MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 02-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Alana
Maltese Authority

Dental for Vincent

Been a long time! Thought it was time for a update on Vincent. Had a dental yesterday. He lost 11 teeth! I feel like such a horrible mom. He did have his first dental a year ago and everything was fine I was told. But..... my vet is nearing 80 and is slipping abit. Recently it was obvious Vincent had at least 1 bad tooth. Smell was bad. My groomer who I trust explicitly offered to take him to her vet who is 1 1/2 hours away, a clinic who helps the rescues out and is very good. She had to make a appointment for her cat and ...... I checked online and good reviews. So I let her take Vincent and his new sister, (another thread to introduce Katie) and 11 teeth gone. He is doing good, just had his pain pill. I feel so bad for him. I couldn't take him, just getting over pneumonia myself, so the three of us are home resting and snuggling. ..
Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

Sometimes it is a genetic problem when they lose teeth but at least you stay on top of it and take care when teeth need to be removed. That's really about all you can do. Glad it went well ......... hope you get to feeling better soon!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I am always suspicious of vets that say everything is good and one year later the dog has a bunch of teeth pulled. Now having said that, don't worry your dog will be fine and probably feel better. He might even eat more because of no pain. My dog does has only a few teeth left and I grind his meat in the food processor and the veggies in the Vitamix and mix everything together. But he still is able to eat very small pieces of meat that we feed him from the table.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Alana
Maltese Authority

Sadly I have decided it's time to get a new vet. I have gone to my vet for many years. It hurts me to have to make this decision. But my pups well being has to come first.
They are both doing great!! Obvious they feel better, happy this is over and Vincent is laying on my lap now resting and enjoying his mama.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
2Malts4Me
Donating MT 500 Club Member

So glad to hear that your pups are doing great! I hope you are too.
2Malts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Alana
Maltese Authority

It is amazing how fast these little ones can go thru something so traumatic and painful and bounce back! Vincent did have a few days where he was uncomfortable, but a week later he is playing with his toys and enjoying himself again, Katie from day one was fine with it, but then again this is her 3rd time. Poor girl has known a lot of discomfort in her life, hopefully now she is pain free and wil,remain so for a long time.
As for me, wow I feel pretty good. Got my appetite back! Still love my orange juice and peaches! And today I did my taxes so pretty happy! !