MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

To chip or not to chip...

The plan is to spay Olivia around the end of April, and I'll ask the vet to remove any retained baby teeth at the same time. (Emma barely lost any of her baby teeth and had double rows...I called her piranha puppy! Olivia seems to be doing a bit better in the tooth losing department, luckily!) When I had Emma spayed, I also had her microchipped. Nine years later, I'm not entirely sure if that's the best decision or not. I've read some articles questioning the health risks of microchipping dogs and cats, and I'm trying to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits. Any input?
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

I don't know what the health risks are. However, I say chip. Here's a story why. My brother-in-law was watching my sister-in-law's dog while she took a trip. He took Buddy's collar off because the tags jingling was driving him nuts. Buddy accidentally got out. He wasn't chipped and didn't have his collar on. Of course my brother-in-law was devastated as it was his fault. He put signs up everywhere and kept putting them up. The story does end well as someone picked up Buddy and 5 months later he was returned. The gentleman that picked him up took him to a vet but he wasn't microchipped. It was a stroke of good luck that someone saw info on Buddy and passed it on to the man who picked him up. But had he been chipped the story would have had a happy ending almost immediately. It was a lot of luck that Buddy made it home. My 3 are chipped as I want every chance of being able to find them. They go so many places with us and it only takes a second for a mishap to occur.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Alex was chipped and so is Charlie.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Morkie4
Donating Member

All 4 of mine are chipped. It's the best chance of getting them back should they get separated from you. I would do it but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

How ironic you pose the question now. Our postal carrier brought a package the other day and was all in a huff because some workmen let her new puppy out after she'd given strict and detailed instructions on what to do with him when they arrived.

I haven't heard if she got him back (a registered Shih Tzu) but he was due to be microchipped at his next vet visit. If he'd already been chipped, she may have found him more easily as she immediately contacted all the rescues, vets, animal control, etc.

Of course all of ours were chipped when we got them as our local rescues do it as a matter of course and we've never had to decide for a puppy. I know there are questions about the chip and only you can decide. Personally, I would hate to lose one of ours and have no option for a quick return. You have to consider what could happen to her if she were lost without the chip.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I'm all for microchipping pets. When you adopt you have no choice, chipping is part of the deal.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

Not one of mine was chipped when I adopted. Krissie came from a show breeder, Buffy from a backyard breeder, Brandy came from a mom and pop rescue, Toby from an individual who was rehoming and Kallie from an individual who purchased her from Pet land (puppy mill dog). So when I adopted, first thing was attend to medical and microchips.