MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #91
Lucas Mama
Donating MT 1,000 Club Member

Ok So I need some ideas ladies!!! PLEASE PLEASE! In Christmas Eve Andrew's family are making deserts competition!! I have not idea what I am gonna do! I've a Martha Stewart book that I have never used But I don't know!! This is the first time we are making it! So I am really excited! Andrew's boss is a desert chef! I guess she's gonna help him! I need help!!! Thanks
Lucas Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #92
Zuly4034
Donating MT 2,000 Club Member

Ok here is one that I like. Charlota or in English lol Charlotte.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68284_466632610492_511275492_6210545_917677_n.jpg (61.6 KB, 7 views)
Zuly4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #93
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuly4034 View Post
Oh that looks so gooood & colorful too, always a plus in my book!
Daisy517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #94
Lucas Mama
Donating MT 1,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuly4034 View Post
That looks SOOOO Yummy Zuly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What it is??? I have never eaten that... but sure looks delicious! I hope it has some lecherita
Lucas Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #95
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Girly you need to show them Mexican pride.

Here's an easy recipe for flan. It might not be colorful nor extravagant looking but sheesh it taste delicious.

Ingredients:

half a bag of sugar
4 cans of evaporated milk
4 cans of lecheras
12 eggs

For every four eggs blend one can of each ingredient

Oven should be around 380 or 400 degrees.

Pour the batter into a fair size mold and put that mold into a bigger mold that is filled with water. Cover with aluminum. Check after 20 min. Normally my oven is 30 min.

What your going to do with the sugar is melt it and pour it on top of the made flan after you flip it to a nice plate.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #96
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

What are lecheras Jessica

I love flan. Always bought them boxed because we don't have them often for dessert, but I will try out your recipe. I may have some Mexican pride in me, somewhere
Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #97
anphelps
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy517 View Post
What are lecheras Jessica
Lechera is like a sweetened evaporated milk. I think I've seen it as a namebrand, but I've heard my abuela toss that word around when she cooks, even though I don't think she uses it in her flan recipe. She uses Carnation milk and a couple of other stuff. I'll have to post the Puerto Rican version of flan so that y'all can make it! Mexican flan and PR flan can be very different, but yeah - it's easy to make and delicious.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #98
anphelps
Donating Maltese Expert

Tuna Casserole

Also, I made dinner tonight and thought I'd share the recipe for it. I've not met a person yet that likes tuna casserole and hasn't raved for this recipe. I kinda invented it myself. Prep time is about 15-20 minutes, cooking time is 30-40 minutes or until the cheese on top boils and the bread crumbs are browned to your desire.

Ingredients
- 1 bag ( 16 oz) egg noodles, dumpling size
- 2 large (12 oz) cans tuna fish, preferred style (I personally use solid white albacore in water)
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of mushroom
- 1 pound block Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter
- plain breadcrumbs (as needed - buy a whole container, it's handy to have around. Progresso makes good breadcrumbs)

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 325-degrees Fahrenheit. Boil egg noodles as instructed in a large pot. Ten minutes should be plenty - you don't want them too soft. Strain, do not rinse, and return to pot. Grate cheese using a grater. Set aside. Feel free to snack on it if desired.

Strain both cans of tuna fish, removing as much water/oil as possible. Shred into smaller pieces and place in a separate medium-sized pot. Add cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, milk, 1/4 cup butter, peas, and as much cheese as desired to the tuna fish pot. Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil, then cook while stirring for five minutes or until the cheese melts. You don't have to stir the entire time, but enough so that the bottom of the mixture doesn't burn on you. This tuna casserole "mix" will be very thick. Also, you can do the tuna casserole "mix" at the same time as you boil the noodles if you want to save on time.

Combine tuna casserole "mix" into noodles. Stir gently as to avoid tearing your fragile noodle friends, and pour into a large casserole pan or baking dish. Cover the top with as much grated cheese as desired. This entire dish does not provide much health benefit so you might as well go all out. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt about 1/8 cup butter (half of your remaining stick). Mix roughly one cup of breadcrumbs into the melted butter - I usually go by handfuls, and I use about 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs per quarter stick (1/8 cup) of butter. Mix using a fork until the breadcrumbs absorb all the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Repeat if desired.

Place in heated oven, uncovered. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. If you're using a glass casserole dish, you'll know it's done when you can see the tuna casserole boiling through the glass. If not, then just make sure the breadcrumbs are browned and the cheese on top is bubbling. There aren't any raw ingredients in this recipe - you're just basically just putting it in the oven to heat it up.

This recipe provides about 12 to 16 servings, or unless you're a pig like me, 8 large portions.

Crappy webcam photo attached. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image325.jpg (16.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #99
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anphelps View Post
Also, I made dinner tonight and thought I'd share the recipe for it. I've not met a person yet that likes tuna casserole and hasn't raved for this recipe. I kinda invented it myself.

This recipe provides about 12 to 16 servings, or unless you're a pig like me, 8 large portions.

Crappy webcam photo attached. Enjoy!
Love your passion to cook. I'm a foodie enthusiast myself! I too make more servings than anyone can eat LOL. Thanks for the detailed instructions and photo to follow. I will consider your recipe the next time I make a casserole dish. At least I know your not one of those who cut & paste a recipe without even making it!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #100
anphelps
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
At least I know your not one of those who cut & paste a recipe without even making it!
Oh my god, never! I love cooking and baking so much that I tell people if it weren't for my passion for medicine I'd be a pātissier with my own bakery. Like Buddy Valastro from Cake Boss, but a girl, and much shorter, and not Italian.

I've always wanted to try doing blown sugar ornaments to decorate cupcakes. Debating whether or not it'd be worth the potential third-degree burns to do it this holiday season XD. I'm saying "no" for now, but who knows? By this time next year I might have some new skillz to show off!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #101
JiJi's Mom

Daisy is this one:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/2565.html

you can buy it at any grocery store where the condense milk/evaporated milk is at. If you want the american version go for it but I need my lechera

And umm Angel where's the PR recipe.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #102
anphelps
Donating Maltese Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
And umm Angel where's the PR recipe.
LOL! I see my abuela tomorrow afternoon (hopefully). The recipe is in her cookbook along with the other 50-or-so recipes that she wrote out. I haven't forgotten about 'em!!

But once I do get that cookbook, I might have to just make a dedicated thread for those recipes so I don't unintentionally hijack the thread with Boricua power.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #103
Daisy517
No Longer a Member

Okay so I went grocery shopping again and went down the Mexican aisle this time and still didn't find lecheritas Did I spell it right?

Is it like another way of saying condense milk? Soo clueless here girls
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #104
JiJi's Mom

Quote:
Okay so I went grocery shopping again and went down the Mexican aisle this time and still didn't find lecheritas Did I spell it right?

Is it like another way of saying condense milk? Soo clueless here girls
Above Angels post is a link on how it looks like. No it's not in the Mex section is in the regular condense milk section.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #105
Zuly4034
Donating MT 2,000 Club Member

I'm going to post the recipe later for the Charlota since is in Spanish but its really easy to make and its a plus with a cup of milk. Now I'm hungry.
Zuly4034 is offline   Reply With Quote