View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
JanG
Maltese Authority

Jan, veggies have carbs too. You can loose as much weight just by eating protein. The thing is that when you stop and go back to a regular diet, you will gain back all you lost and some more. I can do it for a few months, but for the rest of my life ? No way. I want to enjoy what I eat. And only veggies is just not my cup of tea.

I totally understand. But I chose the vegetarian lifestyle a long time ago and I also chose what vegetables I ate based on what was touted as healthy at the time. But, it was some of the carbs in vegetables that got me in food trouble so that's why the Keto diet is a lifestyle change, not just a weight loss gimmick.

I still enjoy food but different foods than what I previously ate. For instance, now I eat mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Instead of wheat flour (which is usually overly processed and, at the least, has been 'improved' to the point where the nutrition isn't what the body really needs any more. Plus, it usually contains lots of mold from storage), I use almond or coconut flours. Instead of the high carb beans and some fruits and vegetables with carbs that the body converts into sugars, I eat low carb, high fiber vegetables and fruits.

As for sugars, it's been proven that they contribute to, and cause growth of, cancer cells. I don't know how true it is but I've read that the sugar industry actually paid for the single most influential study that said it was fat that caused heart disease. The sugar industry was afraid it would become known how bad sugar is for you. Wasn't it you who told us about sugar and Clymedia(spelling)?

Now they've proven that healthy fats (non-heat processed oils like olive, coconut, avocado, grapeseed, even animal fats from pastured livestock) that are used in accordance with their smokepoint guidelines, are actually good for you. The gall bladder needs good fats or it develops stones and becomes diseased. They now think that good fat is needed for a healthy brain and that the lack of it & consistent exercise contributes to Alzheimers and dementia. The increase of these mental diseases sure points to something different in our modern society.

But anyone can say anything - I believe that moderation in anything is the key. I don't think the Keto diet is right for everyone. I also don't think that everyone should be a vegetarian but I do feel both are the right choice for me.

I know that my knees, hips, and feet don't hurt nearly as much as they used to and I hope by the time I've lost all the weight I need to lose, all the pain will be gone. And I know that I never want to be this heavy again. That's why I say that the Keto plan isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle change. That's why I'm willing to think more about what I eat and make better choices to benefit my body. Each body is different and only you know what your body needs. I feel the Keto diet is working for me because of the weight I've lost along with feeling so much better.

I would never presume to tell you how to eat. I was just relating why I didn't end up buying a heavy duty stand mixer! lol (Actually, I used to have a really nice one and it disappeared when we moved into this house! I think my DH took the wrong box to the PTA thrift store donation center when we were packing!)

Anyway, just wanted to clarify why I'm on the Keto diet, not to try to make anyone else follow it.