MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Snowbirds again this year

My husband and I went to AZ and CA again for the winter. Two months in AZ and one month in CA.
I now have 71 doggie friends in our AZ neighborhood and 1 mini-macaw that comes to visit me. I have lots of mommy and daddy friends, now it's not so boring.
The most horrible thing to happen while in AZ happened on St. Pat's Day.
I got a frantic phone call from my d-i-l, crying hysterically. My son had a heart attack (only 39 yrs old)! He was in the hospital and going into surgery. They were in Austin, Texas for a close friend's baby shower.
Luckily, they were staying at her house and had just been to the shower and were back at her house with a lot of people afterwards.
(The day before he said he walked all over Austin for about 3 hours, no problem.)
Back at the house he felt really tired, so he told them he was going upstairs to lay down.
He said he felt sick, maybe had to throw up (had been drinking), but nothing.
Then his tongue started to swell and he couldn't breath. He was trying to get up from the bed and that's when he got the pain in his chest, his arm and up into his jaw. He couldn't yell or scream and he had to drag himself to the stairs, otherwise he would have probably died up in the bedroom and no one would have known.
He got to the stairs and his wife just happened to look up and saw him slump down to the floor. Their friend is a nurse and she got an aspirin into him and called 9-1-1. The hospital was only blocks away and they had him in surgery immediately. He had a 100% blockage in an artery that only 20% of the population are born with. It is located next to the widow maker artery. They put one stent in and saved his life.
My son goes every year for a stress test and check-ups. The doctors said this artery is so rare that they never look to test it, because it doesn't show up when testing.
They stayed at their friends house till they could rent a car and my d-i-l had to drive all the way back to IL.
He is in rehab now and working again.

I do believe in miracles. He was not planning on going to TX for the shower. He was going to stay home with the dogs, but then he saw where a lot of the husbands were going, so he got a ticket too.
If he had been home alone with dogs, I do believe that he would have died in the house all alone.

My husband was a total wreck, I had to keep it together when I told him what happened. My husband has had heart attacks, open heart surgery, stents, the whole bit. He was screaming in the back yard at God and telling him to take him, not his son.
I had to call his cousin to come over and calm him down. Then I went in the bathroom and let it all out.

Live each day with love. Tell your family that they are loved. Tell your friends how much you love them. Each second is precious and can be gone in a heart beat.

I love all my MT family friends and their pets. You are like family. Please take good care of yourselves and tell your family members to do the same.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Oh wow. What a scary experience. I'm so glad it all worked out for the best...right place, right people around. Silent diseases are so scary. It's hard to do preventive when you don't know there is anything wrong. Sounds like that artery is a second widow maker artery. You are right - make the most of every day.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Pretty scary situation for your son and as a motber, I understand how helpless and horrified you must have been. They are always our "kid" no matter how old they are. Glad they were able to get him to the hospital quickly.

And yes every day is precious, very precious and we all need to remember we are not promised romorrow.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

The Ramus intermedius artery is a variant coronary artery resulting from trifurcation of the left main coronary artery.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Oh my gosh Cheryl, this is so scary. At his age you don't expect something like this. Glad he made it.