MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Morkie4
Donating Member

Unhappy Poor Brandy

Well.......it's not life threatening, thank goodness but she is in pain. Woke up Thursday to her limping and wailing in pain. Off to the vet we went. Nothing broken but suspects she may have, at some point, dislocated or badly sprained her right front leg but really couldn't find anything wrong. Gave her a strong anti-inflammatory and told to keep her immobile, off that leg. Of course the medicine was going to increase her thirst and increase her need to potty. So I took first watch and I pet her until she fell asleep. When she woke, i carried her to potty and then to get water and then back to her bed to be pet back asleep. Every two hours through the night but so worth it to keep her off that leg to heal. Next day, same thing and she seemed better. Then towards night, she seemed to be in some pain but just tried to comfort her. Hubby took Friday night watch and he was up every two hours with her doing potty, water and petting. Then she slept solid for the next 8 hours. No yelping, respiration normal but still not letting her "walk" on that leg. Hoping she will heal quickly.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

She must have hurt herself badly. Charlie came down with something like this a few weeks ago also on one of the front legs. Was slowly walking around with a hunched back, sometimes not putting his leg completely down. Went to the vet and due to the hunched back she thought that his anal glands were full and she emptied them and gave Metacam for the pain. I gave him the Metacam for 3 days and then he was fine again.
You know I have stairs for him to go up the bed and couch thinking it is safer than if he jumps. But not so sure anymore. I think he hurt himself on one of the stairs. In the last few months he wants to be picked up most of the time to get on the bed. He is always in a hurry to go down the stairs on the couch because he has seen or heard something.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
She must have hurt herself badly. Charlie came down with something like this a few weeks ago also on one of the front legs. Was slowly walking around with a hunched back, sometimes not putting his leg completely down. Went to the vet and due to the hunched back she thought that his anal glands were full and she emptied them and gave Metacam for the pain. I gave him the Metacam for 3 days and then he was fine again.
You know I have stairs for him to go up the bed and couch thinking it is safer than if he jumps. But not so sure anymore. I think he hurt himself on one of the stairs. In the last few months he wants to be picked up most of the time to get on the bed. He is always in a hurry to go down the stairs on the couch because he has seen or heard something.
Poor Charlie, hate seeing them hurt and in pain. Glad his recovery time was short.

I had stairs for Toby and he used them. Once in a while he would limp but get better within hours. So I'm not sure about the benefits of stairs myself. The girls would never use them.

Brandy is better but just not herself. She is not yelping in pain and is walking on the leg....but just not herself. Her eyesight has really diminished and only sees shadows so we are careful not to make quick moves towards her and touch her softly when we pick her up. A friend had her poodle go blind and it never ran into things and was able to navigate but Brandy bumps into things. It's such a sad thing watching my girl struggle with old age problems. But as long as she is not in pain and suffering, we will continue to love and help her through these rough spots.

Thanks for your response and unput. Hope Charlie is doing well.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
2Malts4Me
Donating MT 500 Club Member

Oh no, so sorry to hear this about Brandy and Charlie, but glad both are doing better now.

My Poochie is nearly blind too Carol but he does very well getting around the house.
2Malts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Malts4Me View Post
Oh no, so sorry to hear this about Brandy and Charlie, but glad both are doing better now.

My Poochie is nearly blind too Carol but he does very well getting around the house.
Poor Poochie but glad he can get around. ........just don't understand why Brandy is having such a difficult time navigating.