MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > MalteseTalk – Talk about your Maltese

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

News from the Parkers

Yeti is five and never been sick until Tuesday night at midnight. I had just returned the night before from babysitting my youngest grand daughter. I guess if it had to happen, I am glad it happened while I was home. We were in bed and I came straight out of bed when I heard her gaging. They should make alarm clocks with a dog vomiting because there is no hesitating getting out of bed. My first thought, she ate some grass. However, no grass in her vomit, just food. She continued vomiting all night until about 10 the next morning. I had pills for vomiting but she threw it up. I was ready to take her to my vet, but my vet told me to dissolve the pill in water and syringe it in her mouth. She said to get her pedialyte and syringe in her mouth. She said do both a little at a time because they absorb all through the gums. She stopped vomiting and slept all day. She had a normal temperature. My vet called and text me all day which was nice to have her support. We both decided it would be better to monitor her. I have washed everything in the house. I don't have a clue why she got so sick. She is much better today. I wondered if there was something on my shoes since I had been in Los Colinas so I washed all my shoes. I am on my last load of bedding today and bath rugs. There is a puppy in the house but had labs ran on him, last vaccination, no worms, no parasites and deemed healthy. I picked him up the day before I left town. It was a rescue to some degree. My vet contacted me and ask me to try and help this family. The family paid high dollar for him. Some dog in their house did not like the puppy and was aggressive. I have offers from all over to place him but my mistake was letting Ben take care of him while I was gone. Poor little guy, I have not had the time to interact with him but Ben sure has. lol The puppy is not a Maltese. He is a piebald tux. Given to the wrong home, he would be over bred. My vet told me she did not understand why people paid high dollar for a dog, don't vet them and feed them Old Roy. Fortunately, I got in touch with the breeder. His mom is a 40x champion and she is a show secretary of some club. They could of returned him, but they would of lost their money. I did not know this information at the time and offered them $200 and they took it. The owners also had pit bulls and had this puppy with them because of the house dog(s) aggression. I don't know if they were being truthful with my vet or me. When I got the paperwork, I said, you told the vet this puppy was 15 weeks. She said, I know, I got it mixed up with my other puppy. My thought is they bought two puppies and there is a big difference in a 15 week puppy and a 9 week puppy. Since they both work, I figured that combination was not working. lol I ask them what food was the puppy eating. They said proplan. When I talked to the breeder, she said, no way would I feed proplan. So guys, I am exhausted but wanted to touch base. I also lived through taking care of a very spoiled grand daughter.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
MaxJack'sMom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

Wow! I would be exhausted too if I had to do all that, but you did save that puppy from a bad situation. What are you going to call him? Have you ever had a Lab before? Too bad the other puppy couldn't get into a better home.
What a wonderful thing you did.

Also, glad to hear that your little one is on the mend. It was nice of your vet to save you a trip and expenses for meds and such.

Now, go rest.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
bphslp
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJack'sMom View Post
Wow! I would be exhausted too if I had to do all that, but you did save that puppy from a bad situation. What are you going to call him? Have you ever had a Lab before? Too bad the other puppy couldn't get into a better home.
What a wonderful thing you did.

Also, glad to hear that your little one is on the mend. It was nice of your vet to save you a trip and expenses for meds and such.

Now, go rest.
He is a dachshund. Just so you know, my heart will always be with the labs. We trained and did Field and Trial for years. We have been discussing names. I liked Hooch or Yogi and Ben liked Blue. He likes the song about a dog named Blue. lol I am OK with Blue. Yeti is over her bout with vomiting. I have no clue what caused her to be so sick. If it happens again, I will have labs ran but so far so good. The best news, no other dog got sick.
bphslp is offline   Reply With Quote