MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Morkie4
Donating Member

Kitchenaid Mixer

I bought myself a Kitchenaid 5 Quart Artisan Mixer. LOVE IT! Makes me want to bake more. I used it to make mash potatoes the other night and wowser were they smooth. So nice to just add items without having to stop. I need to get one of the attachments with a scrapper edge so I don't have to use my spatula.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Nice. I just have the hand mixer. I do have an hand immersion blender (1 piece you stick in the pot) that I use all the time to make soups.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
JanG
Maltese Authority

I just have a hand mixer and an immersion blender too. I used to want a heavy duty mixer when I was making bread but am now on the Keto diet and don't eat bread (or potatoes or cake or any other goodies!)

Congratulations! Your family will get lots of wonderful baked goods now!
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I just have a hand mixer and an immersion blender too. I used to want a heavy duty mixer when I was making bread but am now on the Keto diet and don't eat bread (or potatoes or cake or any other goodies!)

Congratulations! Your family will get lots of wonderful baked goods now!
Is the diet temporary or permanent? sounds rough.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
JanG
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
Is the diet temporary or permanent? sounds rough.
It's pretty much a lifestyle change. Since I'm vegetarian, I was eating way too many carbs. It wasn't sugar but all those carbs that convert to sugar in the body (pasta, even whole wheat. bread, etc). I'm not diabetic or anything but just carb sensitive. Anyway, have lost over 40 pounds since mid-October but it is hard because as a vegetarian it's hard to get enough protein without going over the carb and calorie limits especially since soy has to be omitted or severely limited.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
It's pretty much a lifestyle change. Since I'm vegetarian, I was eating way too many carbs. It wasn't sugar but all those carbs that convert to sugar in the body (pasta, even whole wheat. bread, etc). I'm not diabetic or anything but just carb sensitive. Anyway, have lost over 40 pounds since mid-October but it is hard because as a vegetarian it's hard to get enough protein without going over the carb and calorie limits especially since soy has to be omitted or severely limited.
40 pounds since October? Whoa, that's fantastic!

I am very careful with carbs and I love bread, pasta, etc. But they definitely put weight on you and so I limit my bread to when we go out to dinner. Also limit my sugary products for special ocassions. I don't eliminate, just limit those things.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I have a Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer for over 15 years. I love it. I do all the different dough in it. I even bought the pasta and meat grinder for it.

Jan, veggies have carbs too. You can loose as much weight just by eating protein. The thing is that when you stop and go back to a regular diet, you will gain back all you lost and some more. I can do it for a few months, but for the rest of my life ? No way. I want to enjoy what I eat. And only veggies is just not my cup of tea.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
JanG
Maltese Authority

Jan, veggies have carbs too. You can loose as much weight just by eating protein. The thing is that when you stop and go back to a regular diet, you will gain back all you lost and some more. I can do it for a few months, but for the rest of my life ? No way. I want to enjoy what I eat. And only veggies is just not my cup of tea.

I totally understand. But I chose the vegetarian lifestyle a long time ago and I also chose what vegetables I ate based on what was touted as healthy at the time. But, it was some of the carbs in vegetables that got me in food trouble so that's why the Keto diet is a lifestyle change, not just a weight loss gimmick.

I still enjoy food but different foods than what I previously ate. For instance, now I eat mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Instead of wheat flour (which is usually overly processed and, at the least, has been 'improved' to the point where the nutrition isn't what the body really needs any more. Plus, it usually contains lots of mold from storage), I use almond or coconut flours. Instead of the high carb beans and some fruits and vegetables with carbs that the body converts into sugars, I eat low carb, high fiber vegetables and fruits.

As for sugars, it's been proven that they contribute to, and cause growth of, cancer cells. I don't know how true it is but I've read that the sugar industry actually paid for the single most influential study that said it was fat that caused heart disease. The sugar industry was afraid it would become known how bad sugar is for you. Wasn't it you who told us about sugar and Clymedia(spelling)?

Now they've proven that healthy fats (non-heat processed oils like olive, coconut, avocado, grapeseed, even animal fats from pastured livestock) that are used in accordance with their smokepoint guidelines, are actually good for you. The gall bladder needs good fats or it develops stones and becomes diseased. They now think that good fat is needed for a healthy brain and that the lack of it & consistent exercise contributes to Alzheimers and dementia. The increase of these mental diseases sure points to something different in our modern society.

But anyone can say anything - I believe that moderation in anything is the key. I don't think the Keto diet is right for everyone. I also don't think that everyone should be a vegetarian but I do feel both are the right choice for me.

I know that my knees, hips, and feet don't hurt nearly as much as they used to and I hope by the time I've lost all the weight I need to lose, all the pain will be gone. And I know that I never want to be this heavy again. That's why I say that the Keto plan isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle change. That's why I'm willing to think more about what I eat and make better choices to benefit my body. Each body is different and only you know what your body needs. I feel the Keto diet is working for me because of the weight I've lost along with feeling so much better.

I would never presume to tell you how to eat. I was just relating why I didn't end up buying a heavy duty stand mixer! lol (Actually, I used to have a really nice one and it disappeared when we moved into this house! I think my DH took the wrong box to the PTA thrift store donation center when we were packing!)

Anyway, just wanted to clarify why I'm on the Keto diet, not to try to make anyone else follow it.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Jan the one thing you said is that you feel so much better. That is what everyone needs to strive for. Everyone's body processes food differently. What affects one person doesn't bother another, It sure is a challenge to figure out what is best for you. For me the big change has been to go organic/non-processed. I manage to pull it off 80-90% of the time. I's still working on changes.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
For me the big change has been to go organic/non-processed. I manage to pull it off 80-90% of the time. I's still working on changes.
Me too! I'm not one for drastic changes as I doubt that I'd stick with it long term (unless I had a serious health condition that required it). I try to make sensible choices and pay attention to portion size, but every now and then, I'm going to eat the bacon...or the cupcake! I do try to buy organic whenever possible and minimize the amount of processed foods that I eat. Some ways are easy, like making your own taco seasoning, Ranch mix, etc...it's scary what they sometimes add in to those little packets!
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Mama View Post
Me too! I'm not one for drastic changes as I doubt that I'd stick with it long term (unless I had a serious health condition that required it). I try to make sensible choices and pay attention to portion size, but every now and then, I'm going to eat the bacon...or the cupcake! I do try to buy organic whenever possible and minimize the amount of processed foods that I eat. Some ways are easy, like making your own taco seasoning, Ranch mix, etc...it's scary what they sometimes add in to those little packets!

yep those seasoning packets are scary. When you can't pronounce half of the ingredients..... After multiple tries I have a taco seasoning combo I like. I knew I had it when the kids came in the house and said it smells like tacos. What is your ranch mix recipe? I love ranch.

I want to start making some breads. My hand mixer has a dough hook. I'm hoping that is sufficient to do the job. We don't eat that much bread. Even when I make quiche, I make crustless. (I'm eating a leftover piece of last night's dinner of cheesburger quiche right now).
Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

[QUOTE=Tebow's Mom;357286]yep those seasoning packets are scary. When you can't pronounce half of the ingredients.....

When you start reading the ingredients in some stuff it's scary. I put it right back on the shelf. Everything that has sugar in it, if it's not dessert, I don't buy.
I cook from scratch, so we are not eating much of processed food. I even make my own pizza. I make my own seasoning and salad dressing, my own mayonnaise. When I do a pie or quiche, I make my own crust. You won't find ketchup in my fridge. I buy bread at Kroger/Fry's that is made the same way as french bread, flour, water and yeast. I have tried to make bread myself but am not good at it. I use mostly olive oil (canola no GMO for frying) and butter for cooking. I try to buy organic when ever I can. We have now a Farmer's market coming to the community every week. I get my eggs from them now. They also sell raw milk, but it's too much for the 2 of us, they only sell by the gallon.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
Morkie4
Donating Member

Speaking of lifestyle eating changes.........in 1995 our youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes. Talk about changes in your eating habits....... we ate completely different, much healthier. It wasn't really a choice, it was a necessity.

HOWEVER, when he left home, the hubby and I started eating things we should not. So while we eat healthy most of the tkme, we just can't ignore a good, warm piece of bread or deep fried chicken wings or pina colada cake or lasagna or, or, or, or.......well you get the picture.

My mother has always eaten junk, drinks a Coke or two everyday, hersey kisses, cupcakes, caramels......she is 92 1/2 years old! Figure that out!
Old 02-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Carol - I make lasagna with all organic ingredients. Hehe - so more or less healthy.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
What is your ranch mix recipe? I love ranch.
1/2 cup powdered buttermilk
1 T dried parsley
2 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp dried chives
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote