MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Post Cataract Surgery day 1

Post cataract surgery day 1. Amazing!! The procedure was a piece of cake. No pain at all. It was actually very interesting. I think I should have been an ophthalmologist. LOL. The only down side to the surgery was getting the IV in. I'm a "hard stick". It took 2 nurses and 3 tries. OUCH. Typical for me. I'm also a "cheap date". The anesthesia is the type that does not put you totally out. After the procedure we went out to brunch. I had 3 cups of coffee thinking that would keep me awake for the rest of the day as caffeine st night will keep me up all night. Nope. By the time we got home, it was all I could do to climb into bed. I slept all afternoon, dozed off and on on the couch during the evening, went to bed at 11:30 and didn't get up until 10:30. My vision after surgery was 20/30 and may continue to improve over the next week. Eye dilatation drops just really mess with what I see. I can really see now. The leaves of the trees have definition. Edges of things are sharp instead of blurry. I'm seeing better now without glasses that I was ever seeing with glasses. I don't remember ever seeing this good. Now of course my up close vision in my right eye is the pits, but I'll take having to wear readers any day for the distance vision clarity.
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Glad you are happy with your surgery. Isn't there a procedure where you don't need reading glasses afterward ?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
Morkie4
Donating Member

Well glad the surgery went well. Amazing what can be done these days, isn't it?
I know all about a "hard stick" issue.....a couple of weeks ago I had to have some blood work. Told the first girl, I was a hard stick and she said she would try at last once. Used a butterfly needle and of course she missed her first try. Second girl comes in and I tell her I'm a hard stick and she said, which arm did the other girl use and do you have one arm better than the other. I said my right and neither arm is an easy stick. Well she went for the left and again a miss. So they brought their best in. She had absolutely no bedside manners and was cocky. Told her I was a hard stick and she tells me she has been doing it for 26 years. So she put the needle in and missed but by pulling it and moving it around IN MY ARM, she connected. On the last tube, she moved the needle and the blood stop flowing......she move it again, the blood flowed but shortly after she pulled the needle out my arm in that area began to swell. She blew my vein. I was told to ice it. And yep, I bruised!!!! UGH, had blood draws!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Every time I have to have blood taken it's bad. They ask me "what arm is best" and I say "none". A lot of times they draw the blood from my hands and even then it is sooooooo slow. Last time they did it on my wrist. When I was in the hospital for my hip replacement in 2006 it was a nightmare. They tried for 2 hours to find a vein. At the end they went to get some one from the emergency room to try. Some nurses are better than others. My gynecologist was fantastic. His nurse would try one time and then go and get him. I don't give blood because of it.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Well glad the surgery went well. Amazing what can be done these days, isn't it?
I know all about a "hard stick" issue.....a couple of weeks ago I had to have some blood work. Told the first girl, I was a hard stick and she said she would try at last once. Used a butterfly needle and of course she missed her first try. Second girl comes in and I tell her I'm a hard stick and she said, which arm did the other girl use and do you have one arm better than the other. I said my right and neither arm is an easy stick. Well she went for the left and again a miss. So they brought their best in. She had absolutely no bedside manners and was cocky. Told her I was a hard stick and she tells me she has been doing it for 26 years. So she put the needle in and missed but by pulling it and moving it around IN MY ARM, she connected. On the last tube, she moved the needle and the blood stop flowing......she move it again, the blood flowed but shortly after she pulled the needle out my arm in that area began to swell. She blew my vein. I was told to ice it. And yep, I bruised!!!! UGH, had blood draws!!!!!!!!
owie owie owie. feel your pain. I have to have blood checks every 3 months due to hypothyroidism and high cholesterol. I bruise most of the times too. When I just have to have a blood draw, I drink a ton of water prior and that does help some. But with anesthesia, that wasn't an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Every time I have to have blood taken it's bad. They ask me "what arm is best" and I say "none". A lot of times they draw the blood from my hands and even then it is sooooooo slow. Last time they did it on my wrist. When I was in the hospital for my hip replacement in 2006 it was a nightmare. They tried for 2 hours to find a vein. At the end they went to get some one from the emergency room to try. Some nurses are better than others. My gynecologist was fantastic. His nurse would try one time and then go and get him. I don't give blood because of it.
I actually had a nurse tell me a long time ago "honey don't ever try to give blood". Believe me I don't. I've had where they couldn't get enough blood for the test tube with the first stick and had to have a second stick.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Glad you are happy with your surgery. Isn't there a procedure where you don't need reading glasses afterward ?
There is. However, my ophthalmologist didn't recommend that for me. My eyesight in my right eye has ALWAYS been terrible. (I'm thinking close to legally blind terrible).I've worn glasses since 3rd grade. Thick old lenses for the right eye. So due to the length of time I've had that kind of vision and the significant astigmatism, the toric lens was recommended. Dr. didn't think my right eye would be capable of learning the new patterns of the other lens and my distance vision would not be as good as it would be with the lens I got. Being able to see clearly at a distance and having things I'm looking at have sharp definition lines is amazing. This is the best astigmatism correction I've ever had. For the sharpness and clarity I've gained, reading glasses is just fine by me.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

I continue to be amazed at my clarity of vision. Today I watched my grandson's hockey game without any glasses! And I saw better than I've seen in the past few years with glasses on.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Looks like my right eye has stabilized at 20/25. Wow. My left eye is scheduled for Aug. (Wanted some summer time free time fun). But can't wait for the other eye to be fixed. It is amazing to be able to drive without glasses!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:39 AM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
Looks like my right eye has stabilized at 20/25. Wow. My left eye is scheduled for Aug. (Wanted some summer time free time fun). But can't wait for the other eye to be fixed. It is amazing to be able to drive without glasses!
Glad to hear you've had such good results from the surgery. I will get mine taken care of when I go on medicare. My private insurance sucks!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Glad to hear you've had such good results from the surgery. I will get mine taken care of when I go on medicare. My private insurance sucks!!!!!!
I hear ya on that. My private insurance is good but it was still expensive. A friend on medicare cost a lot less (same doctor as mine just 2 weeks later). However, I couldn't wait 2 more years so we have to just suck it up. When you won't be able to pass the driving vision test it is a must do. I sure am loving the results though.