MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

The joys of technology

Well, it has been a "fun" technology afternoon. Haha. The cable service tech was here at 11 for a scheduled visit. He tweaked a few things. But instead of new cable boxes, he told us to go and buy Rokus and a cable extender to strengthen the signal to the computer room. So guess who is the one to have to figure it all out. UGH. The extender wouldn't load on the self find so it was logging into the internet and doing it the long way. Then trying 5 different locations to pick up the best signal. I then had to go back and update the Roku in the computer room( (on the first go round it didn't load properly due to poor signal strength) and switch it to the extender signal so that it would work properly. I still need to do the one in our bedroom but I am taking a break!
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:26 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Oh good gracious..........but sounds like you have a handle on it!

We shall see.....I never got the bedroom one working. Hubby bought a new "smart" tv for that room and put our old bedroom tv in the computer room. That adds a whole different challenge to it all. Back to working on it in a few minutes. I did get all of the "updates" run for the TV. That was a pain. Had to run 3 different times.

Last edited by Tebow's Mom; 07-08-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Morkie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Well I had to wave the white flag and got our nephew over here to fix the Rokus so the router did not have to be restarted every time to connect!!! Thank goodness for family that knows technology. Nothing is plug and play anymore.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

My goodness this is all too complicated. I don't have cable boxes. For TV we have Dish Network. Our TV in the living room is a Smart TV. We watch Netflix on it. There are other things on it like Hulu but I don't want to pay for them. My internet is from Cox (modem and router). Our bedroom TV is an older TV but I am not going to put Roku on it for the 1 hour my husband watches before going to sleep. Of course Dish has boxes too. We have one for the bedroom and one for the living room. If I watch something on the Smart TV that my husband does not like he goes to watch something else on the other TV.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

With our cable company (Spectrum), you have to pay monthly for each box. That adds up quickly. You can get the Roku express for $24 dollars - pays for itself in 2 months. The only downside to the cheaper Roku is you need to use 2 remotes. The stick Roku (forget what it's called, lets you turn TV on and off and control volume) for just $20 dollars more. That's what we put in the bedroom. Hubby has to have his TV fix in bed before he goes to sleep. Drives me crazy. Most of the time I go to bed after him because when I go to bed I'm ready to fall asleep in about 5 minutes.

We are down to just one cable box. Eventually I think the cable companies will get rid of all cable boxes and sell or rent Rokus or their equivalent. They are especially encouraging household with multiple TVs to go Roku. You don't need spliters to send the signal to various devices and the signal stays stronger. They are working on cloud technology with Roku so you can DVR one channel and watch a different channel. Until the bugs are out of that I will hang on to the box in our main TV room.

Technology just gets more and more involved and everything interrelated to each other. It's hard to keep up with it all.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
With our cable company (Spectrum), you have to pay monthly for each box. That adds up quickly. You can get the Roku express for $24 dollars - pays for itself in 2 months. The only downside to the cheaper Roku is you need to use 2 remotes. The stick Roku (forget what it's called, lets you turn TV on and off and control volume) for just $20 dollars more. That's what we put in the bedroom. Hubby has to have his TV fix in bed before he goes to sleep. Drives me crazy. Most of the time I go to bed after him because when I go to bed I'm ready to fall asleep in about 5 minutes.

We are down to just one cable box. Eventually I think the cable companies will get rid of all cable boxes and sell or rent Rokus or their equivalent. They are especially encouraging household with multiple TVs to go Roku. You don't need spliters to send the signal to various devices and the signal stays stronger. They are working on cloud technology with Roku so you can DVR one channel and watch a different channel. Until the bugs are out of that I will hang on to the box in our main TV room.

Technology just gets more and more involved and everything interrelated to each other. It's hard to keep up with it all.
Cox has TV too but we don't want them. We have a better image with satellite. And I hear from other people that they have problems. Another problem is that if Cox is out you don't have any internet and TV and land line. At least with the satellite we still have TV. It used to be that you did not need boxes with Cox for TV, but they changed to fiber optic and now you need boxes too. I don't think that with Roku alone you are able to receive all the programming from the cable. A lot of people use Roku for streaming. I am not going to stream in the bedroom. We have access to all the programs through the Dish box so no need for Roku really if I don't want to stream. And if I want to stream Netflix in the bedroom I can use my laptop. Oh, we don't have spliters and we can record one channel and watch another. Lol, the box in the living room is DVR but we never record anything.

Last edited by MalteseJane; 07-10-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: for adding something
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Cox has TV too but we don't want them. We have a better image with satellite. And I hear from other people that they have problems. Another problem is that if Cox is out you don't have any internet and TV and land line. At least with the satellite we still have TV. It used to be that you did not need boxes with Cox for TV, but they changed to fiber optic and now you need boxes too. I don't think that with Roku alone you are able to receive all the programming from the cable. A lot of people use Roku for streaming. I am not going to stream in the bedroom. We have access to all the programs through the Dish box so no need for Roku really if I don't want to stream. And if I want to stream Netflix in the bedroom I can use my laptop. Oh, we don't have spliters and we can record one channel and watch another. Lol, the box in the living room is DVR but we never record anything.
There is a spectrum app so we get full cable on all TVs. Downstairs with the cable box we can watch one channel and record another. Satellite is not that great here. You often lose signal when it rains and it rains frequently. Once we were watching the grandkids for several days at their house while Mom and Dad went on a trip. It snowed/sleeted and the dang mess froze in the dish. Hubby had to take a blow drier out to melt it to get TV again. You just can't win. Our cable has 2 different inputs: TV and internet. One can actually go out and the other stay on. We got everything hooked up, our nephew came and tweaked it but we are still having trouble holding the internet signal. The wireless signal is fine but we lose the internet signal and have to reset the router. We have to get the cable company back out. I think we prob need a new modem/router. Ughhh. Technology.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

We have been lucky with satellite even in Houston with all the storms. Here in the Phoenix area it's rarely down. The cable is more down than satellite. Another thing that can affect satellite is if you have a tree blocking the reception at the dish. Happened to us in Houston. Once we cut down the tree, no more problems.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I cannot complain lately with internet reception. But there was a time we had constantly problems. Cox said it was because some people in an area were shooting at the cables and until they were able to put them underground we should expect problems. They even needed protection from the police when making repairs. Of course, nobody believed them until a lady was killed in that area by a stray bullet. Then the autorities closed the area to shooting and they finally could put the cable underground safely. Since then, no more problems.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

We have direct tv and they are now in a deadlock discussion with CBS over money, of course, and we get screwed because CBS has pulled the plug on several cities, including Chicage area, so we can't get anything on CBS. Gee, I wonder if we'll see any kind of discount on our bill, of course we won't.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I cannot complain lately with internet reception. But there was a time we had constantly problems. Cox said it was because some people in an area were shooting at the cables and until they were able to put them underground we should expect problems. They even needed protection from the police when making repairs. Of course, nobody believed them until a lady was killed in that area by a stray bullet. Then the autorities closed the area to shooting and they finally could put the cable underground safely. Since then, no more problems.
That is crazy! Wow! So did you get a break on the bill since you could expect problems - I bet not! Grrrr
Old 07-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

The technology issues continue. We sill have connectivity problems upstairs. Spectrum is no help. They checked there signal and said the signal coming into the house is fine. They checked the router/modem (via telephone support) and said it was fine. I still think there is an intermittent problem with the router/modem as sometimes I will lose the signal even when I am sitting in the same room. The telephone help basically was no help. She said that the extender could be the problem and that maybe an amplifier was needed. However, they would not come and look at the house layout and where we were trying to get a signal as it wasn't Spectrum equipment. Grrrrr. Nor would they suggest any brands or models of amplifiers that could work. Yes, I know our house has a lot of walls, is long and has 2 staircases which makes signal transfers difficult. But the solution of a cable box for every TV upstairs (3) is not a solution either as it is a little over 10 per month for each box and you are splitting the signal.

So our nephew did some research (he has built his own system at his house, including a dedicated movie room) and we have a plan. He is coming tomorrow. We bought a separate modem and router (instead of a combined one). The modem is Motorola which is Spectrum's main router, modem, router/modem. The router is a mesh Google router with 2 satellite receivers for upstairs. I've been reading too and this seems to be the solution for large houses, houses with a lot of walls and multiple staircases. So fingers crossed that this takes care of the issue. I just can't handle resetting the router/modem everyday and if I'm not here, hubby wouldn't have a clue how to do it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Hubby is more addicted to TV than I am. He wanted to put a TV in the upstairs guest room that I just finished redoing. I said No, No Way, Absolutely Not and It's not happening. The room is not used weekly. I won.

I get him wanting a TV in the game room so the guys can watch TV while shooting pool. I even can go with a TV in the upstairs computer/office room so there is more than 1 big TV to watch. He can even have his TV in our bedroom (which I would prefer not to have) but beyond that "NO".
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 AM   #14
Morkie4
Donating Member

We have 4 TVS in our house and we have Spectrum. We only get reception on one!!! If we want to get reception on any of the other TVs, we will have to get cable boxes for each one.
Our home is only 1886 sq. feet and no upstairs and still the only way to get reception is additional cable boxes for each TV. So, Diane, not sure if the size of the house is the issue......Spectrum is the problem. Greed for more money!!!!!!!!

Hubby is looking into Roku that was suggested by a Spectrum employee.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
We have direct tv and they are now in a deadlock discussion with CBS over money, of course, and we get screwed because CBS has pulled the plug on several cities, including Chicage area, so we can't get anything on CBS. Gee, I wonder if we'll see any kind of discount on our bill, of course we won't.
I know, we have Dish and they pulled CBS too. We cannot receive HBO anymore because of deadlocked discussions. I don't know for CBS but we don't pay anymore for HBO, they don't charge it now.