MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 11-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Tough day at the Vets

Poor boys. All 3 had to have a Bordatella update. Tebow and Ollie were due for the Rabies shot. Bentley and Tebow were due for blood work. Poor Tebow had a hot spot he had scratched to infection. So part of his back was shaved, the junk scraped off and antibiotics for 2 weeks. Poor baby. His leg hair has grown back to the point where it's not a bald leg anymore but it is still not as full as his other legs. Now he has a bald spot on his back. Guess Tebow will have a sweater on for his Christmas picture even if it's not cold out.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Boy, when things happen all at once, it can really get ya down! Poor baby. I hope the meds help with the hotspot and the hair grows back fast. Never fails, picture time for Christmas and you have to improvise. You always take great pictures, I'm sure we won't even be able to tell.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Poor Tebow, he has really had a time of woes this year. One thing after another. And then Jack had his share of things. I guess even with mine and the eye problems.......
Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Poor boys. Not fun for them. Why do you have to give the bordatella vaccine ? Charlie was at the vet too for a check up on his teeth (it was free). At the same time I had them draw blood to do titers. They have not called me yet with the results. Will have to call tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Poor boys. Not fun for them. Why do you have to give the bordatella vaccine ? Charlie was at the vet too for a check up on his teeth (it was free). At the same time I had them draw blood to do titers. They have not called me yet with the results. Will have to call tomorrow.
They are around other dogs a lot. Classes don't usually require bordatella but strongly recommend it. If you board your dogs at all in NC, it is required. Rabies shot is also required in NC. Plus, we will do some Canada travel in retirement and it is required to cross the border. The boys will go on almost all of our land travel trips. They will be exposed to lots of dogs (and their germs) on our travels. None of them have ever had a bad reaction from shots thank goodness.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I don't board Charlie and my groomer does not request the bordatella shot. Rabies yes, it's every 3 years here. Bordatella does not cover all the strains. So they can still catch kennel cough. And it is treatable. So I don't care for it. I still remember an article that I read years ago from a lady in Canada. All the kennel cough vaccinated dogs in her boarding facility contracted kennel cough and the dogs who were not vaccinated were fine. She was very surprised.

Vet called and Charlie's titers came back good. No need for vaccination. He is now 7 years old and his last vaccines were at 16 weeks.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Wow, that's great news for Charlie!!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
Wow, that's great news for Charlie!!
yes it is.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

Good for Charlie! I only give the rabies because it is a law in my county. Stopped giving the shots because my kids never come in contact with other dogs or areas where other dogs go.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Good for Charlie! I only give the rabies because it is a law in my county. Stopped giving the shots because my kids never come in contact with other dogs or areas where other dogs go.
The good and the bad of dogs who like to go. They love going places but that means shots. Oh well. We are going so they get shots.