MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum (https://www.maltesetalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese (https://www.maltesetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I delayed it as long as possible... (https://www.maltesetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86380)

Emma's Mama 02-13-2018 06:07 PM

I delayed it as long as possible...
 
...but today was rabies shot day for Olivia. She turns 6 months old tomorrow, and by law, she had to be vaccinated by 6 months, so we had that done this morning. She stayed with my mom the rest of the day while I was at work, just in case she had a reaction, but she was fine. I'm glad to have that behind us.

She did get lots of attention at the vet clinic in her Valentine's Day dress! :)

OzMonster 02-13-2018 06:51 PM

Aaahhh! She must have been so cute! Such a fun age for a Maltese!

MalteseJane 02-13-2018 09:17 PM

Charlie had his rabies shot this morning too. We are good for another 3 years.

Morkie4 02-14-2018 02:55 AM

Awwwww, sometimes they do have a reaction but really glad Olivia didn't have one. Mine never have either. Toby will be going next week for his 3 year rabies vaccine and probably his last one since he is 12 years old.......next one would be at age15. I hope he is still around but one never knows.

JanG 02-14-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emma's Mama (Post 357327)
...but today was rabies shot day for Olivia. She turns 6 months old tomorrow, and by law, she had to be vaccinated by 6 months, so we had that done this morning. She stayed with my mom the rest of the day while I was at work, just in case she had a reaction, but she was fine. I'm glad to have that behind us.

She did get lots of attention at the vet clinic in her Valentine's Day dress! :)

Poor baby but it had to be done, I guess. I've heard of law enforcement taking the dog even or huge fines for not having them

Hope you took pics of her in her Valentine's dress!

Tebow's Mom 02-14-2018 07:58 AM

I'm glad she is fine. Mine have never had a reaction thank goodness. Like Jan said - picture in Valentine's dress?

Emma's Mama 02-14-2018 04:07 PM

Emma had a reaction to a rabies shot so I was very cautious about the whole thing. She lost a giant patch of hair at the injection site, and then she ended up with a thyroid problem, which is not at all uncommon from vaccination, especially the rabies vaccine in toy breeds. (I've spent a lot of time reading up on Dr. Jean Dodds in the years since...good info for dog owners.)

I didn't take any pics! I was in such a hurry to get her dropped off at my mom's and get to work that I didn't even think of it.

bphslp 02-15-2018 04:01 PM

Never had a problem with rabies shot if given by itself and not a combination of shots. I have had several puppies react to their first shots. I believe in doses of those shots per their size.

Emma's Mama 02-15-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bphslp (Post 357353)
Never had a problem with rabies shot if given by itself and not a combination of shots.

I'd never allow my pup to get a rabies shot in combination with anything else.

Morkie4 02-15-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emma's Mama (Post 357356)
I'd never allow my pup to get a rabies shot in combination with anything else.

Yep that!:wink5:

Morkie4 02-15-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bphslp (Post 357353)
I believe in doses of those shots per their size.

Have you a vet in your area thar cooperates with that idea? Most vets are of the mind set that "one size fits all."


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2010 MalteseTalk.com