MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Robo Calls

OK My rant for the month. These people who call your cell number trying to sell you stuff or whatever. Every year it just gets worse. My cell is on the do not call list and still the calls come through! There were 4 of them today. I don't talk to them. I just hit end call and of course they never leave a message. It's just such an invasion of privacy. One of their tricks is somehow they route the call so it shows up as from your area code. Sorry dudes - all local is in my phone (vet, doctor, friends) so if a name doesn't come up I'm not talking to you. Sigh. Junk mail doesn't get to me like the calls do. At least with junk mail, it just goes from the mailbox to the recycle bin.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

I'm on the do not call list as well but I still get calls on my home and cell. I reject the calls to my cell and then block that number. On my home phone, I sometimes hit the answer and immediately hit end.........dumb and annoying.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
JanG
Maltese Authority

Since the do not call list is such a bust, you'd think they could come up with something that really works. We just don't answer calls from numbers we don't recognize! If any of you ever call, be sure to leave a message & I'll call you right back!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

If I remember well, you have to renew the "not call" every 3 years. Most calls I get on my land line are scammers. I don't get anything on my cell because the only person who knows my cell number is my daughter and Verizon. My cell phone is not on when we are home. If I don't forget, it will be on when I go shopping. We have it mainly for emergencies. When my husband is driving I will surf Facebook to pass the time.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Since the do not call list is such a bust, you'd think they could come up with something that really works. We just don't answer calls from numbers we don't recognize! If any of you ever call, be sure to leave a message & I'll call you right back!
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
If I remember well, you have to renew the "not call" every 3 years. Most calls I get on my land line are scammers. I don't get anything on my cell because the only person who knows my cell number is my daughter and Verizon. My cell phone is not on when we are home. If I don't forget, it will be on when I go shopping. We have it mainly for emergencies. When my husband is driving I will surf Facebook to pass the time.
You can check if your phone number is still on the do not call list on their website. I guess for those of us whose cell phone is on all of the time we get the automated robo calls (they don't even know who they are calling)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 AM   #6
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

My cell has the caller ID. If it isn't on my call list, it gets blocked until I look at it and decide whether to keep it. It also tells me if they think it's spam.
I get e-mails from the Federal Trade Commission, and I think I just read that you do not have to renew your number. I'll have to re-read it for sure.

Last edited by Tebow's Mom; 03-07-2018 at 02:15 PM.
MaxJack'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
My cell has the caller ID. If it isn't on my call list, it gets blocked until I look at it and decide whether to keep it. It also tells me if they think it's spam.
I get e-mails from the Federal Trade Commission, and I think I just read that you do not have to renew your number. I'll have to re-read it for sure.
I think you may be right about not having to renew on the do not call list. Not sure though. But if you have multiple phones and you aren't sure they are all on it, you can check each number on line. I have caller ID too. I don't get automatic block if its not in my address book but if a name doesn't come up, I don't answer.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I re-read the message from the FTC and you don't need to re-register your phone on the do-not-call list.

Also, the FTC has posted that between April 2017 and April 2018 the new medicare cards will be mailed out to everyone and the social security number will no longer be on there. A special medicare number will be listed instead. You still need to keep that card safe from others, and you are to shred the old card.
They are going out at different times in different states, so you may get yours before your neighbor or vice versa.

Last edited by MaxJack'sMom; 03-07-2018 at 08:53 PM.
MaxJack'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
I re-read the message from the FTC and you don't need to re-register your phone on the do-not-call list.

Also, the FTC has posted that between April 2017 and April 2018 the new medicare cards will be mailed out to everyone and the social security number will no longer be on there. A special medicare number will be listed instead. You still need to keep that card safe from others, and you are to shred the old card.
They are going out at different times in different states, so you may get yours before your neighbor or vice versa.
Thanks for the Medicare info. I'm not there yet so I don't keep up on all of that like I should because my husband is and he for SURE doesn't keep up with any of that.