MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Training

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
maryann1064
MT Newbie

Unhappy HELP!! Housebreaking issues

Harley is almost 5 months old, I got him when he was 8 weeks and immediately started house breaking. He was in a crate and taken out every 1-2 hours then allowed to stay out of the crate and play. The problem is that while in his crate he will let me know by whining or barking that he needs to go out but as soon as I let him out he will not let me know, he just goes anywhere! I have him limited to the living room when he is out and I watch him but he will go anyway, if I try to stop him from going he just looks at me and try's to keep doing his business. Sometimes he hasn't been back inside for more than 5 minutes before he goes again in the house. I've tried treats and praise, nothing is working. Another problem is that he will not walk outside on his own, when I put him on his leash he will not move. I have to pick him up and put him outside, once outside he is fine, he just won't walk out on his own...I need some advice because this is getting very frustrating.
maryann1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

HI and welcome to Maltesetalk!

If he is not using the bathroom in his crate that is a positive. The only thing I can suggest is to not let him out of his crate free to immediately roam but carry him directly from the crate to outside to potty and be patient while he finds his favorite spot. Continue with the treats and verbal rewards after each correct potty. Make sure any areas in the house that he has used the potty are completely cleaned to eliminate odors that could attract him to reuse that area.

As far as the leash, put it on him while he is in the house (always supervised) and let him get use to it while he is in the house in his comfort zone and see how he reacts. If he does well with that try taking him outside to potty leaving the leash on but not under your control but again under supervision. Hope he improves.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
maryann1064
MT Newbie

Leash

He actually does good with a leash, I have gotten him use to it. The problem is going outside period. He will not under any circumstances walk out the front door, I have to pick him up and take him out. I'm wondering if his fear of walking outside is what is halting the potty training? As for taking him to potty, I do make sure he goes straight from crate to outside but as soon as he comes back in if I don't put him right back in the crate he will go in the house. I make sure it's cleaned up and he seldom goes in the same place twice.

Last edited by maryann1064; 02-09-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added
Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

You can use a belly ban while inside the house. I did this to one of my boys until he got the hang of outside potty. You can also put a potty pad in an area and take him to that area. What I did, I started the pups off in the bathroom. Then they got to go to the play area. The bathroom had potty pads. If they started having accidents, I reduced the play area so they would go to the potty pad. It takes patience. Their kidneys sometimes takes a while to develop.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
maryann1064
MT Newbie

Belly ban?

What is a belly ban? I've tried puppy pads, he just shreds them.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1064 View Post
What is a belly ban? I've tried puppy pads, he just shreds them.
Several on amazon. I would recommend the washable. You put a panty liner in them.
https://www.amazon.com/Washable-Dura...y+band+for+dog
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

If you can catch him in the act, pick him up and cradle him so he is feet up. That will stop the peeing and then you carry him outside to pee. when you clean are you using a product designed for dogs? Regular rug cleaners don't remove the smell. Little dogs can be stubborn about potty training. Hang in there.