MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

To dye or not to dye

Well, I've decided that I'm tired of dying my hair. I've been doing it since I was 40. It started with be doing it myself about every 3 months but has gone to professional dye every 8 week to professional dye every 6 week and not looking good at the end. It's been 8 weeks since my last dye and the growing out roots are not too cool. The status of latest dye results is the first week the roots look too dark, the second week is wonderful, the 3rd week the roots start to show.and the 4th week I'm looking how to hide roots. My guy has increased his price and I'm not willing to shell out $100.00 every 3-4 weeks to have 1 week per month of great looking hair. Not to mention I'm not cool with that amount of chemicals being put on my head. (I'm going more and more green in my life.) My current plan is pushing it all back with a headband and then making a ponytail. hat' s not bad as it doesn't draw attention but I HATE things (i.e. headbands, clips, hats on my head). I would do this until Sept or Oct and then do a short cut, but it seems like a long time getting there. I honestly don't even know what my real color looks like. i know there is gray, silver, white and salt and pepper in there. I feel like I'm too young for this but at the same time I feel there is too much focus on "dye forever and don't show gray". It's scary but I'm going to push through to see the final results. If I hate it I guess I can always go back to dyeing it. Anyone else got fed up with dying their hair?
Tebow's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Morkie4
Donating Member

I've never used permanent dye on my hair. I use Natural Instincts that lasts for about 24 washes and slowly fades with each wash. I really like it because there are no roots to show since it all fades at the same rate. I really don't have to wash my hair more than 3 times a week (of course if I work outside in the yard, I have to wash it) and so it lasts for a good bit. I leave it on less time than is required(suggested 15-20 minutes) and just switched to another color. My hair has gray but not as much as I had expected at 69.....my hair was a very dark brown when I was younger but I tried a dark brown and YIKES, I didn't like it at all so went for a light brown. The last time I did my hair, it came out exactly as I wanted it to, a soft light, brown and it covered all the gray. Maybe you should give it a try.....I do it at home in my garage sink cause it will stain grout so I make sure it is all rinsed out and then take a shower and use the conditioner that comes with it. Give it a go!!!!!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

I don't dye my hair anymore. Too much work to do it myself and too expensive to have it done. Two years ago I asked my hairdresser of the time what she thinks about me coloring my hair again. She said it would be a shame to color it, my grey hair is beautiful and a lot of people would pay for a color like this.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I don't dye my hair anymore. Too much work to do it myself and too expensive to have it done. Two years ago I asked my hairdresser of the time what she thinks about me coloring my hair again. She said it would be a shame to color it, my grey hair is beautiful and a lot of people would pay for a color like this.
I'm hoping mine ends up that way. I will say the new non-dyed growth is so much softer than the dyed part. And some thin spots seem to be thickening up. I'm just jealous of a friend who is 4 years older than me and has beautiful black hair without one single gray hair. Oh well. Sigh. (And she happens to be my grandkids other grandma. Just hope my grandkids don't start thinking their Nana is really really old. LOL)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
I've never used permanent dye on my hair. I use Natural Instincts that lasts for about 24 washes and slowly fades with each wash. I really like it because there are no roots to show since it all fades at the same rate. I really don't have to wash my hair more than 3 times a week (of course if I work outside in the yard, I have to wash it) and so it lasts for a good bit. I leave it on less time than is required(suggested 15-20 minutes) and just switched to another color. My hair has gray but not as much as I had expected at 69.....my hair was a very dark brown when I was younger but I tried a dark brown and YIKES, I didn't like it at all so went for a light brown. The last time I did my hair, it came out exactly as I wanted it to, a soft light, brown and it covered all the gray. Maybe you should give it a try.....I do it at home in my garage sink cause it will stain grout so I make sure it is all rinsed out and then take a shower and use the conditioner that comes with it. Give it a go!!!!!
That's great that works for you. (No fair - I'm younger than you. ) Don't think it would work for me. Last time I asked how much gray the stylist thought I had about 80%. Even with professional color, the color has to be left on a long time (45 min) as my gray is very resistant. I know what you mean about the dark colors. My hair was a very, very dark brown (almost black) when I was young. I had to switch to a lighter color a long time ago. The really dark hair really ages you. So for now, I guess I'll just suck it up and see what happens. Luckily it is summer so a headband and ponytail work and disguises that demarcation line. My Mom still had some dark hair (mixed with gray) into her 80s. One grandmother, I don't remember her hair being anything other than snow white. I think I'm somewhere between those 2.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow's Mom View Post
That's great that works for you. (No fair - I'm younger than you. ) Don't think it would work for me. Last time I asked how much gray the stylist thought I had about 80%. Even with professional color, the color has to be left on a long time (45 min) as my gray is very resistant. I know what you mean about the dark colors. My hair was a very, very dark brown (almost black) when I was young. I had to switch to a lighter color a long time ago. The really dark hair really ages you. So for now, I guess I'll just suck it up and see what happens. Luckily it is summer so a headband and ponytail work and disguises that demarcation line. My Mom still had some dark hair (mixed with gray) into her 80s. One grandmother, I don't remember her hair being anything other than snow white. I think I'm somewhere between those 2.
My natural hair color was also dark brown and almost black. That color would not fit my complexion anymore. I have a medium brown wig and frankly the color does not look good anymore. My gray is mostly in the front, sides and top and then blends in with the back who is a lot darker.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

update.....I'd been having a lot of hair fall out when I washed my hair. That has significantly decreased. I also see more new hair growth in the areas that were getting sparse. So I guess that is a clincher - I'd rather be gray than "bald". Still a little hard to take as I feel I'm too young to be gray, but......I guessed I've earned every one of those gray hairs. I know that hypothyroid medications can cause hair loss too so between that and the dye I guess it was just too much.

Last edited by Tebow's Mom; 06-27-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #8
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
If I was 80% gray, I'd suck it up and go with the gray!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 AM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

Quote:
update.....I'd been having a lot of hair fall out when I washed my hair. That has significantly decreased. I also see more new hair growth in the areas that were getting sparse. So I guess that is a clincher - I'd rather be gray than "bald". Still a little hard to take as I feel I'm too young to be gray, but......I guessed I've earned every one of those gray hairs. I know that hypothyroid medications can cause hair loss too so between that and the dye I guess it was just too much.
Oh my goodness!!!!! I've been on synthroid (name brand) for over 22 years. My doctor always had to put on the script "medically necessary" in order for me to receive the brand, synthroid. The new doctor failed to do that and I was given L-thyroxine instead. I was on it for a year and at about 8 months into it, I started to notice a considerable amount of hair loss (just old age). Then I noticed my skin was really dry, really dry (just old age). My nails were breaking AND splitting constantly (just old age). So my last trip to the doctor, my blood pressure was up and I knew it from taking it at home that it had now become a problem (just old age). I've also been moody and very fatigued and having trouble with sleeping (just old age).

Did some research on the Internet and it was very revealing. Several sites indicated that sometimes a change from the brand name product of synthroid can cause ALL the problems I just mentioned to occur. I was very surprised about the blood pressure being caused by the medicine change, a real shocker and wake up call since I have never had blood pressure problems. Called my doctor and she put me back on Synthroid. Been on it for three weeks but don't believe I will see any dramatic changes for several months.

Just saying what has happened to me is not "just old age" but a change in medicine. UGH!!!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #10
Tebow's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkie4 View Post
Just saying what has happened to me is not "just old age" but a change in medicine. UGH!!!!!
Keep me posted! I'm on the L-thyroxine. I've had high blood pressure for quite a while but knew eventually I would...both parents and all the grandparents. None of them had the hypothyroidism. There does seem to be a dramatic change with stopping the dye so hopefully that is it. I'm really thinking I just can't tolerate dye anymore. No more itchy scalp as a bonus as well. No dandruff but just itch.

Last edited by Tebow's Mom; 06-28-2019 at 07:15 AM.