MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > My Maltese!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
JanG
Maltese Authority

News

Well, I haven't really posted here in a while as it felt kinda 'wrong' since we didn't have a Maltese any longer. Plus, it kind of hurt to come in and see all the beautiful babies and made me miss mine more.

We went to Cary this morning to see about a Maltese mix in rescue there and brought her home for a trial. She's a bit larger than we'd hoped & it's not obvious what she's mixed with. She's about 6 years old and is kind of scruffy looking now as she had to be shaved to the skin. Like the typical long-haired rescue, she was so matted that it hurt her to touch her. They think she developed the habit of growling and nipping to keep people from touching her but the rescue lady said she was fine as long as movements weren't too quick. So far, she's been fine with us (after an initial growl & snap) but I don't know if I can deal with a nippy dog so don't know if we'll keep her.

She is sweet and cuddly after she gets to know you though and gets along well with Teddy. I think Teddy likes her because she isn't treat-motivated like he is and will drop any treat for him to scarf up! They do get along together but don't play together. They just barely acknowledge each other but at least don't fight!

Anyway, thought I'd show you her photo and see what you think:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trial.jpg (64.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

First off, just because you don't have a Maltese doesn't mean you are not part of "our family" here at MT!!!!! NOW DON'T MAKE ME POST A POLL to show you just how much you have been and are a big part of MT. Now that I have that straightened out.

She looks adorable. My Brandy is larger than the standard, tail doesn't look Maltese and hair is not like the rest. And when we brought her home, she growled and bit both me and the hubby. She wanted nothing to do with us or any of the other pups. She didnt even want to be in the same room with any of us. Yep, sometimes baggage comes with these rescues. Lots of love, patience and time went by and she finally came around. Now she is a gem, loves the hubby like you would not believe. Whether we are sitting on the couch or in bed, she has to "touch" him. If he moves from one room to the other, she goes along like a shadow. She is something else. Can't even play cards together without her being on his lap.

With that said, we never expected her DNA test to come back 100% Maltese but it did.

I don't know how much time the rescue will allow you to keep her before you have to make a decision but I hope they will allow enough for her to adjust to the many changes and feel secure. But she is definitely a cutie.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

She is adorable and will even look more adorable once the hair has grown a little longer. She needs some time to adapt and will not nip you when her fear is gone. Quick movements might scare her. I hope you can keep her.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Tebow's Mom
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

She looks a lot of Maltese to me. And probably even more so when the hair grows in some. Baby Ollie is the biggest of my 3 and is all Maltese. He's 11 pounds and looks like a big boy next to little Bentley. Last visit I asked the vet if he was fat and no he's not - just bigger boned. Rescues do come with baggage but they are usually so loving when they get comfortable. Bentley still freaks if hands move quickly towards his face and may nip. And then he feels so guilty that he licks you to death.

And as Carol said - you are part of this group! Maltese or no Maltese!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Mine are big and tiny so size does not matter to me. Just give it time and probably turn into a cuddle bug.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Exciting news! I hope that everything works out with your new baby and that she is able to adjust soon.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

How exciting! It will take time and patience, and esp. love. We have no idea how much damage can be done to these little ones, but they do learn to forgive and become loyal, unlike many humans.
She is a real cutie.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:17 AM   #8
JanG
Maltese Authority

Thanks everyone. She is a real sweetie and a cuddle bug 99% of the time then she'll growl and snap without a seeming reason. Poor Teddy is pretty much afraid of her.

We have 2 weeks for a trial although she goes back to the rescue for a dental on January 3rd.

Diane, how does Bentley do with your young grandchildren? That's my real concern. Our little/young ones live in Maine and don't visit that often but they'll be here in February and I don't want them hurt, of course. They've been well taught to treat animals well but they're only 2 and 3 and kids tend to get so excited when they see a cute animal that's 'their size'.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
Tebow's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Thanks everyone. She is a real sweetie and a cuddle bug 99% of the time then she'll growl and snap without a seeming reason. Poor Teddy is pretty much afraid of her.

We have 2 weeks for a trial although she goes back to the rescue for a dental on January 3rd.

Diane, how does Bentley do with your young grandchildren? That's my real concern. Our little/young ones live in Maine and don't visit that often but they'll be here in February and I don't want them hurt, of course. They've been well taught to treat animals well but they're only 2 and 3 and kids tend to get so excited when they see a cute animal that's 'their size'.
They do fine. You do have to have an eye on them but that is pretty true with any dog. Any dog can snap if provoked enough. They know not to try and pick him up and to let Bentley come to them. Lots of reminders when they were really little. Typically first words out of their mouths when they came in the door were “Bentley bites. Tebow doesn’t”. If they didn’t say it on their own, I would say it. That bein said Bentley has never bitten them. Somehow I thinks he gets it that they are little. I also sat on the floor with them and helped them play fetch. I woul always take the ball out of Bentley’s mouth and then hand it to them. We still do it that way and they almost always want me to get the ball from Tebow and Ollie as well even now.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Tebow's Mom

Oh and first thing when they see her, everybody sit on the floor. Let them place treats on the floor for her to get. Keeps their little hands safe and a little bit of distance. Even will feed mine out of his hand now but Austin still drops the treat on the floor.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
Oh and first thing when they see her, everybody sit on the floor. Let them place treats on the floor for her to get. Keeps their little hands safe and a little bit of distance. Even will feed mine out of his hand now but Austin still drops the treat on the floor.
That's a great idea. She's really not so bad and is getting better all the time. She's beginning to figure out that growling and snapping doesn't get her anywhere any more and I'm hopeful that she'll be a calm and good dog.

Now if we could just figure out a name for her!
Old 12-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

If she has not been abused by children she will be fine with them. Explain to the kids that this is a new dog that has not had a nice life and that they have to be super careful around him in order not to scare him. Don't let them interact with her by themselves before you know she is fine with it. And anyway you should never let kids that young unsupervised with any dog.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
If she has not been abused by children she will be fine with them. Explain to the kids that this is a new dog that has not had a nice life and that they have to be super careful around him in order not to scare him. Don't let them interact with her by themselves before you know she is fine with it. And anyway you should never let kids that young unsupervised with any dog.
Of course! My only concern was the quickness of kids even when they are being supervised! She's really good except when someone moves too fast toward her face.

Last edited by JanG; 12-21-2017 at 02:42 PM.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote