MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Introductions

Old 07-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Gianniís mom
MT Newbie

Housebreaking difficulties

Hello everyone. I am Dee and Gianni is my 4 month old Maltese. I am no stranger to Maltese. I have in the past had 2 maltese. My sweet girl Gina went to the rainbow bridge on Feb 5th, five days before her 16th birthday. I am still missing her so much. My new puppy is Gianni. I have housebroken all my prior dogs without problems. We have a small deck that I use for my dogs. He will do his business outside, but comes in and will go again 3 more times in 15 minutes. He is crate trained and holds all with no problem until morning. He is a very active pup ó will not let me clean his face or groom him. I have bite scars all over my hands. Does anyone have any suggestions.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76F2ED40-E30F-4BB9-8C9C-4C567C1FAE0C.jpg (142.4 KB, 9 views)
Gianniís mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Hello and welcome to Maltesetalk!

Sounds like you have your hands full with Gianni! With the biting during grooming, the best thing would be to get a muzzle but then a muzzle might interfere with the face grooming. Not sure what the solution is to that. I have one that started trying to bite me. I think because of sight problems, so I have very short sessions of grooming which seems to help. She used to fall asleep when I groomed her but again I think it might be fear biting from sight issues.

Potting training is sometimes a longer process than we expect. Perhaps allowing him a longer time outside, varying locations to potty will allow him to empty his bladder completely. Mine were all outside trained but due to family circumstances I had to be awsy for longer periods of time and left them with no option but to do their business inside on pee pads. So now they prefer to go on pads. Not liking it but they are now used to it, older and we've made the decision to just continue with pee pads. Maybe having a pee pad as an option would help the situation.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Gianniís mom
MT Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Muzzle wonít help much. He squirms and wiggles as well. So strong for a 4 pound puppy. My girl Gina who died in February would let me do anything to her. She was 16 and had survived through many problems like a champ, but in the end congestive heart failure ended her life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12035BCB-E924-46E7-9027-BA63A53C2D0C.jpeg (53.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

I've never outside trained a dog - my first Maltese used puppy pads and so does my current puppy. The only thing I know to suggest is to just make him stay outside a little longer to ensure that he's "empty" when he comes back inside! With him being so young, my best advice for the grooming issues would just be to keep trying daily, just a few minutes at a time, and then give him lots of praise and a treat for any progress or success. I also have a small table top grooming table that spins and has a loop on it - something like that might help with the grooming process as well.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Hi and welcome to MT.
Is this your first male?
My Maltese have both been males.
Jack, who is 12 now was a real stinker when we got him at 4 1/2 months.
When we brought him home from the shelter I let him go pee right away on the front lawn. When it came time to pee on the side of the house, which had sidewalk and stones, he wanted nothing to do with it. He wanted the grass only. This went on for one week, and then I had enough of standing in the rain under an umbrella at 2am in the front yard.
I asked the lawn guy if he would put a stretch of sod down over the stones on the side of the house. We would block a very small area off so he would pee on the grass and stones at the same time. We would then take away that section of the grass and we worked his way down to only stones. By that time his pee scent was all over the stones.
He then had no problems of going on grass or stones. So far, he has never had an accident in the house.
Now, I do think males have the capacity to 'hold' their pee so they can mark many areas when going potty. If Jack is out front he has three trees that must get 'watered' every time. Even the back yard, which is all patio and stone has multiple pee zones he visits every time.
We also taught him the 'go pee pee' phrase every time we took him outside. If he did, he got a very small training treat.
Good luck with your little guy. He looks very handsome and I'm sure you'll have many years of wonderful love and laughter together.

As for grooming, we started our Maltese right away with a groomer, so I don't know how to help you in that area.

Last edited by MaxJack'sMom; 07-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
MaxJack'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Gianniís mom
MT Newbie

Thanks for your reply. My first Maltese was male and I also had a male Westie. My female Maltese who just died was a sweet gentle girl who was housebroken by 5 months. Gianni is a terror, doesnít want to be held, snaps at us. We do not take him on grass, but use a small deck. He will go, but will pee again when he comes in. I canít even let him run free in house, I confinehim to kitchen
Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Is he from a breeder or did you rescue him?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Wow, that's surprising behavior from a 5 month old Maltese! Do you have any idea what could have led to it? Was he a rescue? If it were me, I'd look for a trainer and/or puppy obedience classes nearby who could work with you and Gianni to overcome his aggressive behavior. You don't want that to get out of hand as he gets older! That may resolve your potty issues, too, in the long run.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Gianniís mom
MT Newbie

Gianni is from breeder. He is a sweet boy, but hyperactive. I have been combing him daily as best I can under the circumstances and cleaning his face. Hopefully he will get used to it eventually. Wearing a collar or harness with leash is problematic as well. He thinks they are items to play with. The housebreaking seems to be improving though. He loves his little crate and sleeps peacefully all night without accidents. I think the biting is part of his teething and I have been teaching him ďno biteĒ. He learned in 1 day to come and sit (he seems to be very smart) but does not like the word ďnoĒ. Iíll just keep working with him and hope that he turns into my lap dog soon.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

One of my 3 still has to be muzzled for grooming. If you use a muzzle, put it on before you start grooming. Once they are upset it is next to impossible to get the muzzle on. The muzzle helps with the body and legs. The face grooming takes the longest because you can't use a muzzle. Bentley tolerates face grooming better if I sit him up on the granite kitchen counter. I think he is more concerned about slipping off from there and he seems to sit still a little better. My 3 are all outdoor potty trained and they all have to mark several times. Often they actually pee a good amount more than once. You may need to give more time to let him pee. Key words help too. I use "go potty" for peeing and "get busy" for pooping.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Gianniís mom
MT Newbie

Angry

I have been spending at least 20 minutes outside with him. He only goes once. My main concern with the grooming is his face so muzzle wonít help. Iíll just keep at it everyday and hope he cooperates as he gets older.