden brown, throw in the onions until cooked
5.) add coconut milk and crab in the wok, put a lid for about 5-10 mins on medium (let the crab cook more in the coconut milk).. when the coconut milk bubbles a little bit it should be ready!

And that's all folks! Wow this is the first time I'VE ever given anyone a lesson on cooking something. LOL i've been calling myself the microwave chef for YEARS!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #51
Punky
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysnow View Post
Love this thread BTW! I'm not really into cooking, since there was a phase that I absolutely wanted & was so eager to learn how to cook and when i cooked for my dad.. he had nothing but negative things to say about it (not even any advice how to do it better next time.. just all out put downs!!) which made me cry and swore never to cook again! (I was 18).. but now that I live alone and have to feed myself thought i'd start cooking my favorite food and critique MYSELF! Bare with me though i don't measure anything.. Lol this recipe, i just love love love.. finger lickin good LOVE! any questions on it let me know..

Crab with Coconut milk

Ingredients:
2 live crabs
1 whole onion (white)
1 clove of garlic

Directions:
1.) prep: cut up onions anyway you like, cut up peppers, just smash the garlic or cut, whichever you like
3.) remove crab from water and cut in the middle and place in a separate plate, remove water in wok as well
4.) add a drizzle of olive oil in wok and throw the garlic in, once it becomes a little golden brown, throw in the onions until cooked
5.) add coconut milk and crab in the wok, put a lid for about 5-10 mins on medium (let the crab cook more in the coconut milk).. when the coconut milk bubbles a little bit it should be ready!

And that's all folks! Wow this is the first time I'VE ever given anyone a lesson on cooking something. LOL i've been calling myself the microwave chef for YEARS!
That sounds REALLY good! I LOVE the idea of coconut milk as I don't drink cow, goat ect well you get the picture. Thanks for sharing sounds yummy!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #52
CinttisLuke
No Longer a Member

Quote:

Crab with Coconut milk

Ingredients:
2 live crabs
1 whole onion (white)
1 clove of garlic

Directions:

LOL Mia you are so cute!!! It sounds sooooooo yummy!! Lucas and I would visit you if Snow's teach Lucas how to "Play dead" and if you cook me some of this LOL!... Jk!!!!!!
CinttisLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #53
ilovemysnow
Donating MT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
That sounds REALLY good! I LOVE the idea of coconut milk as I don't drink cow, goat ect well you get the picture. Thanks for sharing sounds yummy!
It's very yummy!! Let me know if you ever try it. It's so simple, even a microwave chef can do it! hahah and coconut milk is the way to go.. sooo delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinttisLuke View Post
LOL Mia you are so cute!!! It sounds sooooooo yummy!! Lucas and I would visit you if Snow's teach Lucas how to "Play dead" and if you cook me some of this LOL!... Jk!!!!!!
If you ever come up to the bay area PLS PLS let me know and I will definitely cook this for us!!! I'm sure Snow can teach Lucas a thing or two, Lucas can teach Snow how to dance on command! Lol awww can you just imagine both of them dancing together?? that would be toooooooooo cute!!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #54
CinttisLuke
No Longer a Member

Quote:
It's very yummy!! Let me know if you ever try it. It's so simple, even a microwave chef can do it! hahah and coconut milk is the way to go.. sooo delicious!

If you ever come up to the bay area PLS PLS let me know and I will definitely cook this for us!!! I'm sure Snow can teach Lucas a thing or two, Lucas can teach Snow how to dance on command! Lol awww can you just imagine both of them dancing together?? that would be toooooooooo cute!!
That would be SOOOOOOOOO CUTE!! And I think the two of us would be just melt to them!! To much cuteness with Snow and Lucas! That sounds amazing to me LOL!
CinttisLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #55
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

Simple French Toast

[The following makes for 4 servings]

Ingredients:

8 pieces of sliced French baguette or any other bread
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract (or vanilla bean)
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tbsp of sugar
Dash of salt

Butter or canola oil for cooking
Powdered sugar (optional)
Fresh fruits to garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. In a shallow baking dish, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and salt.
2. Place pieces of bread onto the dish. Soak at least 5 minutes and flip over (The longer the soak, the more flavourful. But this is usually good for really stale bread). The fresher the bread, the more soggy it might be. So maybe not too long!)
3. Heat butter or oil on a pan on medium heat. Place soaked bread and cook about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
4. Set cooked toasts on plates and dust with powered sugar, if desired. Serve with syrup and enjoy breakfast!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBprep.jpg (94.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg french toast.jpg (52.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Daisy517; 02-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Daisy517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #56
Punky
No Longer a Member

Low cal & Low fat spicey chili

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium tomato soup
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground allspice
salt to taste
Directions
1.Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until evenly brown; drain.
2.Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in turkey, tomato soup, kidney beans, black beans and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, allspice and salt.
3.Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 241 | Total Fat: 8.6g | Cholesterol: 42mg
Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #57
angeleyes
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Okay, I finally read the recipes in this thread and now I am hungry. Hoping tomorrow I will feel better as I want to make a couple things. One very simple thing that Denny and I love and the grandkids is my semi sweet crunchie pickles.

I bought a jar of baby dills and I drain the juice off rinse out the jar and cut the pickles up into bite size pieces back into the jar. Fill the jar with white sugar, tapping it on the counter to get the sugar to all pieces. Fill almost to the top. Put the lid on and set it one the counter for 3 days. Shake the jar well several times a day. After the 3 days, refrigerate. When cold they are sweet and just a tiny hint of dill but WOW the crunch Even Velasic can't come close!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #58
angeleyes

Another easy recipe we use a lot is cold taco salad.
I pkg. Phil. cream cheese (softened)
1 pkg. taco seasoning
mix together with small mixer and spread in bottom of cake pan (9x13)

You can use what ever vegs you like but I put chopped or shredded lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes, green pepper diced, black olives diced, onions . top with shredded cheddar cheese.

I serve this with Old Dutch yellow deli chips
It's great when you don't feel like cooking, it's hot outside (someday)
It is a pretty salad to take anywhere.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #59
angeleyes

For desserts: Chocolate Ice Cream Dessert

in 9 x13 pan make graham cracker crust as directed. Bake for just a few mins.

Mix 1 pkg. Dream Whip as directed
add: 1 large pkg. Jello Instant choc pudding
mix well:
Add 1 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

Spread on top of crust and refrigerate
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #60
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

I just bought a book on casserole. Have yet to make it. Why do all those pictures look so delicious. Just hope it tastes as good as it looks when I get to it. Will keep ya posted
Daisy517 is offline   Reply With Quote