MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #1
JanG
Maltese Authority

First Grooming

Well, Fiona went to the groomer for the first time (since we've had her) yesterday and the groomer said she did pretty well but had a couple of 'moments'!

It started off a bit bad as Fi did her usual growl and snarl at meeting a new person but warmed up a bit before we left and actually let Barb hold her at the end.

It's obvious she's been professionally groomed before as she loves for me to brush her and doesn't seem to mind having her feet touched or her ears cleaned, etc. However, she doesn't like having her tail touched at all.

So, I was relieved she did as well as she did.

One thing both the vet and Barb said though makes me want to get a dna test for her. Both said she looked a lot like a West Highland Terrier and not as much like a Maltese! Since she was groomed, she looks less like a Maltese but we still love her.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Well, Fiona went to the groomer for the first time (since we've had her) yesterday and the groomer said she did pretty well but had a couple of 'moments'!

It started off a bit bad as Fi did her usual growl and snarl at meeting a new person but warmed up a bit before we left and actually let Barb hold her at the end.

It's obvious she's been professionally groomed before as she loves for me to brush her and doesn't seem to mind having her feet touched or her ears cleaned, etc. However, she doesn't like having her tail touched at all.

So, I was relieved she did as well as she did.

One thing both the vet and Barb said though makes me want to get a dna test for her. Both said she looked a lot like a West Highland Terrier and not as much like a Maltese! Since she was groomed, she looks less like a Maltese but we still love her.
Glad Fiona did ok with the grooming. And we don't care what she is DNA wise - she belongs here. Grooming can make a dog look like a different breed. Back when I was learning to groom Tebow his face came out Westie looking. People had a hard time figuring out what he was until his hair grew out.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

12-2017 - 19 (3).jpg

Do you think he looks like a Maltese with his hair this short ?

Thank goodness it's growing back.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Attachment 31092

Actually, yes, he does in the face and he has those luscious ears!

Here is Fi after her grooming and you can see how different she looks. Of course they had shaved her to the skin at the rescue and all the groomer did was even up everything. I'm sure she'll look even more different when it grows out a bit more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FionaAfterGrooming.jpg (75.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Actually, yes, he does in the face and he has those luscious ears!

Here is Fi after her grooming and you can see how different she looks. Of course they had shaved her to the skin at the rescue and all the groomer did was even up everything. I'm sure she'll look even more different when it grows out a bit more.
I think she still looks like a Maltese. Jan, when we got Brandy, I thought for sure she was part poodle or Bichon because of her body structure and her hair. So NOT Maltese like my others. But they had a sale at Pet Supermarket on DNA test kits so we thought, why not. Well the results came back 100% Maltese. Sort of shocked me cause of the things I mentioned. Vets are like human doctors, some times they "guess" at things.

I'm thinking of cutting Brandy down like Fi.......she is becoming a little more difficult to groom these days. Don't know why........but I have to do her in very short sessions. Use to be she would just lay down and go to sleep but now, she wiggles all over the place, up and down on the grooming table and a real tuff cookie to deal with. So I'm thinking short. The other fluffs are so laid back and will let me do anything and sleep right through it. So guess I shouldn't complain!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Attachment 31092

LOL..........I know he looks sooooooo different!!!!! I think that is the case with most Maltese that you cut down to the bare minimum!!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Westies ears stick up, Fiona's don't. Looks like a Maltese tail. Because everything is cut very short, her face looks like a Westie cut. That is sorta the face cut Tebow got that confused everyone as to what he was.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Jan she looks like a Maltese to me too.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
LOL..........I know he looks sooooooo different!!!!! I think that is the case with most Maltese that you cut down to the bare minimum!!!!

12-2017 - 08 (3).jpg

2018 - 01 - 04 (3).jpg

One picture is before the hair cut and the other one is one month later.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 AM   #10
JanG
Maltese Authority

I posted this pic of her in an another forum I belong to (art, not dog) and one lady who is very into rescue had this to say:

'Jan, in Fiona I can see a dash of shih tzu, a dash of Maltese, a dash of westie ..but mostly a huge dollop of cute'

And we don't really care what breed(s) she is as she's a family member now!

Janine, Charlie is just precious no matter how much fur he has!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

She sure looks like a Maltese to me! Glad to hear that she made it through her first grooming fairly well.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

She looks so Maltese to me!! The ears are definitely not Westie. She is absolutely adorable.