MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Our Maltese Brothers & Sisters

Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Zeus

A couple of weeks ago, we had to say good bye to Zeus. He filled our hearts with so many smiles and love. He made it to his 17th birthday and then some. When you have one so old, you know in your heart, they can go at any time, but it does not make it easy. He was fine one day and so ill the next day. We knew it was time to let him go. We laid him in the tub and gave him a bath and blew him dry. I hand groomed him with scissors. He was in a coma but I know it relaxed him. He whimpered through the night, and I would gently stroke him and he would relax. We arrived at his appointment the next morning. We held him as he crossed the bridge. I whispered run free and be with Rugsy.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Oh my! I am so sorry, it breaks my heart to read you've lost your long time friend/companion. It's never easy but your love and tenderness before saying goodbye touched me deeply.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
JanG
Maltese Authority

It's so hard to lose a baby - I know I still miss CiCi everyday.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
bphslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
It's so hard to lose a baby - I know I still miss CiCi everyday.
I know you do. So nice to see you posting. How is the new addition doing?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

Teddy is doing well but is no CiCi, of course. He's totally bonded with my DH even though I feed him and usually give treats. He's very 'self-contained' and while he will sit with my DH in the recliner sometimes, he spends a lot of time in his crate or on the sofa by himself. Well, that's if DH is home and in the house. If he isn't, then Teddy goes from kitchen door to front door (we have glass storm doors and leave regular doors open) to the window behind the sofa looking for him. He totally ignores me unless it's dinner or snack time. I can't usually pet him & he runs from me if I get his leash. But he does with DH sometimes too. He also has skin problems where he scratches all the time & the vet hasn't been able to offer a solution! I guess he's a typical rescue with baggage!

Anyway, he's not the most favorite dog I've ever had but he's quiet and good most of the time. Very good in the house as far as not making messes though and DH is thrilled that Teddy has bonded with him. All in all, he's a good dog, but like I said, not C.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Teddy is doing well but is no CiCi, of course. He's totally bonded with my DH even though I feed him and usually give treats. He's very 'self-contained' and while he will sit with my DH in the recliner sometimes, he spends a lot of time in his crate or on the sofa by himself. Well, that's if DH is home and in the house. If he isn't, then Teddy goes from kitchen door to front door (we have glass storm doors and leave regular doors open) to the window behind the sofa looking for him. He totally ignores me unless it's dinner or snack time. I can't usually pet him & he runs from me if I get his leash. But he does with DH sometimes too. He also has skin problems where he scratches all the time & the vet hasn't been able to offer a solution! I guess he's a typical rescue with baggage!

Anyway, he's not the most favorite dog I've ever had but he's quiet and good most of the time. Very good in the house as far as not making messes though and DH is thrilled that Teddy has bonded with him. All in all, he's a good dog, but like I said, not C.
Hang in there with Teddy. Hopefully he will continue to become more and more social. Bentley has. He still has his issues but he gives kisses now. He lets you pet him more than he used to. He still has his wig out PTSD moments but he can't help it. He looks so sorry afterwards and then wants to give lots of kisses and snuggles.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
bphslp

Quote:

His previous owner was probably a man. The maltese love me but will let Ben brush, sit in his lap if he wants. Just the opposite with two of the dachshunds. One has separation anxiety when Ben leaves. lol
Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphslp View Post
His previous owner was probably a man. The maltese love me but will let Ben brush, sit in his lap if he wants. Just the opposite with two of the dachshunds. One has separation anxiety when Ben leaves.
lol
LOL. Crazy dogs. I'm number 1 but all 3 vie for the special spot of sitting on the leg part of the recliner with Ron in the evening. I think they like the distance between his legs better than mine. Easier to have plenty of room between his legs and use one leg for a headrest.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #9
JanG
Maltese Authority

I shouldn't be so hard on poor Teddy. He really is a good dog for the most part. I think he bonded with my DH because we got him the day before Thanksgiving last year and I was busy with cooking, etc. DH had to tend to him so think they just bonded then.

He's good company without being demanding and is a great watchdog so who could ask for more?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to say goodbye, but you had an outstanding 17 years with him. All those wonderful memories to fill your heart is a real blessing.