MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > Maltese News

Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
JesBred
Inactive Account

Arrow Wisconsin Rescue Update: Sanctuary Owner Charged

On Thursday, May 21, Jennifer Petkus, founder of the Thyme and Sage Ranch—a sanctuary once entrusted to care for homeless animals in Richland County, WI—was charged with 11 counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty and five forfeitures after nearly 400 animals were seized from her property. The charges include improper shelter and the mistreatment of animals by intent or negligence.

“The ASPCA Forensics Investigation Team is now beginning to evaluate the evidence they collected from the scene,” says Jeff Eyre, the ASPCA Director of Field Operations and lead investigator on the case. “This includes documentation of the injuries to the animals seized, causes of death and a review of sales, adoption and medical records. All evidence will then be turned over to Richland County authorities to aid in the prosecution of Petkus.”

Animal welfare organizations, in conjunction with the Dane County Humane Society, are currently housing many of the animals seized from the ranch. They include 315 dogs, 21 rabbits, 14 birds, two chinchillas, one cat, one ferret and one rooster. 23 horses also seized from the property are being housed at a Wisconsin horse rescue. Many of the animals are suffering from skin, eye and ear conditions, malnutrition and various internal infections.

Despite numerous attempts to have Petkus sign the seized animals over to authorities, so far she refuses to relinquish ownership. By law, the Dane County Humane Society cannot place any animals up for adoption until Petkus surrenders them or a judge mandates their release.

Petkus is currently free on a $10,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court today, May 29, at 1:00 P.M.

http://www.aspca.org/news/national/05-29-09.html#1
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Zo zo's mom
Donating MT 5000 Club Member

Ggrrrrr!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

What a horrible situation!!! I just don't get people when they still don't get it when they abuse animals and won't let go for the good of the poor things. I hope everything turns out for the best for all those poor innocent victims.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
zeek's mom
Donating MT 3000 Club Member

How sad for these poor animals. I wish there was a way we could do to the abuser's such as this woman, just what they do to these animals. GRRRRRRRR
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Zanadu'sMom
Donating MT 14,000 Club Member

I hate this, it makes me cringe and get SO angry and sad.
Cn you imagine they are supposed to save lives and they do this.
My Lord thank god I don't see this firsthand , I would be in jail .
Zanadu'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
Morkie4
Donating Member

What a pity...........and how sad for the animals. I know they will just get a slap on the hand and move on to doing it again somewhere else. Seems like once they become involved with animals and get caught, they just turn around and do it again. Stronger laws is what this country needs to protect all animals form humans.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Vylula
Donating MT 1000 Club Member

Um?? They have to have her sign them over? WTF??? That makes no sense to me. She lost all her rights...the sick bi***. I think she needs the death penalty.