MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Morkie4
Donating Member

Brandy & Pie Dough

Well I think most of you are aware that Brandy has food and atmospheric allergies. So I have been very careful what I feed her for food and treats. So the other night I was making a peanut butter pie with the Pillsbury ready made pie crusts. The hubby had to work at night and left at 9:30. So I had a little raw dough left and Brandy was in the kitchen with me and I tossed her a piece. She smelled it and walked away........no problem! I had flour on my hands at the time and finished my pie, washed my hands and went to pick up the piece of dough but it was gone. Since Brandy snubbed it, I thought one of the other dogs ate it.

Well I got ready for bed and Brandy started to snort and cough/choke. I was trying to figure out what was going on with her never making the connection to to the pie dough. Then it got worse and she was trying to throw up. I'm thinking she has some hair caught in her throat so took her out to get some water. She wouldn't drink and then I saw some foam hanging out of her mouth. Cleaned that and she started again so took her outside and she threw up something with foam again. By now it was almost midnight. She threw up foam 4 or 5 times and in between those moments I Google it and one cause was indigestion. That's when it hit me that she must have eaten that piece of dough and it was not setting well with her. No more throwing up but not breathing right either. Finally hubby comes home and we decided trying to go to bed thinking we could calm her down and if that didn't help, off to the emergency vet we'd go. She would lay for 15 seconds and then move. So she goes to the bottom of the bed and I get up hoping to calm her by petting her. It worked and she finally went to sleep ....... breathing was normal, no coughing or throwing up. Next day she slept a lot but was back to normal.

So boy did I learn a valuable lesson.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Wow. That's scary. Tebow has a sensitive stomach and will throw up but he's never had the breathing issue. You stayed calm. I'd have been freaking out.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Carol don't you know that you should not feed uncooked dough to a dog ? Thankgoodness it was not worse than this but you could have ended up at the emergency room. Yes, you learned a valuable lesson. And any one on this site who does not know this.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Bread dough containing yeast is definitely dangerous to dogs and can lead to bloat. I don't think unbaked pie crust is nearly that dangerous (no yeast, doesn't rise) but definitely could upset a sensitive tummy!
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I would have gone into panic mode and headed right to the emergency vet. You handled it like a trooper!! Glad to hear things are better. Give little Brandy a hug and kiss from me.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #6
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Carol don't you know that you should not feed uncooked dough to a dog ? Thankgoodness it was not worse than this but you could have ended up at the emergency room. Yes, you learned a valuable lesson. And any one on this site who does not know this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Mama View Post
Bread dough containing yeast is definitely dangerous to dogs and can lead to bloat. I don't think unbaked pie crust is nearly that dangerous (no yeast, doesn't rise) but definitely could upset a sensitive tummy!
Believe me when I say, I had no idea about the dangers of bread dough/pie crust to dogs or I would have NEVER tossed a piece to any of my babies........it will never happen again and you can bet your life on that!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #7
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
Wow. That's scary. Tebow has a sensitive stomach and will throw up but he's never had the breathing issue. You stayed calm. I'd have been freaking out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
I would have gone into panic mode and headed right to the emergency vet. You handled it like a trooper!! Glad to hear things are better. Give little Brandy a hug and kiss from me.
Yep, it was definitely scary for her and me. We were very close to going to the emergency vet but I've never been a person to panic, well at least 99% of the time I remain calm and in control.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
JanG
Maltese Authority

Wow, Carol, I'm so glad everything ended up ok. I wouldn't have thought of giving pie dough to the dogs but they do 'vacuum' the floor when I'm cooking so could inadvertently get something that isn't good for them even though I try to pick up anything they shouldn't have immediately.