MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > In Memory Of.. (R.I.P.)

Old 10-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Gme

In this last week 2 people I know lost their dog to GME. A couple of months ago another friend of mine lost her dog to this disease. All 3 dogs where young dogs. It was very sudden to 2 of them. It is a disease that strikes dogs around the age of 5. You might not know the people I am talking about (some of you do) but I want to make you aware of this dreadful disease since nobody has ever mentioned it in this forum.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
angeleyes
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

I am glad you brought this up as I haven't seen anything here either. There has been alot of posting about it on FB and mentions the babies that have died from it. I had never heard of it before that and I have been doing reading on it to make sure I know what It's about. It should make everyone here aware of it, it's very scary but being informed helps some.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Hmm, never heard of it. Can I just google GME?
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
MalteseJane
Maltese Authority

Granulometous Meningioencephalomyelitis

There is no test for it for Maltese right now.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...26575567447322
Old 10-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Zuly4034
Donating MT 2,000 Club Member

Thanks for letting us know . Its sad.
Zuly4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
anphelps
Donating Maltese Expert

Oh goodness, that is so tragic. I will pray for their peace during this difficult time. How tough it must be to lose a fluff at such a young age.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Maltluvr
MT Newbie

Gme

I am one of those people. GME is a terrible disease, and my darling Lola suffered with it for almost two years. I created a page in memory of Lola through the Morris Animal Fund. You can make donations to the GME research going on at UGA with Dr. Barber. This is important research that is Mapping Genes Associated with Inflammatory Brain Disorder in Dogs. To have the funds go directly to that study we have a sponsorship goal of $3000.00. I have set the time frame for one year to meet the target. The donations collected through Lola's page will be held until we reach our goal, and then 100% of that money goes to the UGA study. If you choose to donate, please choose the button that says "This donation is in honor or memory of” and choose “pet.” The other choices require you to have a recipient name and address for a card. I don’t need a card. I need all of to work together to find the gene that is responsible for the disease that robbed me of my dog. We all need to find this gene so that our beloved breed can be made safe from this. So, I am not a person who comes with my hand out, but today I am asking. Please donate to GME research. Lola and I thank you. (and don’t forget to sign the guest book!)

http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund

The study we are raising these funds for is:
Mapping Genes Associated with Inflammatory Brain Disorder in Dogs
Necrotizing meningoencephalitis (NME) is an inflammatory disorder of the brain and its surrounding membranes that affects small, purebred dogs, including the Pug, Maltese and Chihuahua. The cause of NME is unknown, and there is no way to definitively test for NME before death. NME has proven to be inherited within families of Pugs, which indicates that genetic factors play a role in its development. Researchers previously identified three regions of genetic difference that are associated with the development of NME in Pugs. This study will work to identify specific genetic mutations responsible for this disorder. The identification of genes associated with NME will improve understanding of the disease, allow for the development of DNA tests and potentially help in the development of more directed treatment strategies. Ultimately, DNA tests should allow for a dramatic reduction in the incidence of NME by changing breeding programs.
Principal Investigator: Dr. Renee M. Barber, University of Georgia; Dr. Renee M. Barber, University of Georgia, Fellowship Training Grant
Co-sponsor: Pug Dog Club of America
Study ID: D10CA-406
Maltluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
jdy
Donating MT 1,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Granulometous Meningioencephalomyelitis

There is no test for it for Maltese right now.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...26575567447322
yes, there is no testing for maltese at this time. i hope they can target this quickly. its just too upsetting.
jdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
love.my.babies
Donating Maltese Talker

I'm going to read up on GME and learn what it is because I have no clue and I've never ever heard of it. Thank you for informing us.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Maltluvr
MT Newbie

Gme

Quite informative.
Maltluvr is offline   Reply With Quote