MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum

Go Back   MalteseTalk.com Forums - Maltese Forum > General Discussion > Maltese Health & Foods

Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Home Again vs 24 hour pet watch

Which microchip do you use? Amore has 24 hour pet watch but my vet is home again and its $51! im trying to decide for Zoie. But I heard home again has a fee?
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
JanG
Maltese Authority

I can't remember which one we have but you might check with your local rescue organizations or local dog pound as they sometimes offer lower fees. One of our local rescues occasionally offers microchipping for $25 as a fund raiser.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Nikki's Mom
Donating MT 3,000 Club Member

When mine were microchipped, we got a free year of Home Again but we didn't re-enroll after the year was up. Didn't feel it was necessary. I figure that if one of them was ever lost, virtually all vets have scanners and the microchip would lead them back to me.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki's Mom View Post
When mine were microchipped, we got a free year of Home Again but we didn't re-enroll after the year was up. Didn't feel it was necessary. I figure that if one of them was ever lost, virtually all vets have scanners and the microchip would lead them back to me.
I read up on it a little and what are the benefits of the membership? Does it just send out a lost pet alert to all vets and 24/7 call service? I kinda want them to be under the same microchip company.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
JiJi's Mom
Donating MT 8,000 Club Member

I can't remember which one I got. But when I read about it pretty much the one you keep paying for is just for customer service. Go to your shelters and find out how much they charge.
JiJi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
I can't remember which one I got. But when I read about it pretty much the one you keep paying for is just for customer service. Go to your shelters and find out how much they charge.
Theres a humane society in the town i work in and they do it for $15 but only with a spay/neuter through them and I still havent decided if I want to get her spayed through them (Which is cheaper) or through our vet.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
JiJi's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Theres a humane society in the town i work in and they do it for $15 but only with a spay/neuter through them and I still havent decided if I want to get her spayed through them (Which is cheaper) or through our vet.
Most likely the human society. I've heard good and bad stories on them. I did my boy in a shelter but neutering is less risky than spaying. You will need to go and talk to the person who is actually going to do the procedure and see for yourself if you trust them.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki's Mom View Post
I did the exact same thing!
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Morkie4
Donating Member

All of mine are with the 24Petwatch. I have never paid anything to have my fluffs listed and I upload a current picture once a year to the site. The microchipping is $10 from a local low cost vet clinic in the next town over........my regular vet charges $45 to do it. Krissie will be getting a microchip next week and I will add her to the listing on petwatch.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiJi's Mom View Post
Most likely the human society. I've heard good and bad stories on them. I did my boy in a shelter but neutering is less risky than spaying. You will need to go and talk to the person who is actually going to do the procedure and see for yourself if you trust them.
I know the vet since I used to volunteer there. She neutered my old baby and was actually the one that told me about his heart murmur and she spayed Amore. She also does all the spay/neuters for the shelter animals including rabbits so shes good with anesthesia and small animals...Zoie is just my tiny baby though so I get worried shes 4 pounds 6 oz.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
JiJi's Mom

If you trust her then I see no problem. Most people get them fix when they turn six months. I waited till my girl got her first cycle. I think that's a choice you need to make. If your girl is hanging around un-neautered(if that's even word) dogs I would spayed her at six months. If not I don't see the big deal on waiting till she's full grown. The bigger they are the safer I would feel.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Emma's Mama
Maltese Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Zoie is just my tiny baby though so I get worried shes 4 pounds 6 oz.
Emma was spayed at about 5 and a half months - she was just a little over 3 pounds at the time. She was a little sore and fussy for three or four days after, but she was fine. It's nerve-wracking at the time but definitely for their own good in the long run. I had Em microchipped then as well (along with having a few stubborn baby teeth pulled!)
Emma's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
JesBred
Inactive Account

Ours are Avid chipped.. The only fee we have to pay is when we move to change our information
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
angeleyes
Donating MT 4,000 Club Member

Rosie is micro chipped that her breeder did, she said to just leave it in her name. No, I don't think so, when she gets spayed I'll have the vet read her chip so I know who it's through and change ownership. Belle and Sammy will get chipped when they get their spring shots. It's best to get her spayed around 6 months. I had Belle done at 6 months and 4 pounds and our vet specialized in small animals and used a laser so there was less blood loss. The only thing I would worry about when spaying at a low cost shelter or humane society is other dogs that have been around. Sammy's breeder had puppies from Sammy's mom and took the little girl to a vet college for her spay. The puppy came back sick with dog flu and almost died. Very sad to say the mom got the flu from the puppy and Penelope died in a day and a half. I'm always careful about what other dogs have been around. Before they had all their shots I would'nt vevn put them on the vets table with a blanket first. Most shelters can read most chips now. It sure would have been nice if they could have worked together about reading any chips.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Sami
Maltese Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
RThe only thing I would worry about when spaying at a low cost shelter or humane society is other dogs that have been around.
Im not to concerned about that. They shelter is separate from the clinic. They have one building thats the shelter and one thats half the clinic and half a doggy day care.