MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Charlie's dental

Charlie had another dental on the 7th. He is doing pretty good but he lost another 7 teeth. And I lost a bunch of money. $801 and this not even include the blood work that I had done a couple of weeks ago. I filed a claim with PetPlan but they don't reimburse like before. Now I have a 300$ deductible and reimbursement is only 90%.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Ouch! I have all my boys on wellness plans. Tebow and Bentley's are the most expensive since theirs includes dental. Their's is $36 a month. It includes 2 check up per year, all shots, routine lab work, shots and a dental. Ollie's in $26 a month, same benefits minus dental. I can also take the boys in for sick visits at no cost and I just pay for prescription medicine. I do pay for extra services like anal glands but get a discount off regular price. Now when Tebow had leg surgery I had to pay all of it but that's the only time we have had a big vet bill.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Ouch!!!!!! But dental's are a necessity. My vet is very reasonable when it comes to dentals. Most I have ever paid was $300.........that includes the pulling of several teeth, blood work, hair pulled from the hair and nail clipping. So I am not going to complain. Toby has no teeth now so one less dog to do dentals on.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Jack is doing very well so far with dental and keeping his teeth. He hasn't lost any teeth.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 AM   #5
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
Jack is doing very well so far with dental and keeping his teeth. He hasn't lost any teeth.
That is very impressive!!!!! Must be all thar "dragon meat" he eats as a dragon slayer.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #6
JanG
Maltese Authority

Ouch, ouch! With both of ours, the rescue paid for the dental and so far, both dogs are ok with their teeth.

I wondered if pet insurance was a good idea and discussed it with the receptionist at our vet who has always been very honest with us. She said it was pretty useless unless you knew your breed was prone to diseases with expensive medical care and she advised us not to bother. She said a savings account where you could put the amount of the insurance premium each month would probably be just as good for us although I know interest rates are way down.

I do feel for you and Charlie both and hope he's feeling better and back to his old self now.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Ouch, ouch! With both of ours, the rescue paid for the dental and so far, both dogs are ok with their teeth.

I wondered if pet insurance was a good idea and discussed it with the receptionist at our vet who has always been very honest with us. She said it was pretty useless unless you knew your breed was prone to diseases with expensive medical care and she advised us not to bother. She said a savings account where you could put the amount of the insurance premium each month would probably be just as good for us although I know interest rates are way down.

I do feel for you and Charlie both and hope he's feeling better and back to his old self now.
The thing is you never know what can happen. I did not have insurance with Alex. He ended up having surgery on both of his legs. That's a cost of at least 6,000$. Lets say the insurance premium is 500$ a year, it would take 12 years of saving to get to 6,000$. At 10 years old he was diagnosed with a heart murmur. I don't remember how many ultra sounds I paid for at the rate of 500$ each. I just read in a group I am with, a lady spend 11,000$ on her dogs in the last 12 weeks. As I said you never know what can happen and accidents happen. It's not easy to make a choice.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Emma had great teeth and was just getting to the point of needing her first dental right around the time she got sick at almost 9 years old. I'm making a point to brush Olivia's now to get her used to it and to try to delay a dental for many years!

As for the insurance, I've been indecisive. I've heard opinions from one extreme to the other, and I've looked at plans that are very different coverage-wise. The first 8 years of Emma's life, I wouldn't have really used it for anything. In her last month of life, her medical bills were almost $7,000, and if they had been able to stabilize her, we'd still have been looking at a few thousand more for surgery. So...I don't know. At this point, I haven't gotten a plan for Olivia but I'm still researching.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I wish I had gotten insurance with our first Maltese, Max. At 8 months old he started having seizures. We had to take him to the University of Wisconsin-Madison to their veterinary school and have him looked at. We wound of having to have Max on meds his whole life. He had to have leg surgery and then he got spleen cancer, so another surgery. The cancer came back exactly 6 months later, we had to have him in emergency care until we decided the best thing to do was let him go peacefully.
With, Jack, we got insurance right away with the cancer coverage. When Jack started with the sudden allergies at 4 years old and had to see a dermatologist, get tested for food and environmental allergies, I was so happy to have the insurance. He has 17 environmental allergies, gets a shot every 10 days. He had his spine surgery, intensive care, drugs, tests....thank goodness we had the insurance.
I will always get insurance.