MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Training

Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Girls are pottying as if they were pups

JiJi and JiJa are peeing outside their pads now. Sometimes close to the pads and other times under our kitchen table.
I did think it was due to the new baby and that after they got used to her they will go back to the pads. Nope.
The boys are great and do all of their business outside.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

I'd say if they're acting like puppies, I'd treat them like puppies and start back at the beginning with training. Less freedom and constantly watching them to see when they show signs of needing to "go", then taking them directly to the pad with their "go" command, and lots of praise/treat when successful... Good luck!
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 AM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
JiJi and JiJa are peeing outside their pads now. Sometimes close to the pads and other times under our kitchen table.
I did think it was due to the new baby and that after they got used to her they will go back to the pads. Nope.
The boys are great and do all of their business outside.
HI! Been missing you, alot!

Sorry to hear about the girls regressing. Any food changes? Any chance of something going on with the urinary tract system? Change in pee pad brand? So how old are JiJi and JiJa now? Could it be age related? Any sight issues going on?

Mine went from being totally outside trained to pee pad trained to "pee where I want to." I attribute some of it to their age......14, 13, 13 & 12. And some to eyesight. I have at least 10 pee pads down and they love catching the edge so the pee is half on the pad , on the floor and "under" the pad. They also enjoy marking after each other.

We've just accepted it and try to appreciate that 95% of the time they hit the pads. I'm thinking of buying stock in the pee pad company.